I've been looking at 2 amps in particular. The first one is a mg100hdfx Marshall Cab with a small cabinet. The other is a Marshall DSL40C. I know the second is a tube amp but is also alot more money. The first set up will cost about 350-400 and the 2nd is about $650. What one would you choose and why? I play Punk Rock and we play gigs as well, so take that into consideration as well.

Thanks!
Look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401. This is the original version of the new DSL 40c and is better in every way. You can find them for ~$500ish at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

EDIT there is one for $419 right now on the site
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 29, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401. This is the original version of the new DSL 40c and is better in every way. You can find them for ~$500ish at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

EDIT there is one for $419 right now on the site

I agree with this. Marshall JCM 2000's are fantastic for punk and if you want the marshall sound (I'm assuming you do because those are the 2 amps your listing) it'll do you well to steer clear of the MG series.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
JCM2000 is the way to go. MG series just doesn't cut it imho
I'd rather have a dirty shirt and a guitar than a clean shirt and no music.

Turn my amp up to 11 six nickel-wound strings have saved me again.

music + food + beer= the good life
When the decision is between a "Marshall" MG and any other amp, 99.9% of the time the answer is to go with the other amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
When the decision is between a "Marshall" MG and any other amp, 99.9% of the time the answer is to go with the other amp.

Even when compared to a Line 6 Spider?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Even when compared to a Line 6 Spider?

Spider over MG I reckon
Dog shit over cat shit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Dog shit over cat shit?

Acoustic?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The old DSL401 is a completely different beast than the old DSL heads or the new DSL heads or combos. They are not interchangeable. The new DSL40C is basically a combo version of the new DSL head, whereas the DSL401 is a much more vintage-voiced amp with an EL84 power amp (as opposed to the big EL34 heads).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
for gigs, there is no option of those two besides the DSL.

MOST people find teh DSLs acceptable to good. never treid the combo, but played a dsl50 head through a marshal cab and those things are beasts. easily will get you punk tone and more.

dont gig with the MG. please no. your wallet will hate you now, but you will thank us later if you buy the DSL.

or....an alternative? 650 can get you similar rigs especially if looking used.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
MG isn't going to be the best sounding amp in the world, fairly thin and shrill sounding and it gets worse at high volumes, cleans are decent from what I remember but nothing to shout about. DSL is likely to be a great sounding amp, will sound really good up at high volumes.

In 90% of cases the difference between a valve amp and a solid state is absolutely huge, especially when you can turn up the volume, the difference in price might seem large but it really isn't, it's worth the money and you will be sorry if you got the MG.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by ikey_
for gigs, there is no option of those two besides the DSL.

MOST people find teh DSLs acceptable to good. never treid the combo, but played a dsl50 head through a marshal cab and those things are beasts. easily will get you punk tone and more.

dont gig with the MG. please no. your wallet will hate you now, but you will thank us later if you buy the DSL.

or....an alternative? 650 can get you similar rigs especially if looking used.

What would you suggest in that price range?

Thanks for all of the help you guys! I appreciate it.
I actually played a dsl40 yesterday I loved the voicing on it but it just ran out of gain before i was satisfied. but for punk it would be awsome