Well I came to ask this cause my friends put a Blackout in his Squier guitar which is HSS solid body no pick guard, in just in a few practices the battery dies, I check his guitar the other day and it doesn't have 250k pots, he is using regular 500k pots he told me didn't change them cause the pots that came with the Blackout were too short to get to the surface, now my question is the battery getting cause of the 500k pots? or is it that it still has 2 single coils that are passive?
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
He needs to unplug the guitar when it's not in use. The pickups are only active when it's plugged in (unless he wired it wrong).

Also, he needs 25K pots, and the ones that came with it will definitely work on a Squire.
Quote by W4RP1G
He needs to unplug the guitar when it's not in use. The pickups are only active when it's plugged in (unless he wired it wrong).

Also, he needs 25K pots, and the ones that came with it will definitely work on a Squire.

still gets drain we have tested it, another suggestions a bad ground or something?
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
If he has the battery's ground lead connected to anything but it's own lug on the output jack, then the pickup may be active all the time. He should be using a stereo jack, and the battery ground lead should have it's own lug.
I find it hard to believe the pots would be too short. You can always try slightly drilling the control cavity to make it a little deeper to sort that though. Did he replace the jack with the stereo jack? If you just wire the battery negative and ground to the sleeve terminal on a mono jack, it won't switch off the battery when it's unplugged.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I find it hard to believe the pots would be too short. You can always try slightly drilling the control cavity to make it a little deeper to sort that though. Did he replace the jack with the stereo jack? If you just wire the battery negative and ground to the sleeve terminal on a mono jack, it won't switch off the battery when it's unplugged.

thank you!!! that makes ****ing sense!!! definitely gonna check that out, thank you all for the fast replies
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
and the culprit was the jack that is a mono jack, so my friend is gonna buy the long stereo jack in the next few days and changing the pots, thank you again for the info
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
It will sound better with the 25k pots also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It will sound better with the 25k pots also

Pot value doesnt affect the tone of active pickups. actives have built in low output-impedance amps. thats why they arent susceptible to noise.
Actually, pot values do effect the sound of active pickups, quite a lot. The whole problem with mixing active and passive pickups is that they require such different values of pot; passives with active's 25k or 50k pots will have very low output and very little treble, giving a muted tone, while actives with passives' 250k or 500k pots will sound extra-bright and have even more output than usual.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Everyone has their opinions. ive experimented with different pot values on actives and never heard a difference as with changing pots values on passives. i guess your ears are just better than mine...
My get a stereo jack if it does not have one, they have two tabs and you use it to only complete the circuit when it's plugged in
I think the only difference pot values make in tone is if you're using tone controls. They just change how much treble is bled through the cap when the tone is on full.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well with passives there are definitely noticable effects when the volume pot value is changed. the volume pot is basically strapped across the signal and lower values put a heavier load on the signal causing treble loss and dragging down output level to an extent.
Yeah, I suppose there is probably a bit of difference from the amount of signal that gets sent to ground and everything, but I still think the tone control or lack thereof makes more difference than whether you put in a 500-k or 250-k volume pot.
EH

Quote by Invader Jim
Pot value doesnt affect the tone of active pickups. actives have built in low output-impedance amps. thats why they arent susceptible to noise.

It does affect tone, but more it basically makes the pickups on 0 or 10 and no middle ground.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Probably because, in all fairness, there aren't many guitars around that have active pickups and no volume or tone controls, let alone mixes of active and passive pickups in the same guitar to compare directly. They're not sounds many people get to hear. It's worth trying though, if you have a spare axe and parts to play with.

I can't stand tone controls at all and never really use volume controls either, so the no control approach is something I've played with a lot and there most definitely is a big difference with pickups of all types.

Quote by eddiehimself
I think the only difference pot values make in tone is if you're using tone controls. They just change how much treble is bled through the cap when the tone is on full.
No. Just no. Go experiment with some guitars, disconnect some tone controls, swap some values, disconnect volume controls, etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Of course a pot in the circuit affects the tone. That's the beauty of a direct-out switch, it bypasses all pots and gives you only the pickup tone(which will be brighter with no pots. I have always wondered how actives would sound with not pots in the circuit, seeing that they use very low resistance pots to begin with.