I have an 80's telecaster that is set up for standard tuning, I play in drop D almost all of the time and it occurred to me that it would make sense for this guitar to be in that tuning. Is properly setting up my guitar for drop D as simple as adjusting only the lowest bridge saddle to give the string the proper amount of tension when tuned to D?
Maybe, maybe not. It's fairly likely that the change in tension on the neck will change the intonation of the other strings also. If this is the case it should be a matter of minor adjustments at the bridge.
yep
I can't imagine going from E Standard to Drop D having any real effect whatsoever. absolutely tiny change in tension.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I'm not too worried about the actual tension, it just gets flabby sometimes depending on chords/strumming. Hmmm so I could probably just move the bridge saddle back with no repercussions on other strings?
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Apr 30, 2013,
Quote by andyhatescrass
I'm not too worried about the actual tension, it just gets flabby sometimes depending on chords/strumming. Hmmm so I could probably just move the bridge saddle back with no repercussions on other strings?

Erm, all this is going to achieve is ruining your intonation on that string. Lets get back to basics here. Intonation in laymens terms is when your guitar is in tune throughout all the frets, tested by checking the open string (or 12th fret harmonic) with the fretted note at the 12th fret. They should read the same on the tuner, in tune.

If it isn't in tune you adjust this by moving the bridge saddles. If you move the bridge saddles to try to "get more tension" all you're going to achieve is messing up your guitars intonation, moving the bridge saddle back isn't going to really help you with your "flabby strings" in Drop D issue.

To fix that you want to change your string guage.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
... moving the bridge saddle back isn't going to really help you with your "flabby strings" in Drop D issue.

To fix that you want to change your string guage.

Agreed, you need heavier gauge strings.