Page 1 of 2
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=9083840&rss=rss-ktrk-article-9083840
The Armed Citizen Project will be arming people in northwest Houston, in neighborhoods near the Northwest Freeway and Loop 610. The idea is to arm those in medium and high crime areas who don't currently have a weapon at home. Publicizing this, they hope, will be a deterrent to criminals who would otherwise target them.

"They're pretty inexpensive, easy to learn how to use and they make good home defense weapons," explained Kyle Coplen, founder of the Armed Citizen Project.

The Armed Citizen Project is planning to use private donations to give away the shotguns to 50 to 100 people after they pass background check and complete training.

"It's our hypothesis that criminals do not want to die in your hallway," Coplen said. "We think that society should use that fear to deter crime."
The Armed Citizen Project has previously provided weapons to single mothers and senior citizens but never before have attempted to arm a significant portion of a single neighborhood. Once complete they plan to put up signs alerting would be criminals to the armed population in the hope of deterring crime here. Some homeowners support the idea.

Resident Bill Scott said, "If people know in a community that some have weapons, how would they guess whose home to go to rob."

Others, however, worry about the addition of weapons in the neighborhood.

"No, that will increase more guns for the streets," said opponent Jose Moreno.

Again the weapons are only being given to those who pass a background check and participate in safety, legal and tactical training.
Well I mean, hey, they're all getting background checks and training, and it'll be used as a deterrent for crime. I think the fact that signs will be posted about homes being armed will make it even more effective.
See, Texas has the right idea.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Cool move. I want my free shotgun!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
On one hand that's terrible and stereotypical and blah blah. On the other hand a free shotgun sounds neat :/
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
if it bugs you then avoid the area
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by captainsnazz
Real shit right here: If I was a criminal and I heard they were giving out free guns somewhere, I would go there and get some free guns.

Right, theyre going to purchase a home and go through a background check and training?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Real shit right here: If I was a criminal and I heard they were giving out free guns somewhere, I would go get a free gun and rob other people of their free guns.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by captainsnazz
Real shit right here: If I was a criminal and I heard they were giving out free guns somewhere, I would go there and get some free guns.
Well you'd have to be a resident of the neighborhood in question first, and you'd have to pass a background check as well.

It's not like you walk into a building and say "I'm here for my free gun". Offers are mailed to specific houses in high-crime neighborhoods, after which residents must follow up.
Quote by jetfuel495
Real shit right here: If I was a criminal, and I heard the neighborhood I used to rob was suddenly being armed with free shotguns, I'd pick a new neighborhood to rob.

I'd get in line for my free shotgun and then use it to rob the people.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
I'd get in line for my free shotgun and then use it to rob the people.
Quote by jetfuel495
Well you'd have to be a resident of the neighborhood in question first, and you'd have to pass a background check as well.

It's not like you walk into a building and say "I'm here for my free gun". Offers are mailed to specific houses in high-crime neighborhoods, after which residents must follow up.
It would be a great plan if it wasn't for the fact that that was probably already accounted for and planned for.
Real shit right here: Why is it okay to give people background checks when the gun is free but not when they're buying it themselves?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by jetfuel495
And yes I did steal this from your facebook.

Knew it. My post was only bait for you to admit it. The plan worked perfectly.
Quote by jetfuel495
It would be a great plan if it wasn't for the fact that that was probably already accounted for and planned for.

I could easily get the free shotgun then sell it to a criminal, increasing the number of illegal guns on the street
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by llanafreak44
Knew it. My post was only bait for you to admit it. The plan worked perfectly.
My response to your post was only bait for you to admit your ulterior motives. The plan worked perfectly.
Quote by necrosis1193
Real shit right here: Why is it okay to give people background checks when the gun is free but not when they're buying it themselves?
Apparently anyone with enough money to purchase a gun legally must be a good law-abiding citizen

From what I recall though, Texas does require background checks for gun permits/licenses.
Quote by jetfuel495

From what I recall though, Texas does require background checks for gun permits/licenses.

