Hi, today I bought a used Ibanez beginner acoustic electric guitar, along with a used Line 6 electric guitar amp. I also picked up a quality cable to hook it up. The guitar and amp are in very good condition, and I got a free 1 year warrantee on them I know pretty much nothing about acoustic electric guitars and amps, I just wanted an acoustic guitar that I could occasionally play like an electric guitar. So when I got home, I plugged it in and turned the amp on, turned up the volume a bit, messed a bit with one or two odd knobs, and then saw the metal distortion. I switched from clean to metal distortion eagerly, just to practically have my eardrums burst by a god-awful, moaning, extremely loud sound from the amp. I quickly pulled out the cable from the amp and shut off the amp in fright :P What is going on???? I'm scared to even turn on the amp!!!! Is there something that I should have known???? Help pleeease!!!!
The guitar probably started to feedback, the vibrations caused by the high gain sound on the amp fed back through the acoustic and caused a loop (where it gets amplified further in a continuous cycle), this is called feedback.

Acoustic guitars can be used with guitar amps but they arent designed to be played with "metal distortion" and having feedback issues is to be expected if you do.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Well it's hard to tell exactly what your talking about. When you say moaning I think of something else.. so..

It could possibly just be feedback, cause you had the volume up loud with the distortion. Feedback is pretty much when your strings vibrate from the soundwaves coming from the amp.

There's nothing wrong, you also just have to remember that when you switch to a distorted channel the volume will increase.

If you could provide a sound sample it would be better but I doubt it's anything. Also I'm not too sure how an acoustic sounds like through an amp designed for electric guitars as I've never tried it before. Someone fill me in?
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
I plugged my Taylor into my Blues Jr. earlier and it did the same thing. It's completely normal. Electric guitars don't feedback like that because they work off magnets inside of the pickups rather than microphones used inside acoustics.

However, if I was you, I would get an electric guitar if you want to play with distortion regardless if it was giving you problems or not.
Acoustics feedback like this at high volumes even without distortion. It's normal, you just have to avoid it the best you can.
I would not recommend using an acoustic guitar with "metal distortion" or even moderate distortion.
Quote by Bigbazz
The guitar probably started to feedback, the vibrations caused by the high gain sound on the amp fed back through the acoustic and caused a loop (where it gets amplified further in a continuous cycle), this is called feedback.

Acoustic guitars can be used with guitar amps but they arent designed to be played with "metal distortion" and having feedback issues is to be expected if you do.

Thanks for the help so far everyone so if I don't use a distortion channel, will I be fine? Will the guitar still feedback even on a clean channel? How can I avoid this, and what are some other things I should know about playing an acoustic electric on an electric guitar amp? Any help is appreciated!
You will not hurt your amp at all.

Use the clean ch of the amp and possibly the blues channel.

Electric guitar amps are not designed to sound good with Acoustic-electric guitars. You would really need an Acoustic guitar amp to get the best out of your guitar.

Get your self a cheap electric to use if you want to play metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate