I recently ditched Digital modeling and started buying Individual pedals, but I'm looking for the right tube amp to power my sound...
The gear I'm using is a Schecter guitar with EMG 81/85 pickups and an Ibanez Artcore AF75.
I have a DL4 and a TC Hall of Fame Reverb
The sound I'm after is something that can go from clear sounding cleans to distorted
lead tones (though I don't play metal, it's not the sound I'm after).

Here's a vid of a song from my band:
Youtube: /watch?v=QT9IxsiBY8k
(The sound quality is not so good)

I'm mainly looking for a tube combo that can handle rehearsals and medium sized gigs (such as the one in the video). We were mic'd in that one but it's always good to hear your sound on stage rather than trying to guess what you're sounding like...
Also, I recently heard a tube amp head with a 2x10 cab, and it sounded really great.. and I wanted to know the difference between a combo and that setup.

I've looked into Blackstar Amps, The Hot Rod Deluxe and the Vox AC30(though I don't know if those two can handle the distortion I need).
My budget is $900 usd
Last edited by Monev at Apr 28, 2013,
it's really hard to say without knowing what the combo and cab in question were- they could be virtually identical, or quite a bit different.

if everything else is equal, the only real difference is likely to be that the combo might be slightly more prone to microphonics and rattling.

however, combos tend to be open-backed (not always, but usually), might have different speakers than the cab, might use different materials and dimensions for the cabinet, etc. etc. etc. so there could be quite a big difference, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you get head + cab your tubes will last longer than if you buy combo. In combo amp tubes suffer from vibrations caused by the speaker.
I wouldn't worry about the combo vs head/cab thing.

I think you need to focus on the type of sound you are after first.

That Vox, Fender and Blackstar are all pretty different.

Can you just tell us what kind of music you play, what bands you sound like, genres etc and what the heaviest tone is that you achieve?

Unless you have a specific requirement for 10s I'd stay away from 10" guitar speakers.

Dave hit upon the differences tonally. I prefer head/cabs: cause you can swap out cabs, troubleshoot problems, closed back config, better tone imo, you can separate amp from speakers, etc
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Unless you have a specific requirement for 10s I'd stay away from 10" guitar speakers.

This.
If you go the head+cab route, then a 212 cab would be a much better option for modern music.

In regards to your concern about the Hotrod Deluxe and the Vox Handling the distortion you need, they can HANDLE it, but they don't really have it on tap.
BUT, those two amps have decent clean channels. Both different but each not to bad at all. What you could do is just run them clean with a nice distortion pedal.
It is always something to consider, and it is what I do. Personally, I use a Creation Audio Labs Holy Fire, and it is an amazing distortion pedal but there are many great options out there that would work just fine.

AC30 + Hall of Fame + DL4 + Distortion Pedal would be a great rig for rock music.
If you like this option, we can easily recommend some distortion pedals for you if you give us a few examples of the kind of tones you are after.

Good luck dude
You should narrow down what amp you want before deciding head vs. combo. Don't paint yourself in a box just looking for one or the other. Now, if you decide you want (This is purely arbitrary) a JCM800, then you can look at the merits of the head vs. the combo.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
You should narrow down what amp you want before deciding head vs. combo. Don't paint yourself in a box just looking for one or the other. Now, if you decide you want (This is purely arbitrary) a JCM800, then you can look at the merits of the head vs. the combo.

+1
Good advice
Thanks a lot for the advice, I need an amp that can handle cleans well, and the distortion can come from either a pedal or the amp itself.. here's a video of my band performing one of our songs so you can see my style of playing:
YouTube. Com /watch?v=QT9IxsiBY8k

The distortion sound I'm after is something like this:
http://db.tt/s6QNAT6X
http://deluxeguitars.com.au/wampler-slostortion.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/wampler-triplewreck.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/weehbo-bastard.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/drscientist-elements.asp

These kind of pedals will probably get you in the ballpark. I am sure there are less expensive options available, but these are the few that spring immediately to mind.
Of course, these are only necessary if you decide to go the clean amp + pedal route.

A two channel amp might be worth a look though. Particularly if you are willing to go used.

See the poster above me, name of 311? In his sig you will se a hyperlink entitled "Cool lookup site".
Click on it, choose the area you wish to search and then look for things.

