I've finally gotten alternate picking down really well, but i still make some errors when I'm changing from string to string. My brain is confused bc i"m trying to alt pick strictly but economy picking seems to make more sense.

Should I just learn economy picking?

The things I'm having trouble with are pentatonic blues based licks, Hendrix/SRV style like for example, the intro pentatonic lick from Texas flood.

Basically, what I'm asking, is if I'm going down strings should i always downstroke and going up strings should i always upstroke? should g12 B10 E10 always go Up, Down, Down, in terms of picking? I've been doing up, down, up.

Thanks, I'll elaborate if need be, I have a hard time enunciating sometimes.
If you're making mistakes then switching to economy picking won't help anywhere near as much as more and better practice will. You're looking for reasons other than what the actual issue is.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Should you learn economy picking? Yes, but you should also work more on your alternate picking and become proficient with that as well. One is not better than the other. They both have their uses and people may be more comfortable with one or the other, but that doesn't mean that should only use what you're comfortable with. Work on your weaknesses. Go ahead and learn economy picking, but also practice your alternate.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
just practice and play brother, don't get frustrated just pop a top on a cold zesty and take all the time you need! WOOOOOSAH!!! If its's that frustrating then put the fiddle down and walk away for 15 minutes then come back. By no means do you take the fiddle and smash it, this is not a good practice!!!
Last edited by Rust_E_Stringz at May 1, 2013,
Quote by RyanMW2010
I've finally gotten alternate picking down really well, but i still make some errors when I'm changing from string to string. My brain is confused bc i"m trying to alt pick strictly but economy picking seems to make more sense.

Should I just learn economy picking?

The things I'm having trouble with are pentatonic blues based licks, Hendrix/SRV style like for example, the intro pentatonic lick from Texas flood.

Basically, what I'm asking, is if I'm going down strings should i always downstroke and going up strings should i always upstroke? should g12 B10 E10 always go Up, Down, Down, in terms of picking? I've been doing up, down, up.

Thanks, I'll elaborate if need be, I have a hard time enunciating sometimes.

There is no Vs but there is WHEN.What i mean is that you have to learn both eventually but its better to start alternating first and after you reach a certain level introduce economy to your practise.After a while they blend together and you dont really think about it.No technique is better than the other thats for sure.Its more important to have a relaxed right hand than to bother with pick directions after a while(although some people may disagree there is no alternate picking police to hunt you down ).
all the different picking styles(alternate, economy, legato etc) work best together not really just on their own, but thats just my .02. learn alternate picking, then economy, Legato picking is fun too easiest of them all IMO, you eventually will have more tricks to pull out of thee olde guitar hat of wonders!!!
isn't it more natural to do the string skipping in pentatonic blues licks w/ economy vs alternate? my brain always wants to do economy in these situations. So what you guys are basically saying is that i should just work through it and get alt down 100% ad then switch to economy? I'm sorry, I"m confused and a little frustrated w/ my fingers
I used to do strict alternate picking (for years), but recently gave economy a shot for a day or two to see what I thought. Now it's really messed up my alternate picking. I was running through some scales this morning very slowly (practicing to increase speed...minimal movement and relaxed) and subconsciously used economy picking in certain situations. Problem is I don't use it when trying to play fast so is really messing up the slow practice!
Quote by Mole351
I used to do strict alternate picking (for years), but recently gave economy a shot for a day or two to see what I thought. Now it's really messed up my alternate picking. I was running through some scales this morning very slowly (practicing to increase speed...minimal movement and relaxed) and subconsciously used economy picking in certain situations. Problem is I don't use it when trying to play fast so is really messing up the slow practice!

This is what I've been running into. I just intuitively, i guess, want to economy pick when necessary. I just want to know which direction to go in.
Quote by RyanMW2010
This is what I've been running into. I just intuitively, i guess, want to economy pick when necessary. I just want to know which direction to go in.

Frankly it doesn't really matter which you choose. The important part of the whole thing is that you're lacking in practice, not that alternate or economy is inherently better for what you're doing. The important thing to note, really, is that if you choose to change... things are going to get worse before they get better but if you don't practice either a little better than you are now nothing will ever get better.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Hey, thanks for insight. I'm not sure what you mean by practicing better. I want to practice better, though. Could you fill me in or point me in the right direction?

You PM'd me this but I'm going to reply here since that's kind of the point of a public forum; people reply and everyone benefits by the collected knowledge.

By "practice better" I basically mean slower and more carefully. You need to stay at a speed where you can control what you're doing until the process becomes so automatic you don't have to think about it. You can't possibly speed up and remain accurate if you still have to think about any of what you're doing physically.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.