Hi all, yet again I've had an idea for a guitar build, but I don't know where to get a fretboard. I'm a complete beginner so I can't slot, fret or inlay at all. Would anyone know where to get a preslotted and fretted Maple fingerboard in the UK?
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Quote by Wesbanez
You're not going to find a pre fretted maple fretboard. Id be surprised if you can find any pre fretted board.

How are you going to glue and clamp a fretted board to the neck?

I use these guys for most stuff I can't source locally : http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/

Thanks.
Can't you clamp a fretted board to the neck? Seems simple.
(Oh, and I can't fret because I have no equipment or experience for that.)
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
www.stewmac.com has pre-slotted maple fretboards for $14, but you would need to fret it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
www.stewmac.com has pre-slotted maple fretboards for $14, but you would need to fret it.

Thanks, how should I fret it? It's quite a difficult task, isn't it?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Quote by Boonnoo666
Thanks, how should I fret it? It's quite a difficult task, isn't it?

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading before getting your hands dirty. I don't think you have a good understanding of the steps involved in instrument building.

I would personally recommend a book called Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. Good place to start
Quote by Wesbanez
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading before getting your hands dirty. I don't think you have a good understanding of the steps involved in instrument building.

I would personally recommend a book called Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. Good place to start

I actually have it haha.
I think I need to read it a bit more :P
In the meantime, do you think I should just buy paddle necks?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
For the time being I would possibly build the body but buy a pre made neck.

I have done lots of various tasks in building/re-pairing guitars, but I have not tried to make a neck because there are so many cheap necks available
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
For the time being I would possibly build the body but buy a pre made neck.

I have done lots of various tasks in building/re-pairing guitars, but I have not tried to make a neck because there are so many cheap necks available

Yeah, good point.
Any reccomendations on where to get good cheap necks?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Ebay
www.guitarfetish.com
www.byoguitar.com
www.allparts.com
www.warmoth.com

All these sites ship world wide, not sure of the UK/Europe sites, maybe someone else can help there. Guitarfetish and byoguitar are fairly cheap. Warmoth is excellent but can be very expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Ebay
www.guitarfetish.com
www.byoguitar.com
www.allparts.com
www.warmoth.com

All these sites ship world wide, not sure of the UK/Europe sites, maybe someone else can help there. Guitarfetish and byoguitar are fairly cheap. Warmoth is excellent but can be very expensive

Thanks, they're a bit higher priced than what I was thinking, I was considering CH Guitars, what do you think of them?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
I have no experience with them, but if the price is right why not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Eden guitar necks on ebay are a decent choice, personally i've built a guitar with a maple/maple + black (jackson style) shark fin inlay.

here's a neck they have on sale, loads more in their store. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EDEN-Paddle-Guitar-Neck-Maple-w-Binding-Shark-Fin-Inlay-24-Jumbo-Frets-AANJ-Heel-/160917535025?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25776eb931

pros
-cheap, got mine for $40 + $25 shipping (to australia, did an offer for 40 and it was accepted, normal price around 50 at the time?)
-side dots on both sides, if you're a lefty this is great, i'm left handed but play guitar, so it's not needed but i like to see it done)
-quality is better than i expected for a 40$ neck, the wood itself even has a half decent grain.
-loads of styles to choose from, + paddle headstocks are great for custom shapes.

cons, mostly quality related;
-inlays were not perfect, but the fix was simple, little bit of wood glue and a clamp overnight, good to go.
-frets were a little short on the sides, i'd probably rather they hung out a little so i could file the ends off, but this could have been related to posting expansion/contraction
-frets just placed in, you'll need to do a full fret job, so a fret level, crowning, and smoothing/polish.
-limited to what styles are there, though it may be possible to contact them and get somewhat custom necks done?
-neck profile/thickness is not noted on the page, my neck was maybe a nice full feeling C? possibly a bit thick for some but I'm fine with it. the other necks may have different profiles, is more my point, though they may be similar to the necks they look to recreate

price wise, at 65 USD i'm totally happy with it, i knew i had some work to do on it, but it's came out as good as, if not better than i expected, especially at the price.

