Hey guys! Im an upcoming artist and have a fair amount of gig experience. Right now I'm plugging into a combo with about 75 watts behind it. Im looking to get a bigger louder and richer tube tone for live shows. I like the tone i have in my super champ, is there a way i can generate that sound or something better with a lot of watts, whether it be a combo or cabinet combo? Im looking for a setup that doesn't require lining out to a PA or putting a mic to it. I usually go for a bassy clean sound with a good amount of reverb behind it.

Thanks!
Last edited by corncake22 at Apr 29, 2013,
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
So you've been playing a while and have a super champ that is 75 watts? I did not know those existed
Or you have a super champ and gig with a 75 watt combo?

What is the 75 watt amp?

Give us:
Budget
New/Used (which do you prefer or does it matter?)
your present gear

^^ninja'd
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Im willing to go up to 1,500 complete max
I play a lot of emo music like Algernon Cadwallader riffs with a more bassy clean sound
I'd like to go used because i know i can get a better discount
I like gigging at halls or basements, but I've also played at smaller venues that can fit 100-150 i want something good to record with too.
Im in the east coast by NYC
Guitar wise i use a standard mexican tele with noiseless pickups
I plug into a peavey not sure about the exact model and year because its my dads old amp its electric tho with no tubes
I'd say a used mesa duo rectifier is right up your alley.

You should be able to get a used duo rec and 212 cab for right around that budget.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Robbgnarly
So you've been playing a while and have a super champ that is 75 watts? I did not know those existed
Or you have a super champ and gig with a 75 watt combo?

What is the 75 watt amp?

Give us:
Budget
New/Used (which do you prefer or does it matter?)
your present gear

^^ninja'd

Im willing to go up to 1,500 complete max
I play a lot of emo music like Algernon Cadwallader riffs with a more bassy clean sound
I'd like to go used because i know i can get a better discount
I like gigging at halls or basements, but I've also played at smaller venues that can fit 100-150 i want something good to record with too.
Im in the east coast by NYC
Guitar wise i use a standard mexican tele with noiseless pickups
I plug into a peavey not sure about the exact model and year because its my dads old amp its electric tho with no tubes
well....if you gig a lot then you probably mic a lot...cause there is no way to get a mix for the band if your not running through the PA, unless your doing back yard birthday party gigs. ok thats harsh, but really, most good gigs are miced for the simple reason of getting a good mix in the band.

dont get an amp to not mic, wrong priorities entirely. bigger and louder does not also mean more watts. many 20-30 watters can sound just as full and thick as 100 watters. design, quality, total setup. all things matter. CAB CAB and CAB.

what amp do you play now? the 75 watt version?

oh yeah, honestly, if you want to sound big and full, you need to be running through the PA. in fact, if you dont want to sound full dont mic. unless you crank a stack, which is cool, except your and mates with quit
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
In terms of volume, forget about the wattage. Anything over 15w can fill a 150-person room. The important thing is that you have the speakers to push enough air. Some speakers will seem louder than others, even when the same amp and volume is used. For gigs, of any size, I wouldn't use less than a 2x12". Use V30s for the most standard, balanced tone with some extra volume.

Wattage is more about headroom. If you use very high-output pickups and you are cranking your amp to a very high volume, you will need more power to get a totally clean sound. Th less power you have and the more you are canking it the more clipping (distortion) and compression you will get, even though the volume may not change much.

It sounds to me like you would like a lot of the 2x12" combos that Fender make. Most of their amps give a similar sort of tone so see what's in stock near to you to try out. Put the bass at full, mids between 40-80%, treble and presence no more than 50% and keep the gain around 25-33%. adjust volume to taste and don't forget to put your pickups a little closer to your strings and consider using slightly thicker strings to make the most of that bass thump.

If you're worried about volume at all, on Sunday I saw a guy play the O2 arena—20,000 people—with a Fender 2x12" combo. Any venue where a 2x12" isn't loud enough will be able to mic you up. Even most 200-capacity gigs will have a PA system.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Fender Twin. Try to find an old blackface one but any will do what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Look up the Carvin X100B. It has great cleans and a good OD channel its always well within your budget and you can buy a nice cab to along with it or any pedals you may like for fx. Also consider the Vox AC30 w/ alnico blues.
well dude, if you have a stadium sized PA you can play a rock concert with a 1 watt. thats easy. last time i saw jack white he played with 3 tiny lunch box sized 1x12s all running stereo, all miced. for 35,000 people.

the amp matters. some amps are just mofo-in loud. the harmonics and frequency they produce just cuts through...to the point where it defies logic. im not going to get into a wattage debate or a solid state vs tube debate.....but there is no solid state louder than a Dr. Z amp over about 20 watts. those amp are just fu**in loud.

speakers and cab matters a ton and yeah a good midrangey speaker with a high sensitivity will create a louder setup.

i would put a 100 bucks on a 18 watt Dr. Z paired with a good 2x12 leaded with eminence wizards will be louder and cutt through better than most setups 2x its size. 60 watts, and a 4x12 of low quality equipment easy.

and for the record, i know professional gigging musicians that play with a 15 watt 1x12. find your tone and mic it. its that simple. he does play jazzy blues rock however.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Cathbard
Fender Twin. Try to find an old blackface one but any will do what you want.

this x100000 fender twins are the most perfect emo amps imo. However, I think the guy in algernon plays an AC 30 and I know he usually uses G&Ls. The AC30 would also be a good choice, and both would be plenty loud enough without a PA.

in fact

he does for sure play an AC30
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Apr 29, 2013,
Algernon Cadwallader was a great band RIP

I'm pretty sure that the guitarist used Fender Twin/Super Reverbs and Vox AC30s during their existence. With that amount of money you could get a used AC30 and Twin Reverb. Best of both worlds then.

Most Midwest Emo band's amp choices vary, what other band's tones are you trying to get?

Edit: If you look closely in the beginning he's using a Twin Reverb
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=nNEzhUlRrv8
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 29, 2013,
In the picture I posted I think there's that twin reverb on an orange cab behind the bass player, they used to have 2 guitar players I guess they traded the other guy in for a second amp.

So OP, it's up to you weather you like the british or american voiced amp, like I stated before, they'd both really do the job quite well.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
+1 on the AC-30, they sound great, are plenty loud and it sounds like it'd be perfect for you.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.