you may have seen me post another thread regarding a strat. it was given to me by a friend who i will likely never be able to visit or in all reality and see him again. he gave me this strat, asking me to keep it together so that it can be played. any mods would have to easily be undone with my thoughts on this guitar.

1995 MIM olympic white maple fretboard.

the saddles were really bad and recently broke a few strings so i threw graphtech saddles in there, worlds better.

now my tuning is slipping a bit fast, i am thinking tuners. some of them turn really easy some really firm, very unpredictable. and i am not using a trem at all the claw is tightened so there is no movement.

so i really want to find some tuners that would be a direct fit. i don't want to go too cheap, or too much. i do not want locking tuners. i like the gotoh's (in prestige ibbys) or grovers (which used to come standard in pretty much washburn, and i have had a few of them, and on one of my SG's.

so..... strat, new tuners, no drilling, no locking, mid ranged price. ideally around $60, not much more. if there is something that is really good but cheaper, i will give it a look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I actually bought a set of locking tuners for my old MIM strat before I bought my American Standard. Granted it was a 2003, not a 1995, so there might be different spacing, but in case it's the same, if you can wait until I head home this weekend, I'll get you their serial number so you can pull them up. They did a great job, and I think I only paid about $55 once shipping was added in.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
I actually bought a set of locking tuners for my old MIM strat before I bought my American Standard. Granted it was a 2003, not a 1995, so there might be different spacing, but in case it's the same, if you can wait until I head home this weekend, I'll get you their serial number so you can pull them up. They did a great job, and I think I only paid about $55 once shipping was added in.

do you have any recommendations that are not locking? i know i am weird i don't like locking tuners at all. $55 isn't bad though. where did you get them through?

MIM's haven't changed much. i have owned a dozen or so throughout the years, with one hwy1 and a couple MIA's, i just sold them because it was profit. but i honestly have to say that the older MIA's are better than some of the newer ones (newest MIM i owned was a 2010 and was quite disappointing). i haen't ever been a 'strat guy' so this has sat for a year or so and i am playing it and likeing it more. if i hadn't been in the situation with my friend, i don't think i would have picked up another one. but i got it may as well make it useful.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by stonyman65

thanks for the links. do you have a preference over which brand? off of curiosity.

also i found these lying around i forgot about... TNT Custom Guitars (Dragon Fire) i have no idea, i just bought them for an old project probably paid $20 from ebay. no specs thouogh. or model number. are they decent? although i will not drill. (other guitars i have had but not this one).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
shit. i don't think the ones i have are compatible the fenders on there now look like they have two points anchoring it down, the ones i have appear to have none and a screw.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I recently bought myself some Wilkinson Tuners off line for one of my guitars, they seem to have done pretty well thus far, only cost around £30 as well
Sperzel need to be drilled, I have a set in my strat (albiet the locking ones). I dont understand why you don't like locking tuners, they work exactly the same as other tuners but don't slip.

You could try basic vintage style klusons for the strat (with the string going down the hole), they won't need drilling but you still need to put in screw holes. I have basic MIM Fender sealed tuners on my MIM Strat and to be honest I think they are great, can't see of any reason to replace them with non locking ones, I would have thought your guitar would have the same tuners.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks for the links. do you have a preference over which brand? off of curiosity.

also i found these lying around i forgot about... TNT Custom Guitars (Dragon Fire) i have no idea, i just bought them for an old project probably paid $20 from ebay. no specs thouogh. or model number. are they decent? although i will not drill. (other guitars i have had but not this one).

I like em both. For non-locking tuners I would probably go with Gotoh, but Sperzel are fine too. I have locking Sperzel tuners on my start now and they are awesome.

Either way, I think you are probably going to have to ream the holes to get new tuners to fit unless you go with Schallers, but those are a little too expensive for your budget.

Honestly, if I were you I would just bite the bullet and go with those Fender locking (Schaller) tuners that will drop right it. It will save you lots of trouble.
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-0818-100-Locking-Tuners-Chrome/dp/B000L6GD04
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I like em both. For non-locking tuners I would probably go with Gotoh, but Sperzel are fine too. I have locking Sperzel tuners on my start now and they are awesome.

Either way, I think you are probably going to have to ream the holes to get new tuners to fit unless you go with Schallers, but those are a little too expensive for your budget.

Honestly, if I were you I would just bite the bullet and go with those Fender locking (Schaller) tuners that will drop right it. It will save you lots of trouble.
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-0818-100-Locking-Tuners-Chrome/dp/B000L6GD04

that is probably the best thing i could do. price isn't bad either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is probably the best thing i could do. price isn't bad either.

That's a great price. I paid like $80 for the Fender brand locking tuners they sell at GC, and they are definitely not on par with Schaller or Sperzel tuners.

Edit: NVM. The ones in that link are the same ones I have. They aren't Schallers and they are made n Taiwan. Still a better price than what I paid, but definitely not as good as Gotoh.
Last edited by W4RP1G at May 1, 2013,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I don't know about your guitar, but my 2003 MIM strat was a direct swap for the locking tuners I put on it. And I believe that those tuners were made to fit a MIA strat. So unless your MIM strat uses a different tuner than mine, I would imagine that those tuners will fit.

But you might wanna see if your local GC can order those tuners for you(at that price) so you can take them back if they don't work for some reason.
Quote by W4RP1G
I don't know about your guitar, but my 2003 MIM strat was a direct swap for the locking tuners I put on it. And I believe that those tuners were made to fit a MIA strat. So unless your MIM strat uses a different tuner than mine, I would imagine that those tuners will fit.

But you might wanna see if your local GC can order those tuners for you(at that price) so you can take them back if they don't work for some reason.

i will try to price match at MF/M123,etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do you have any recommendations that are not locking? i know i am weird i don't like locking tuners at all. $55 isn't bad though. where did you get them through?

Unfortunately, those are my only experience with aftermarket tuners, as amongst other electric guitars worth repairing that I've owned, one had Grovers, and the other two had locking Sperzels already. I bought them off of Amazon, so that may have to do with the break on the price. I'll do some digging once I get time off later this week, see if I find anything that looks good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0