Heya Pit,
I'm a 17 year old guy currently in my 11th year of school. I live in Chisinau, The Republic of Moldova aka middle of nowhere. Recently I have a big problem thinking about the career path I will proceed. Thing is, my main goal is to go to a university in France after graduating as I take some extra-curricular lessons for French where I'll get a diploma with which it'll be much easier to be accepted in a faculty. I was thinking to go for International Relations as I know 4 languages (Romanian, Russian, English, French), have just started learning all by myself Italian and will try to take lessons for Korean from next autumn. Right now I am not so sure about that, if it is what I like. It is probably because of the influence taken from playing guitar, the one thing I really like. I've been playing guitar for 2.5 years and it was the hobby that took all of my free time. Another thing to come into consideration is my volunteering experience. I'm a staff member of a volunteering summer camp where I got some good points in my CV. So the main question is how am I to cope with the fact that I can't choose a musical career path (that's what my parents told me since I first got a guitar in my hands) / what are some faculty ideas that I should get into consideration that I might like.
I don't want to question your ambition, but why france? Do they even have good universities apart from that one in paris?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Well, I overdid it by saying that I'd like to go just in France, perhaps any french-talking place from Europe. And mainly because it's cheap.
Quite ignoring the rest of your post, you should just accept that like nearly every other person who plays guitar in their teens, your dreams of being a musician will never come to anything. By all means pursue it as a hobby and who knows you might have fun with a band or even get a regular slot in a bar, but everyone eventually has to come to terms with the fact that their teen dreams will not happen.

In terms of jobs: if you know multiple languages well, you're sorted really. You can make a career out of just being able to speak to and understand people. As someone who only speaks English, I envy you.

Alternatively, become a pirate of the Black Sea.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't want to question your ambition, but why france? Do they even have good universities apart from that one in paris?

There are like 16 universities in Paris alone and most of them are pretty good. UPMC is probably the one you mean. I don't know much about education in France outside Paris but I know some guys who got degrees in other French universities and they've said good things too.

I'm mostly surprised that nobody has made a potato joke in this thread yet.
International relations is way better than guitar.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Well the thing that is blocking me from choosing IR with a 100% certainty is the fact that I'm not so good at public speaking and am not feeling so comfortable while doing it. Hate this part of me :\
Quote by Fujimaro
Well the thing that is blocking me from choosing IR with a 100% certainty is the fact that I'm not so good at public speaking and am not feeling so comfortable while doing it. Hate this part of me :\

Maybe take a year off and work on your weaknesses, like that, first?
Quote by Fujimaro

If there's one thing i've found about university is its a place to come out of your shell and grow as a person, i started off not being able to have simple conversations with new people but now i can walk around campus and bump into someone i know every five minutes.
Taking a year off school or university would mean my sentence to no finances from my parents, no other relations with them and no home to live. And I'm not kidding. I might try going to some NGOs where they give some lessons on that, but that means no more free time. At least it's worth the shot, no?
Quote by Fujimaro

Truthfully, that's a skill you'll need at some point no matter what you do though.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Fujimaro
Taking a year off school or university would mean my sentence to no finances from my parents, no other relations with them and no home to live. And I'm not kidding. I might try going to some NGOs where they give some lessons on that, but that means no more free time. At least it's worth the shot, no?

Well actually, you have plenty of time to develop your skills while you're at uni. Just go for it, you'll be fine as long as you work hard. You speak a shitton of languages so you've already got a huge advantage over lots of other people.
Which universities have you been looking at?
Quote by captainsnazz
Which universities have you been looking at?

I can't say that I researched a lot, but my main goal is University of Strasbourg. My mom is going there like 3 times a year and some family-time would be gladly accepted. Only bad thing about it is that I can't find price listing anywhere on it, only thing to do is to write them an e-mail asking them about it. Do you have any suggestions on some good universities in France? Just not Paris, it's hella expensive in there.