Page 1 of 2
I'm afraid this is a kind of "help me with my work" threads.

I'm doing a paper on British actors playing American characters, specifically from a linguistic perspective, but being English and unfamiliar with American accents I need a hand.

Whereabouts would you place Hugh lauries accent/dialect?

I know he works in New Jersey, trained in Michigan but grew up abroad, so no real clues there.
Quote by benonbass1

I'm doing a paper on British actors playing American characters, specifically from a linguistic perspective, but being English and unfamiliar with American accents I need a hand.

I know he works in New Jersey, trained in Michigan but grew up abroad, so no real clues there.

Hugh Laurie is from Oxford.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
his accent in house is american
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
British. Unless you mean in character when he talks normal. Then it's just normal.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's definitely a more East Coast accent. Otherwise, you'll have to talk to that dude from "My Fair Lady"
There's no such thing as an English accent or a British accent.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by ChucklesMginty
There's no such thing as a British accent.

Knowing is half the battle.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

I knew you guys were faking.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

I'm sure I see this exact sentence written like 3 times a week on this forum
It's the standard Midwest, neutral accent. You hear the same thing (with a less acerbic attitude) on the news every night.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

About ****ing time!
Can't help with pinpointing House accent but I'm interested in your work.

Have you included Andrew Lincoln, David Morrissey?
Idris Elba and Dominic West?
Damien Lewis?
Christian Bale?

For a few of those I was majorly surprised they weren't American.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
^ Tom Hardy's awesome as well, imo.

He does a lot with his voice for some roles. I loved the way he sounded in Lawless.

Gary Oldman does some great stuff with his voice as well.
Quote by magnus_maximus
There is such a thing as a "British accent", as in "an accent from somewhere in Britain", just not an accent that represents the WHOLE of Britain as is inferred by the phrase.

protip: we don't care about all of your accent distinctions so "british accent" works perfectly well.
i don't know why i feel so dry
^ I cannot notice any discernable difference.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by benonbass1

Not about Hugh Laurie, but these 2 chaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0oVG9bLHP0

Both from England. One from Sheffield oop t' north but educated at Eton in London, one from Hackney in London.

EDIT: The other bloke at the end is American but has lived a long time in London too.
i can't listen cause i'm in class but the first one says Scottish and i've seen the second movie. "british accent" would refer to english people. "english accent" would be more accurate but likewise we don't care about your geographic distinctions.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I'm gonna take this opportunity to bash The King's Speech as the most ******ed premise for a movie I've ever encountered.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I quite liked it, it didn't deserve all the awards it won but it was coo'.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I guess it must be tough for you Canadians to understand, being part of Mexico and all.

At least neither of them are part of America
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
At least neither of them are part of America

They are. As are Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.

Quote by Trowzaa
They are. As are Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.

At least they aren't part of the United States of* America.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Much better

Quote by eGraham
At least they aren't part of the United States of* America.

No his point was we own them.

And (as has been said) Dr. House's accent is the General American accent, aka the best one.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
British accents refer to English accents in America cause most of us don't know that other countries make Great Britain up. Ya know, since we don't live there. We know Scottish accents and Irish accents but call em as we see em.

sorry brits
Quote by Jacques-Henri
It's definitely a more East Coast accent.

Lol thinking everything must be from the coastal states.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm gonna take this opportunity to bash The King's Speech as the most ******ed premise for a movie I've ever encountered.

Yeah, what a stupid premise, basing a movie on something that actually happened, how crazy!

Daniel Day-Lewis is the man when it comes to complete transformations of voice, and body really. Dude is unbelievable.
Quote by benonbass1

its definitely not jersey. I don't notice particular notice an accent in his voice on house, it sounds normal to me, but I do live 5 mins from Michigan, so maybe thats what he was aiming for.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by BelowTheSun
Yeah, what a stupid premise, basing a movie on something that actually happened, how crazy!

Just because it happened doesn't mean it's worth making a 3 hour movie about

But I haven't seen it, it just sounds stupid. Wealthy privileged royalty can't talk right, how relatable & compelling.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by BelowTheSun

I took a really long, bloody shit the other day.

I think I have the makings of a suspense thriller.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Accents... In New Jersey, you don't say water, you say
"walder."
Quote by magnus_maximus

ily
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by ErikLensherr

But I haven't seen it, it just sounds stupid. Wealthy privileged royalty can't talk right, how relatable & compelling.

While normally I agree with the first statement it was actually a fairly well done movie.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by ErikLensherr

It's a British thing, a lot of us love our royalty.
Quote by BelowTheSun
It's a British thing, a lot of us love our royalty.

A lot of the British are mentally ******ed.

Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by magnus_maximus
So you're admitting to just being flat-out ignant.

Fair enough. Must be hard for you Columbians to keep track of all these small overseas countries
Yes, I mean we still call Native Americans "Indians" cause we thought this was India when we got here.
Quote by TunerAddict
A lot of the British are mentally ******ed.

Coincidence? I think not.

Hey, I'm no fan of the royalty. It's you Americans that gave The King's Speech Oscars and awards because it's about the royalty
Quote by mattyp90
Can't help with pinpointing House accent but I'm interested in your work.

Have you included Andrew Lincoln, David Morrissey?
Idris Elba and Dominic West?
Damien Lewis?
Christian Bale?

For a few of those I was majorly surprised they weren't American.

Damien Lewis has a good accent.

Christian Bale's on the other hand is ridiculous. Considering he's Welsh, nobody would think it. His voice must have permanently adapted to sound American. Although he does a good Cockney accent in The Prestige!
I was under the impression that Cockney was less of an accent and more of an impediment.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Page 1 of 2