Got a Fender Frontman 15G with a Squire I bought for a friend. The amp powers on, but it's like the 1/4" input jack is broken. No guitar sound. When I put on the dirty channel, I get a lot of noise, but I do hear a little guitar signal. Is this common? I opened the amp and did not see anything obviously loose.

Before tossing in the garbage, can I use the Aux. RCA input jacks to plug my guitar in that way? Or will that not work, even if it was a defective 1/4" input jack? If so, I will buy a 1/4" to male RCA cable for $10 and salvage the amp.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
no offense but with the other gear you have I'm not sure why you are worried about this. Get yourself a proper amp. No, I don't think you can use the RCA jacks in such either way. Even if you could - just get a new amp.
If you wiggle the cable into the input jack and there is no change I doubt it's the jack...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no offense but with the other gear you have I'm not sure why you are worried about this. Get yourself a proper amp. No, I don't think you can use the RCA jacks in such either way. Even if you could - just get a new amp.

Yeah, seriously. Take this opportunity to get a nice preamp to use with your tech 21
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
This is a starter amp I got for a friend.
I use a Tech-21 Power Amp
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
Plugging into the RCA probably bypasses the preamp; these inputs are included to allow the use of an external music player to be played through the amp as a backing track - passing this through the pre's tone controls (and any effects) usually isn't desirable and so the RCA (which is just a line in) most likely goes directly to the power amp.
That's fine if you want to work it that way, but you loose the pre and so the power amp wont be driven to it's fullest capacity as the line-in is designed to take higher voltage signals than a guitar can deliver.
As a praccy amp it's probably fine though
Quote by DrummerKat
Plugging into the RCA probably bypasses the preamp; these inputs are included to allow the use of an external music player to be played through the amp as a backing track - passing this through the pre's tone controls (and any effects) usually isn't desirable and so the RCA (which is just a line in) most likely goes directly to the power amp.
That's fine if you want to work it that way, but you loose the pre and so the power amp wont be driven to it's fullest capacity as the line-in is designed to take higher voltage signals than a guitar can deliver.
As a praccy amp it's probably fine though

+1 even if the amp is shit, and the RCA jacks are functioning, pop an ipod in front so you have something to play over, for example backing tracks, app on android/iphone for a metronome.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/