What about private sales? Some states don't even require having a valid ID.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
I could easily get the free shotgun then sell it to a criminal, increasing the number of illegal guns on the street
That is an inherent flaw of the plan, I'm assuming it's something they're willing to live with. Although I doubt a significant number of people living in areas with high crime rates would be willing to sell their only line of defense for a quick buck when the ramifications down the road for not having one in the unfortunate occasion where you'd need one would be much more severe than the profits missed for not selling the gun.
Quote by TunerAddict

Man, a criminal could buy a gun from anyone if that is what you are worried about

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by jetfuel495
My response to your post was only bait for you to admit your ulterior motives. The plan worked perfectly.

I can't beat the education you've received at your university compared to mine; well played, well played.
Quote by jetfuel495
That is an inherent flaw of the plan, I'm assuming it's something they're willing to live with. Although I doubt a significant number of people living in areas with high crime rates would be willing to sell their only line of defense for a quick buck when the ramifications down the road for not having one in the unfortunate occasion where you'd need one would be much more severe than the profits missed for not selling the gun.

High crime areas tend to be poor areas, which would provide great incentive for someone to sell said firearm. Money to feed oneself is more important than having a firearm to protect against a crime that may or may not happen, plus if you're poor you have few things of value to be stolen.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
I'm not sure about private sales. I know that when you buy a gun from a store they do a background check on you in Texas. I don't think it's as thorough as the carrying permit's background check, but it's there.
If I was a criminal and saw these signs it would simply tell me to enter the home and shoot everyone right away to avoid being shot first. Seriously ****ing stupid shit right there. If someone comes in with a loaded cocked weapon and you have to grab your shotgun and **** it... you are going to die

Holy **** America is stupid, just
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by SFosterS
idiotic

no surprise you're from toronto

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by jetfuel495
My response to your post was only bait for you to admit your ulterior motives. The plan worked perfectly.Apparently anyone with enough money to purchase a gun legally must be a good law-abiding citizen

Yeah, most states do require a background check to purchase a gun. Unless it's a private transaction, in which case it's kind of hard to enforce background checks anyway.
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
Quote by SFosterS
If I was a criminal and saw these signs it would simply tell me to enter the home and shoot everyone right away to avoid being shot first. Seriously ****ing stupid shit right there. If someone comes in with a loaded cocked weapon and you have to grab your shotgun and **** it... you are going to die

I'm assuming most criminals aren't going around looking for firefights.
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
The underlying causes of crime in high crime areas should be dealt with. Throwing more shotguns into the fray isn't the solution.

Exhibit A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksryN-eSb8U
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by TunerAddict
High crime areas tend to be poor areas, which would provide great incentive for someone to sell said firearm. Money to feed oneself is more important than having a firearm to protect against a crime that may or may not happen, plus if you're poor you have few things of value to be stolen.
If they had few things of value to be stolen, they wouldn't be robbed so often, would they? I think responsible citizens would realize that the threat of harm is much more important than any short-term profits that could be made from illegally selling a gun, and I'd hope that this program would seek to weed out any irresponsible citizens. Of the 400 offers they're sending out, they only plan on arming 100 people.

I'd hope that they'd do forensics testing on all the donated guns before giving them out, and that all participants would be informed of that. That would offer some deterrence from illegal resale, I think.
Quote by SFosterS

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all these free shotguns going off.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by JimmyBanks6
no surprise you're from toronto

GFYS... Ottawa is the worst place in Canada outside of Winnipeg
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by SFosterS

Most robbers want to rob and get away, not add multiple murder charges because usually there is a lot more police effort put into finding people who do that.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by SFosterS

You obviously don't know the first thing about ballistics, forensics, or how to commit a successful crime. You want to kill everybody in the room over a few hundred bucks? Great, give the police every bit of evidence they need to catch you.

Come on, it's like you're not even trying. The second you fire a gun, you're giving police that much more of a chance to catch you. The second your bullet hits a person, you're giving police that much more of a reason to catch you.

I can't fault you for your ignorance though, crime rates in Canada are much better than in America.
Quote by SFosterS
GFYS... Ottawa is the worst place in Canada outside of Winnipeg

Considering Ottawa almost always wins the nicest city in Canada as according to MacLeans and moneysense (this year being Calgary however) & Toronto always placing lower

and everyone outside of toronto detests the city and regard it as NYC wannabes

whatever you think.

Not to mention i dont even live in Ottawa anymore, so your post = fail.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Apr 30, 2013,
They should test this hypothesis but with MacBooks and iPads instead.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2