Hey guys,

I'm recording a song at the moment which features a kind of staccato power chord riff. It's not palm muted, but the chords stop ringing out pretty quickly. Think No One Knows by Queens Of The Stone Age. I've been playing it in my band a lot and it's sounding fine, but when I record it, I have harmonics ringing out like crazy during the mutes. So what I'm asking is, how do I stop these harmonics ringing out? They seem to start as soon as I lift my fingers up slightly. It doesn't help that the riff is centred around the 7th fret on the A string, so I'm getting a lot of the E harmonic ringing through. When I add the distortion necessary to the song it's just unlistenable, and I want to know if I can cure this by changing my technique rather than cleaning it all out at the mixing stage.

Cheers
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
The real key is to mute at two different points on the string. Personally I think the best way of doing so for this song is to mute with the picking hand as well as the fretting hand.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ElliottJeffries
See if upping the noise gate helps too.

Not a solution. Noise gates kill hum from pickups and amp, not string noise; that's really not what they're for. If you've got your noise gate set to such a level that it's killing string noise then you're killing sustain and probably tone in general.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a go! It's a fast riff strumming wise; would tuning flat and playing everything a fret up (so centred around the 8th fret), reduce the harmonics?
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by TJ1991
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a go! It's a fast riff strumming wise; would tuning flat and playing everything a fret up (so centred around the 8th fret), reduce the harmonics?

It might but I wouldn't say it's really a solution either; it would just be a band-aid covering up the issue. If you need to perform the song live like, tomorrow, then that's fine but if you actually want to solve the problem then muting with both hands is the way to go.

Also: it's nowhere near fast. At all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 1, 2013,
Quote by Freepower
^ it's not that QOTSA song, it's just similar to it

Dammit man, I don't have time to be reading whole posts!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.