Grandmother found a guitar and brought it to me. Its not bad, or at least it wasnt. Its a Fender Strat from 1992-93 made in Japan. Well, I like the paint and I dont have a real strat, so I wanna restore/repair this guitar. to the best of my knowledge this may not be possible.
Can anyone give me some thoughts on this?

"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Some of those cracks look scary but once you strip the paint you will know for sure. If that is a MIJ Fender Strat I would say keep it and fix it up. You might have to do some filling in the cracks and then sanding to get it back to smooth and without cracks. Best of luck and congrats on the new strat, pretty cool grandma if you ask me.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I really dont want to strip the paint. Its like a sunburst+flame maple. Its beautiful. the cracks mar it, but does kinda give it character (am i odd?) although, that "hole" in the rose floyd. (3rd pic) kinda worries me. I had to literally break the plastic cover off. (theres a screw still in there too, cant get it out)
And thank you btw.

So you want to repair the cosmetics while keeping the color?? that's what I read your post as, I just don't think that's possible, with out stripping the paint and filling the wood, especially that part near the switch.

It's not like any of that stuff would effect the playability, it's just cosmetics. Replace what you want parts wise and have at it or strip it completely and truly refurbish it.

Don't people pay a lot of money for guitars that look like they've been thrown down concrete stairs now a days? You could be sitting on a gold mine lol
well, my first concern was that the wood itself may have gotten damaged. but after doing some research, it may just be the layers of paint and clear coat that got damaged. that said, i do see some of these parts need replacement. Im not sure, but I think this has some water damage. it looks like the wood absorbed water, swelled and crack from the inside. (as well as being dropped as in pic 2) the pups r shot, the saddle is rusted bad.
sorry, I was not clear initially. its what I now believe to be water damage.

PS. sorry, what is a MIJ?

MIJ=made in Japan

I guess that's possible, I'd be concerned about the neck then as well if there was possible water damage, that's warp city right there. Do those cracks go around the body? Or is it just the front?
A lot of them go around.
is there something special about MIJ' Fenders?

Nothing too special about MIJ fenders, they just tend to be held in higher regard to MIM fenders. The craftsmanship and attention to detail seem to be what helps these instruments hold their value.

That being said if your guitar has taken on some water damage it might have more trouble than meets the eye. Water causes wood to well and if this is under the clearcoat then it will affect the wood. Hopefully you do not have any water damage to the neck. I would check the frets to see if they are level, or better yet tune it up and see how it sounds acoustically.

As far as the screw that is stuck in the guitar just drill a small hole near the screw and use needle nose pliers to pull it out. It would be even better if you could get the pliers in there prior to drilling the hole.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Apr 27, 2013,
fix the gouges with wood putty and put a new set of springs and strings on it, plug it in and go from there. it will be an authentic road worn strat.
By the looks of it some of the hardware is a little rusted (not sure if that's just the picture though). If that's the case, you might want to get at least a new bridge, if not a complete new set of hardware.
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Quote by DJ_Effrey
By the looks of it some of the hardware is a little rusted (not sure if that's just the picture though). If that's the case, you might want to get at least a new bridge, if not a complete new set of hardware.

yes I was planning on replacing the hardware. their rusted to all hell.

That being said if your guitar has taken on some water damage it might have more trouble than meets the eye. Water causes wood to well and if this is under the clearcoat then it will affect the wood. Hopefully you do not have any water damage to the neck. I would check the frets to see if they are level, or better yet tune it up and see how it sounds acoustically. As far as the screw that is stuck in the guitar just drill a small hole near the screw and use needle nose pliers to pull it out. It would be even better if you could get the pliers in there prior to drilling the hole.

I cannot tell, but the frets are fine and aside from needing a new nut the neck is in great shape. All there is some smudges on the fretboard from what im assuming is use.
and thanks for that info on getting the screw out, ill try that when i can.

Thanks everyone, youve been awesomely helpful I think I can get this guitar to be my new baby after some tlc!

I wouldn't be to concerned about the "flame" finish because that look to be the fotofinish to me (so its a photo not a veneer)...you said the necks ok so I would just make sure the cracks aren't going deep enough that at some point the guitar might split apart and if they aren't then just replace the rusted hardware and maybe the pick ups and leave the body be...it is relic'd in a way