For example, I searched "All of Craigslist" for "Mesa Rectoverb" and the first option was a Rectoverb Combo in New York for $800.
(PS If you are in New York, that is a totally viable option for your sound )

Some things I would try searching:

Mesa Rectoverb Combo
Mesa Single Rectifier Combo
Mesa Express
Mesa DC Combo
Mesa Nomad Combo
Mesa Mark 4 Combo
Peavey JSX Combo
Peavey XXX Combo
Peavey Ultra Combo
Marshall DSL Combo
Marshall TSL Combo
Marshall JCM 900 SLX Combo
VOX AC30 Combo (allow for Drive pedal)
Fender Twin (Allow for Drive Pedal)
Orange AD30 Combo
Orange TH30 Combo
Orange Rocker 30 Combo (Not sure if all of these Oranges actually came as combos but try anyways)
Hughes and Kettner Statesman Quad Combo (Allow for Drive Pedal)

Some of these could be found as heads also if you decide on the head+cab route.

There are probably more options as well. I am not sure if you will be able to find all these in your price range, as I am Australian and unfamiliar with the finer points of the US Used market but they should all come pretty close I guess.
Happy hunting dude
Quote by T7E
http://devluxeguitars.com.au/wampler-slostortion.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/wampler-triplewreck.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/weehbo-bastard.asp

http://deluxeguitars.com.au/drscientist-elements.asp

These kind of pedals will probably get you in the ballpark. I am sure there are less expensive options available, but these are the few that spring immediately to mind.
Of course, these are only necessary if you decide to go the clean amp + pedal route.

A two channel amp might be worth a look though. Particularly if you are willing to go used.

See the poster above me, name of 311? In his sig you will se a hyperlink entitled "Cool lookup site".
Click on it, choose the area you wish to search and then look for things.

For example, I searched "All of Craigslist" for "Mesa Rectoverb" and the first option was a Rectoverb Combo in New York for $800.
(PS If you are in New York, that is a totally viable option for your sound )

Some things I would try searching:

Mesa Rectoverb Combo
Mesa Single Rectifier Combo
Mesa Express
Mesa DC Combo
Mesa Nomad Combo
Mesa Mark 4 Combo
Peavey JSX Combo
Peavey XXX Combo
Peavey Ultra Combo
Marshall DSL Combo
Marshall TSL Combo
Marshall JCM 900 SLX Combo
VOX AC30 Combo (allow for Drive pedal)
Fender Twin (Allow for Drive Pedal)
Orange AD30 Combo
Orange TH30 Combo
Orange Rocker 30 Combo (Not sure if all of these Oranges actually came as combos but try anyways)
Hughes and Kettner Statesman Quad Combo (Allow for Drive Pedal)

Some of these could be found as heads also if you decide on the head+cab route.

There are probably more options as well. I am not sure if you will be able to find all these in your price range, as I am Australian and unfamiliar with the finer points of the US Used market but they should all come pretty close I guess.
Happy hunting dude

Wow, thanks, this helps a lot!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Dave hit upon the differences tonally. I prefer head/cabs: cause you can swap out cabs, troubleshoot problems, closed back config, better tone imo, you can separate amp from speakers, etc

and agreed about the 10s- lots of players love 10s, but I'd advise not going for 10s unless you've tried them and know you like them. it's just the safer option.

Quote by Monev

The distortion sound I'm after is something like this:
http://db.tt/s6QNAT6X

step away from the fender and vox...

you pretty much want a high gainer for those type of tones...

and yeah, 12" speakers for that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 29, 2013,
+1

Yeah - I didn't mean to say guitarist don't use 10" speakers. That was probably irresponsible of me

I think I saw Schecter, EMGs, Artcore, DL4 and Hall of Fame and assumed he would be better off with 12s

Edit: didn't listen to clip
pretty much a fairly modern-sounding (but not supersaturated) rhythm distortion tone. Kinda like a recto.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty much a fairly modern-sounding (but not supersaturated) rhythm distortion tone. Kinda like a recto.

I didn't know how to describe it, but I guess I do now, thanks for that
don't take my word for it, i'm reliably terrible at recognising recorded tones!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I definitely thought Recto in that clip.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
yay
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?