while no doubt, warmoth, carvin, etc necks will be much higher quality, i think if you don't have so much money (but have more time to get them into shape) this neck should work.

anywho that kinda sounded like i was marketing them, but ohwell, hopefully i'll have a thread of the guitar i built soon. (it's done i just gotta get pictures/videos/words etc together)
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Ignore all those. You don't want to buy something from an American site because then you'll need to not only pay high shipping costs but also high import fees, customs fees and VAT. There's also the issue that if something goes wrong—and there's a high chance of that with an unfinished neck being shipped internationally—you can't do anything about it.

Axesrus have cheap necks to fit Strat and Tele bodies. WDmusic and Allparts' UK websites also sell them; make sure you're not ordering from the American ones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A friend of mine bought a Neck from Warmoth, amazing quality. He then decided to ditch his cheapy body (that he got the neck for) and bought a Warmoth body too, beautiful guitar. They make some good stuff, I highly recommend. Just make sure you know it will fit your body.

My friend paid £35 customs/vat total on his body, finished (the finish was damn expensive, almost as much as the body itself) with a 2Tek bridge so it wasn't too bad, not sure how much on the neck, it isn't too bad though.

I'm in the UK by the way, nothing wrong with ordering from Warmoth, they make amazing stuff and the customs isn't that big of a deal price wise.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 29, 2013,
I am aware. I have made many 'partscasters' myself using Warmoth parts, and have put such things together for many friends, too.

However, there is no point paying more than you need to, especially when you're starting out. There's also simply never any need to pay extra shipping and import charges when shops in this country carry the same quality without the additional fees. Even Axesrus have started stocking Musikraft necks, at a price that is lower than ordering the same thing from either Musikraft or Warmoth directly.

I would also add that Warmoth's necks need a lot of work, they charge extra for otherwise basic things, their neck finishes are terrible and their double truss rod is a god-awful idea that never should have seen the light of day. Their bodies are great. Use Warmoth for bodies and Musikraft or USACG for necks, if you want the best quality.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I am aware. I have made many 'partscasters' myself using Warmoth parts, and have put such things together for many friends, too.

However, there is no point paying more than you need to, especially when you're starting out. There's also simply never any need to pay extra shipping and import charges when shops in this country carry the same quality without the additional fees. Even Axesrus have started stocking Musikraft necks, at a price that is lower than ordering the same thing from either Musikraft or Warmoth directly.

I would also add that Warmoth's necks need a lot of work, they charge extra for otherwise basic things, their neck finishes are terrible and their double truss rod is a god-awful idea that never should have seen the light of day. Their bodies are great. Use Warmoth for bodies and Musikraft or USACG for necks, if you want the best quality.

I disagree, the neck that my friend recently bought was amazing, perfectly finished (satin type finish) and the TuSQ nut was well fitted (though needed additional filing on the initial setup, it was to be expected) and the fretwork was flawless. I thought his finished (loaded pickguard from Bareknuckle, the only parts not from Warmoth) guitar was good enough that it kinda made buying a MIA Fender pointless, since he got what I deemed a higher quality guitar than the majority of USA Strats i've played, with his custom specs for less money.

I don't have experience with a wide variety of Warmoth necks, but that one in particular opened my eyes to how good their stuff is.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 30, 2013,
I do have experience with a wide variety of Warmoth necks and the only time I was ever impressed by them was the very first one I bought, which was also the first replacement neck I had.
Once you see a few, you'll 'get it'. Warmoth make great bodies and terrible necks. All my own parts builds now still have their Warmoth bodies but the necks have been dumped for Musikraft and MIA Fender ones; of the seven other parts builds I've put together or helped put together for/with friends, only one of those also still has its Warmoth neck, the rest replaced by Musikraft and USACG. With Warmoth you're paying more, getting less and still have to do more work yourself. The other two take care of everything, are cheaper, are more smartly designed and simply better constructed. There's just no point whatsoever in buying a neck from Warmoth.