Yet another NGD thread, in the wake of what's been pretty much a full-on revision of my rig, minus amp heads and pedals. This time, it's the guitar I chose to replace the explorer I recently sold. Was too busy jamming with this thing for awhile/having a fun/celebratory day yesterday after buying it to post a thread until today. With that said, behold! (And sorry for the sub-par pics).

The included HSC. Time to play the guessing game everyone! What do you all think I ended up with?

A - Les Paul Studio?
B - Les Paul Standard?
C - Les Paul Custom?
D - Other LP model?
E - Some type of vintage LP in a new case?

Trick question. The answer is F - None of the above! (Not ragging on LP's, I love 'em too, everyone).

What's really inside is a brand new SG standard model, in classic white!

As standard fare w/my NGD threads, I'll throw in a review as well! Going by quality/finish, hardware/playability, sound/tone, and overall categories...

Quality/finish - Say what you will about newer Gibsons. Many feel that the QC of newer models is inconsistent, but it's safe to say this one is a pretty solid example of classic SG goodness. It is actually built quite a bit better than my explorer I used to have, and has the tone/feel to back that statement up. Beautiful cream-white paintjob, excellent neck binding and fretwork/fingerboard, solid-feeling, yet lightweight body and neck, and just an overall feeling of a great instrument where the extra $ you're spending is justified, and gets you class-act quality. Definitely not a "cheap" feeling guitar!

Hardware/playability - For those of you who may be curious, or may possibly have noticed, the new SG standard models are essentially quite similar to the old '61 reissue models. They now come with the half-size pickguard instead of the the "batwing" pickguards, '57 classic pickups instead of the 498T/490R combo, and have the slim-profile neck instead of the more rounded profile (thicker) neck. The neck is thicker than my old explorer, but thinner than some LP's I've played. It's a great middle ground for someone looking for the extra resonance and thick tone you get from extra wood, but want a fairly "fast" neck too.

The action was set at a moderate height, slightly higher than my personal liking from the factory, but needless to say, easy fix! The standard fare (for most Gibsons) tune-o-matic bridge is what you'll be adjusting action/intonation and slinging strings through on this thing. The body is extremely comfortable to sit down with, and also lightweight, so whether sitting or standing with this thing, you'll be comfortable for hours. Unrestricted upper fret access also makes playing leads on this thing a breeze.

Tone - Classic Gibson style-tone is found in spades here! Standard-fare Mahogany body and neck/rosewood fretboard are once again at work here, but I also feel the switch over to the '57 classic pickups was a good move on Gibson's part. They're full of rich, chimey, and overall great clean tones, and respond well to any amount of gain, from a light crunch to a wall of destruction, without sounding harsh or muddy. They sound great for almost anything I think.

Low end response of the 57's is definitely "spongier" than I'm used to (being used to EMG's and other high output passives), but that's just an observation, not a complaint. I certainly didn't buy an SG just to throw EMG's into it , but if you're thinking about using one of these strictly to play "Da br00tz", you'll likely want to consider a pickup swap. Personally, I'm planning to leave this thing completely stock, minus installing strap-locks.

Overall - Overall, the brand new (for 2013) SG standard models have come with a ton of awesome new updates/changes that you used to have to buy the more expensive '61 reissue model to get before (And to most, that should make the new standards more desirable than the previous standards they just replaced). If you've been considering a new SG, or any SG at all really, these updated models will not disappoint!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
WOW!

She's gorgeous, I'm super jealous man. HNGD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Hngd!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
awesome

Quote by FlightofIcarus

Overall - Overall, the brand new (for 2013) SG standard models have come with a ton of awesome new updates/changes that you used to have to buy the more expensive '61 reissue model to get before (And to most, that should make the new standards more desirable than the previous standards they just replaced). If you've been considering a new SG, or any SG at all really, these updated models will not disappoint!

it's a win-win- as you said, these have a lot of the upgrades that you'd have had to pay more for with the old '61 reissue, and cheapos like me can get last year's standard at blowout prices
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice, I like the white SG.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
awesome

it's a win-win- as you said, these have a lot of the upgrades that you'd have had to pay more for with the old '61 reissue, and cheapos like me can get last year's standard at blowout prices
Indeed! I was eyeballing going that route, but ultimately, I decided I was after a '61 RI style SG, or something as close as possible to it. Thankfully, the new standards made it easier to find one with such specs
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Very classy. HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Great guitar .. a white SG is a winner

** about quality control .. so many people only repeat what they've heard or read or base their review on 600 $ studio faded . The standard is still a solid guitar .. the difference from a 2012 from my 2001 = both as good IMO.

great guitar man .. im more of les paul guy .. but thats an awesome sg .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Indeed! I was eyeballing going that route, but ultimately, I decided I was after a '61 RI style SG, or something as close as possible to it. Thankfully, the new standards made it easier to find one with such specs

yeah

i'd have preferred the smaller pickguard and the '57s, but not enough to pay another 50% Plus now I have it I like the big pickguard, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HAHAHA I knew it was an SG by looking at the case, not sure how, but I just felt like it was an SG. And a sexy one at that too, HNGD man, the 57s are a pretty nice recreation of the PAF when I swap them out of my Traditional I think I am going to put them into my Explorer in place of the hotter pickups in it.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by Skysc
** about quality control .. so many people only repeat what they've heard or read or base their review on 600 $ studio faded . The standard is still a solid guitar .. the difference from a 2012 from my 2001 = both as good IMO.

great guitar man .. im more of les paul guy .. but thats an awesome sg .
Yeah, I was never a fan of the faded/studio models of Gibson stuff. There's just a lot more love and care put into the standard (and up) versions from what I've experienced in person. And on LP's - a local shop around here has a '74 LP Custom I was eyeballing - Too bad I'd have to sell my car to afford it!

Quote by ne14t
the 57s are a pretty nice recreation of the PAF when I swap them out of my Traditional I think I am going to put them into my Explorer in place of the hotter pickups in it.
That'd be a big upgrade IMO! . I was never a fan of the 500T/496R setup in my explorer. Lots of other hot passive pups out there I strongly prefer.

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't see why 57's can't do brutz tbh, they're bloody good pups.
Oh, you certainly can. I was just commenting on how they're a lot more open sounding, and less "in your face" than the hot pups I'm used to in guitars. They have great, warm chime!

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I take it your rig is now complete
Rig, complete? Nonsense! The guitarist's rig is NEVER complete!
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60