To tell the truth, I'm not sure. But the only place that A makes sense in context, would be the 7th fret of the D-4 string.

An octave up would or should be marked "8va".
It's the 7th fret on the 4th string. The four with the circle around it, and dotted line following it, indicates that that melody should be on the fourth string.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
It's the 7th fret on the 4th string. The four with the circle around it, and dotted line following it, indicates that that melody should be on the fourth string.
So I was accidentally right then, and without listening no less?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 29, 2013,
Quote by XianXiuHong
What Dreadnought said.
Yeah well, the only difference is that he was sure and I wasn't.
Quote by Captaincranky
Yeah well, the only difference is that he was sure and I wasn't.

Sorry, I missed your post.

Anyway, what you said about the A on the D string being the only place that A makes sense, it would depend how you're thinking about the music. If you want to play the melody purely on the wound strings, you can go for it but there isn't really anything wrong with playing that A on the 3rd string. Playing the A on the 3rd string would allow you to preserve the harmony instead of having to release the C early in order to shift over to the A on the 4th string. Of course, there are other fingerings which would allow you to keep the A on the 4th string and preserve the melody and harmony but those fingerings are beyond the intended level of student this music was for.