Well it WAS gonna be HNGD, but since the folks at GC can't pack properly, the guitar arrived with this huge chip in it. I already know it happened during shipping as I got pics of the front and back of the guitar before I ordered it and there were also paint chips at the bottom of the box...they used a bass box, wrapped the guitar with one single layer of bubble wrap. The guitar was at the bottom of the box with a ton of bubble wrap stuffed at the top.

This was an online order of a used guitar, it's an Ibanez RG, nothing super fancy or anything. I spoke with the manager about the damage and he says I can either return it or he'll take $20 off the price I paid.

I'd send it back but the front has a graphic on it that's kind of hard to find...any thoughts? I'm considering fixing this, it doesn't have to match or be perfect or anything, I just don't want the hole to get bigger. I have some wood filler and was thinking of just using that...
Attachments:
chip.jpg
First, make a complaint to GC. You may be able to get them to pay for a repair.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
First, make a complaint to GC. You may be able to get them to pay for a repair.

They are saying their repair guy doesn't do cosmetic stuff...I could try calling around to other GC's and see what they say. They offered me either a whopping $20 price reduction or just return it...

I'm hesitant to return it because I see a couple of the same model on ebay but they are $100 more...
Last edited by Huge Guy at Apr 30, 2013,
I don't know how much you love the graphic in question, but if it were me hearing what GC said, I'd return it and get one of the other ones.

I did that with a Tacoma acoustic I bought from them. It was used, and there was a small- but potentially serious flaw in its top, so I returned it...and bought a different Tacoma from them a month or so later.

In your case, they're responsible. That their regular guy doesn't do that kind of repair is immaterial. They screwed up. and I bet that's more than a $20 repair.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 30, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't know how much you love the graphic in question, but if it were me hearing what GC said, I'd return it and get one of the other ones.

I did that with a Tacoma acoustic I bought from them. It was used, and there was a small- but potentially serious flaw in its top, so I returned it...and bought a different Tacoma from them a month or so later.

In your case, they're responsible. That their regular guy doesn't do that kind of repair is immaterial. They screwed up. and I bet that's more than a $20 repair.

Well I did buy it for the graphic as this is my second RG, I guess I could always send it back and wait till another one comes up...

Anyway I've been watching Youtube vids on repair...looks like a lot of people use nail polish for this type of damage...have any of you tried it?

Regardless of what I do I am not gonna buy used from GC online again!
Last edited by Huge Guy at Apr 30, 2013,
I understand the sentiment, but I have done it, and it was OK. Any business can screw up, but most successful businesses don't do soon a regular basis.

If they screw up again, however...

I've done nail polish on a headstock ding and it worked out fine, but it was just a ding and was easy enough to level. That's definitely worth more than $20, and I would definitely be sending it back. It's all fine and good if you do the damage yourself and repair it, but dealing with the negligence of a careless employee, well, that's not something I would probably do.
OffsetOffset
I hate to say this because it makes me sound like an ass. But if you yell loud enough people will listen. Call their toll free number and if the guy says he can't anything ask to speak to someone else. If you go high enough they'll get it fixed just for the purpose of keeping you from telling people about it
Nothing wrong with standing up for your rights as a consumer.

$20? What a joke. If it were a nitro guitar I might take that haha.

My pal got offered £100 of the price of a Fender Strat FSR with the tiniest dent.

Nail polish will look obvious. I'd return it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by rander7917
If you go high enough they'll get it fixed

How high you are has absolutely no impact on shitty GC customer service...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by rander7917
I hate to say this because it makes me sound like an ass. But if you yell loud enough people will listen. Call their toll free number and if the guy says he can't anything ask to speak to someone else. If you go high enough they'll get it fixed just for the purpose of keeping you from telling people about it

This is the worst advice ever given.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I would charge $100 to fix that, $20 is a slap in the face

Return it and get your money back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would charge $100 to fix that, $20 is a slap in the face

Return it and get your money back

Well I only paid less than $200 for the guitar...if it were, say, a Prestige I'd already have returned it!

I'll tell the guy I've been quoted $100 for repair and see what he says.
Last edited by Huge Guy at May 1, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
$20? What a joke. If it were a nitro guitar I might take that haha.

My pal got offered £100 of the price of a Fender Strat FSR with the tiniest dent.

Nail polish will look obvious. I'd return it.

How do I know what kind of finish the guitar has? I have been googling but come up empty. This guitar is a 2008 RG370DX
Quote by Eppicurt
This is the worst advice ever given.

Other than looking like a total Dick how is it bad advice.

Not the same thing but I bought a watch once that cost 40 bucks

The day after I bought it the part of the body that connects to the band cracked.

I went back and the person who sold said the only thing she could do was repair it at my expense

I called the corporate office for Dakota watch company. Yelled a little bit and like magic. I was offered a replacement.

I looked like an ass but I got my watch replaced
I just heard back from the guy and he says they can't give me more $$ off and that my best bet is to return it...
Ok, they are now gonna offer me $50 off the original price, so I'm getting an RG 370 for about $150. I still have 30 days to change my mind...
Quote by rander7917

I did call the 800 # (and talked nice, not yelled) but they really couldn't do anything, they had to call the store the guitar came from.
Quote by rander7917
Other than looking like a total Dick how is it bad advice.

Not the same thing but I bought a watch once that cost 40 bucks

The day after I bought it the part of the body that connects to the band cracked.

I went back and the person who sold said the only thing she could do was repair it at my expense

I called the corporate office for Dakota watch company. Yelled a little bit and like magic. I was offered a replacement.

I looked like an ass but I got my watch replaced

Because no ones wants to help the guy who screams until he gets what he wants.

If you're level headed, nice but firm you'll get somewhere faster. Although TS got offered a joke of compensation, screaming at the store isn't going to do jack shit. He's better off going over their heads and complaining to management or head office.

People in retail have to put up with this shit all the time. Leave them alone, wanker.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Because no ones wants to help the guy who screams until he gets what he wants.

If you're level headed, nice but firm you'll get somewhere faster. Although TS got offered a joke of compensation, screaming at the store isn't going to do jack shit. He's better off going over their heads and complaining to management or head office.

People in retail have to put up with this shit all the time. Leave them alone, wanker.

Agreed, I spent 7 years working in retail, Currys to be specific, and customers that come in shouting their heads off and getting angry invariably don't get what they want. It just comes off as rude, disrespectful and apish.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Agreed, I spent 7 years working in retail, Currys to be specific, and customers that come in shouting their heads off and getting angry invariably don't get what they want. It just comes off as rude, disrespectful and apish.

I spent the last 7 years working in retail/wholesale and one of my duties is to intercept customers who are pissed of because of damaged merchandise and to tell you the truth the majority of them are aggressive and rude about it, seeing as I do not actually sell any of the stuff in question just deal with the problems, and it is generally the loud mouth assholes that we will try and shut up the fastest because they tend to not stop calling and raising a stink about it and we just want them to shut the **** up and go away. People are getting too passive these days.

Edit: TS return that shit it will cost way to much to repair and even if you tried to do it yourself odds are you would never be happy with the outcome and then you are screwed it will have no resale value and you wont be able to return it.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
To clarify: while I supported his right to make a complaint and going up the chain of command, as it were, I firmly believe in exercising politeness while doing so.