I play acoustic guitar, currently equipped with size 12 strings. Due to my troubles with tendonitis and trouble barring chords I've decided to switch to lighter strings, namely a size 10.

So my questions are these:

1. Should I replace each string one by one? Or should I remove all of my currently equipped strings and then replace them with the lighter strings?

2. Will I need to adjust the truss rod after equipping the lighter strings?

3. Is there anything else I should know that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!
Do it one by one, If you were to remove them all it would dramatically decrease tension on the neck. I believe if you do it and then re string it, it can cause problems

And the truss rod might need adjusting, you won't know for sure before you do the restring
Quote by GonzoBeatz
Do it one by one, If you were to remove them all it would dramatically decrease tension on the neck. I believe if you do it and then re string it, it can cause problems

Lol no.

10s are crazy light. Try some 11s first.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt

10s are crazy light. Try some 11s first.

I realize that, about 8 months into serious guitar playing I've encountered a neverending stream of problems with my arm/elbow/wrist/hand/fingers and have seen a number of doctors and even gotten a carpal tunnel release. I'd rather go crazy light for the sake of playing then try 11s, realize they're still a bit too tough, and have to restring my guitar AGAIN.
real men use 15s
haha nah i feelya i used ot use 13s but had to go down to 12s

but you can remove them all the same time as long as you dont just cut them under tension

and i can pretty much guarantee that your going to need to adjust the guitar for the new lower tension
and 10s are really light for acoustic strings maybe try 11s first?

EDIT
alsoareyou sure your techniques up to par i odnt kow what your issue is exactly but make sur eot play with proper techniue and wahtnot to stop any more damage
Last edited by supersac at Apr 27, 2013,
I've poured hours into research and analyzing my technique and posture. As far as I can tell, there's nothing I'm doing wring. I haven't the slightest ****ing clue as to what could still be contributing to my issues. It's brought me frustration and aggravation to no end.
I don't have anything to contribute properly here but I just want to point out I use 9s, I win.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by fruitdrank
I've poured hours into research and analyzing my technique and posture. As far as I can tell, there's nothing I'm doing wring. I haven't the slightest ****ing clue as to what could still be contributing to my issues. It's brought me frustration and aggravation to no end.

sorry to hear that
its a damn shame
12s to 10s is a fairly drastic change. changes are your neck will move. however, every guitar is different, so we cant tell you how much or if, my guess if yes it will.

personally if i were lazy, i would do nothing, wait a few days to a week and notice the change and adjust acordingly

if i was proactive, i might tighten the truss rod about 1/8 turn max and wait to see the effects. i would give your neck about 1 week atleast to settle. its wood. it moves. very. slowly.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I found that the biggest improvement (I get tendonitis) came from using a shorter strap which made me play with my wrist straighter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use Erine Ball acoustic slinky, I personal believe that lighter strings are better on Acoustic guitar. It has a lighter sound to me. Maybe that because I play Southern Rock/Bluegrass/Classic Rock/Country.

Answer to you question.
1.Do it one at time, that way the guitar get use to it.
2. You may have adjust the rod, also be aware out the slotted nut. I went from light to heavy one time when I was a teenager one time. It worn the slotted nut out and I had to get it replace by my grandfather.
3. Just a tip, I prefer Erine Ball Acoustic Slinky. I believe I use the light, I have not have string break on me in awhile with those and they have a little comfortable feel. The also have some more give and you are able to bend a little better.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Apr 28, 2013,