I bought this ESP LTD MH-350FR used from Guitar Center last week. Yesterday I got it set up in Drop C tuning. This is my first neck through guitar and my first trem lock bridge. My question is, are there any dangers or disadvantages to tuning the bottom string to D so I can play in D standard? To be more precise, will it mess up the neck and/or the intonation if I switch between C and D on the low string?

There should be no problem.

I do it with my Jackson DK2 all the time (by all the time I mean like once every like 2 weeks).

You could probably even just use the fine tuner to tune up to D from C. It's really not a big deal with trem guitars since the springs attached to the trem take most of the tension from the neck. (compared to fixed or string through guitars).
I could be wrong though.
But I do know it should be no problem.

EDIT: Nice guitar by the way. Love the white outline.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 1, 2013,
Thank you! It was a real steal and it's my first good guitar after 9 and a half years of playing. I got a 6505+ and the two sound great together!
It's a floating bridge, correct?

If so, then the tension will shift from perfectly-balanced to a bias towards the strings if you don't block the trem first before dropping/raising the tuning.

You probably understand that floating bridges operate based on the principal of spring-tension vs. string-tension.

If you tune the low-C string to a D, then all of the other strings will go flat, and the trem will go off-balance. Depending on the quality of the trem and its metals, it is very possible for it to actually warp and become semi-useless.

This happened to my 1998 Ibanez RG 350DX. The guitar is totally useless until I get a new trem.

If you do end up blocking it before you re-tune it, make sure to set it up for D-standard first, then block-and-drop it from there. If you don't first, then blocking it would be totally worthless. Blocking prevents the trem from recessing into the guitar when tension is increased, but tuning up ignores the block and caused the trem to lift out of the guitar.

Sexy guitar, BTW. Take care of it!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
Last edited by sideslick at May 1, 2013,
You probably shouldn't go doing it without some sort of modification. Floating tremolos are meant to stay in one tuning. It's just such a tedious task to constantly switch their tunings anyway.

I have a guitar with a floating trem and what I did was buy and install a tremol-no, and have it set up for standard. Then I can put the tremol-no into dive-only mode and just use the fine tuner to tune down to Drop D no problem. Just means I can only dive and do no pull ups but that works for me.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
If you only change the turning on the bottom string, it should be ok.

But if you are talking about switch between the whole drop D and drop C turning constantly, maybe it's not a good idea.

Do some adjustments, and keep the guitar in drop C;
or get another guitar for drop C.
Or just get this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evh-d-tuna-drop-d-tuning-system/430690

Boom, problem solved.

EDIT: But you'd still have to block the trem. You could still "Dive Bomb", but you can't pull up the tremolo.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 2, 2013,
either i am missing something or i don't get it.

pretty every guitar i own i go from E to D (drop d) as i play over the day or night or whatever, i just tune by ear or with just with natural harmonics.

now on a floyd, you can drop one string two semitones (from D to C or whateve), just that you will likely need to retune the whole guitar, probably want your tuner.

things change a tiny bit, but not enough to worry about.

if you were going from D std to C std, i would say to get another guitar with a trem if you need multiple tunings on a floyd.

don't worry about two semitones on a single string. you will be fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Or just get this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evh-d-tuna-drop-d-tuning-system/430690

Boom, problem solved.

EDIT: But you'd still have to block the trem. You could still "Dive Bomb", but you can't pull up the tremolo.

i had one on a EVH guitar, i took it off. major pain in the ass. not worth it IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Or just get this:

Boom, problem solved.

Those don't work with fully floating trems.

Going from D to drop C will still need fine tuning on all strings, but it's something that can be done quickly.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs