I'm trying to replace an Ibanez that I loved, but don't have anymore. I can't remember the model number, but I remember it was promoted by association with a Megadeth guitarist. I can't remember which Megadeth guitarist, but it definitely wasn't Mustaine, and I don't think it was Marty Friedman either. I bought the guitar in 2006, new for about $500.

Can anyone help me recall the original model number, and recommend a modern replacement?
Last edited by BachRules at Apr 29, 2013,
The only guitarist I'm seeing that used Ibanez during his tenure with Megadeth was in fact Marty Friedman, and it was called the Ibanez MFM1:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/MFM1

Your closest bet would be to find a used Ibanez SZ, as that's what the MFM was based on. However, they stopped producing the SZ model in 2008 in favor of the SZR model, which was discontinued in 2010.
Quote by DoAndroidsDream
The only guitarist I'm seeing that used Ibanez during his tenure with Megadeth was in fact Marty Friedman, and it was called the Ibanez MFM1:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/MFM1

Your closest bet would be to find a used Ibanez SZ, as that's what the MFM was based on. However, they stopped producing the SZ model in 2008 in favor of the SZR model, which was discontinued in 2010.

I don't think the guitarist was Chris Poland either. Maybe it could have been Friedman . I definitely didn't have an MFM1.

Googling SZ...

I'm 95% sure that's what I had. I'll shop for an SZR, thanks to your help. If anyone wants to recommend any remotely similar models, I'll try them too.

Thank you very much for your help.
Sure thing, bud. The only difference between the SZR and the MFM is the MFM only had a volume knob and a three-way toggle with a blue finish

Good hunting!

And yeah, upon further research, Marty did endorse the SZ series from Ibanez very heavily before adopting it for his signature model.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah that was Marty, it was based on the SZ.

The other Ibanez in Megadeth was Chris with his LACs RGA.

I think he mostly played Ibanez 7321 and 1527!? Any pics of the LACS?

MFM2 came in red with just on humbucker.

Last edited by Sledgeman at Apr 30, 2013,