Page 1 of 2
intellectual copyright/patent laws in general, not just entertainment and art but also drug patents and all that jazz. please bless me with your information and opinions, i'm quite interested in the subject and indeed less informed than i'd like to be.

being relatively young i was downloading music before i ever bought albums, since i was like 8 or 9. i didn't know it was illegal back then, and even after i realized it was i never considered the possibility of it being morally reprehensible until much later. i still don't believe that. i grew up with the mindset that music was something that people made from passion for their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others, and i honestly dont believe an artist deserves anything other than criticism for his work.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Impeding shitstorm
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Burgery
being relatively young i was downloading music before i ever bought albums, since i was like 8 or 9. i didn't know it was illegal back then, and even after i realized it was i never considered the possibility of it being morally reprehensible until much later. i still don't believe that. i grew up with the mindset that music was something that people made from passion for their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others, and i honestly dont believe an artist deserves anything other than criticism for his work.
In a perfect society, I would agree with you...
all artists should be paid by the state and CDs should be free. The money can come from taxing everyone that makes over 100 000$ by 90%

pot should be legal and abortions mandatory for everyone
imo why should I have to pay for something I like FUCK that everything I like should be 100% free, in fact I should be payed for enjoying things
not good enough. I don't want to have to wait in line. Send me my cash money (no cheques!!!) straight to my studio appartment or to the nearest guitar center
Quote by flexiblemile
all artists should be paid by the state and CDs should be free. The money can come from taxing everyone that makes over 100 000$ by 90%

But what if a musician managed to make more than 100 000$? They would get taxed and payed by the state...

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by flexiblemile

Would this be the place to complain about the patenting of life by Monsanto and other corporations? Monsanto because they use it to screw small farmers out of a living. Other corporations mainly for their fight against a Lyme disease treatment.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Burgery

Your opinion is pretty shitty, you're right.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Piracy today is like smoking pot in the seventies:

Everybody's doing it, maaaaan.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
3edgy5u

discuss intellectual copyright tho, dont leave a brotha hanging
Quote by Ometh
Impeding shitstorm

where is my goddamn shitstorm
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Apr 30, 2013,
Quote by Burgery

Man it's just as bad the second time reading it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Burgery
where is my goddamn shitstorm

I was hoping for it, I'm disappoint too
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by bradulator
Man it's just as bad the second time reading it.

bro my grandparents decided to visit me when i was halfway done writing that, gimme a break

give me your shitty counterpoints at least
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Burgery
bro my grandparents decided to visit me when i was halfway done writing that, gimme a break

give me your shitty counterpoints at least

No one would bother record anything.
bullshit
Quote by korinaflyingv
^ as previously stated my shitty opinion only applies to music, i'm pretty torn in regards to programs and games
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
In a perfect society, I would agree with you...

you don't agree with me because society is imperfect? please expand on this, don't be like that
Quote by korinaflyingv
I can not be bothered writing an argument so I will just say

I have no problem pirating old music, (e.g pirating Led Zep discography, maybe a bands older albums) but I do not like to pirate new music, because how are they going to create more/better music if they don't have the money for it? If I pay, it rewards the artist for their efforts and the money they spent creating it, and also encourages them to create more, better music.

Maybe not summed up well but yolo rite guys
Wow, you lived up to your claim, TS. It is as every bit shitty as you hyped it up to be. It is The Dark Knight of shittiness.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Burgery
^ as previously stated my shitty opinion only applies to music, i'm pretty torn in regards to programs and games

Yeah I was more just posting as it was something interesting I saw today, rather than an argument relating to this thread.

But if you'd like me to comment: I think the exact same principles apply to music as films and games, I don't really see much difference there.

People provide something you value and wish to be paid for it; if you don't want to pay then they don't have to give you the product. If artists want to give their stuff away for free they can do so, but if they haven't chosen to do so then you can't just take it anyway. Even artists who don't want to make massive amounts of money still need to live; if you value what they're providing then support them so they can provide it.
Quote by Burgery

I feel the same way, however it's NOT pirating its "liberating"

The other is you think that they are only musicians because they have a passion for music, that is not the case at all!!! We have people like niki minaj and Justin bieber who are ONLY in it for the munniez and will go to great extents to get like miserably failing at hiding how crappy they're voices are by using copious amounts of auto-tune, and they suck, big time!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZuktUfF0nE

This is how every single one of you - except Xiaoxi, Horsedick, and Crazysam, you guys are cool - makes me feel.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by DESTROYER5000

The other is you think that they are only musicians because they have a passion for music, that is not the case at all!!! We have people like niki minaj and Justin bieber who are ONLY in it for the munniez and will go to great extents to get like miserably failing at hiding how crappy they're voices are by using copious amounts of auto-tune, and they suck, big time!!!

wow

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Burgery
i grew up with the mindset that music was something that people made from passion for their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others, and i honestly dont believe an artist deserves anything other than criticism for his work.

If they honestly make music just for their enjoyment, then they can release it for free. Nobody forces them to charge people for it. However, most people want to make a living off of it, or at least break even after production costs. And if they are selling it as a product, and you decide to download it illegally, you are stealing from them.

Also, it is kind of selfish to assume that an artist goes through all of that time, effort, and cost just for your own amusement.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
If people are charging for their music, you can assume they're not making it purely for their own enjoyment.

Making up reasons why people make music to justify stealing it is pretty low dude
Quote by AeroRocker
If they honestly make music just for their enjoyment, then they can release it for free. Nobody forces them to charge people for it.
+/- 0

However, most people want to make a living off of it, or at least break even after production costs.
+1
And if they are selling it as a product, and you decide to download it illegally, you are stealing from them.
You're not stealing from them, you are denying them a sale.

Also, it is kind of selfish to assume that an artist goes through all of that time, effort, and cost just for your own amusement.

Bands who record under record labels for profit are making music for the consumer.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
You're not stealing from them, you are denying them a sale.

Do we have to have this whole semantics bullshit every time there's a piracy discussion?

Quote by necrosis1193
Do we have to have this whole semantics bullshit every time there's a piracy discussion?

Yes, because it's not stealing unless your purchasing their album was a foregone conclusion before they released it.
Yes, because it's not stealing unless your purchasing their album was a foregone conclusion before they released it.

How.

It is a product with the intent to be sold for profit, and you took it without paying for it.
That's theft.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I grew up with the mindset that free things are to be taken advantage of and enjoyed and not gotten buttfrustrated about.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.

So it's only stealing if it's an inherent fact that I am going to acquire it legally or otherwise at the inception of the product?

That is more butts than Jack White.

Quote by necrosis1193

Because denying a sale is morally better than theft.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 2