Hey Fella's I'm a Bassist of about 7 years looking into buying an Electric guitar, don't worry I only wanna play rhythm.

I've had this band kind of similar to Death From Above 1979 in its instrumentation, But I'm just feeling like making it the stereotypical four piece thing with someone for Lead, Bass and Drums. Because two guys just don't have enough friends to fill a venue.

So the sound of the band, I've studied Jazz at Adelaide Conservatorium on bass and I have definitely heard it's influence, but I like to keep things simple, more of a punk sound leaning on a bit of grunge.

For bands think like, The Distillers, Sublime, At The Drive-in. I want a good full crunch sound that will go ace with the bass, and support the lead lines as much as possible.

Budget wise for the guitar I'm thinking up to 600 AUS really, I can get by on Amps for a few months but I'll be looking for a half decent head as well, I've got tonnes of cabs from my bass rigs (which I'll be using till I get a head, it's ok I have a couple nice fuzz pedals, it wont be that bad for a month)

I live in South Australia, access to Adelaide city and surrounding areas quite easily.

I'm thinking something simple like an Epiphone Dot would suit my needs quite nicely.

Pluses for me are having a Humbucker by the bridge, and a Rosewood Fretboard.

/that old chestnut
I dig DFA 1979 and ATDI, so I can see where you're going with this.
The dot isn't a bad choice at all, but I have a feeling you'd pretty much spend your time in that bridge. I'd consider an H/H guitar like the dot, but maybe swap out that neck for a P90 (humbucker sized is pretty widely available). You just might like something a little brighter than the HB in the neck.
You could do an HSS Strat of some sort too, that would probably serve you well.
OffsetOffset
I think you'd LOVE this!

Reverend Double Agent
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/double-agent-iii/

Or one of these:

Godin Richmond Belmont
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

Godin Richmond Empire
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 1, 2013,
That Double Agent is freaking awesome, but it may be a bit out of his budget. Australia's guitar pricings are ridiculous.
If you can get a Reverend at your price range, do it, I can speak from personal experience (NGD thread incoming) and say that they are of excellent quality.
OffsetOffset
And I may be the pusher...errr...fan who pursuaded him to get a Rev in the first place, because I got me one in January.

Yeah, the import cost may be steep, but you never know. As I recall, Revs are are made in Korea, so there may be a local dealer without astronomical markups... Besides, it seems to fit the bill, and it would be a shame if he didn't know to look for one and it happened to be within his budget.

And for all the praise of Revs, the Godins are similarly held in high regards by myself. I'm planning on getting a Belmont for playing slide (in the next year or so).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I had a good look over the Reverend website, they all look quite nice but I am really diggin' on those Godin's with the single coil by the neck.

also Godin's made in Canada, and that's awesome!

Thanks for all the quick and really good responses guy's. I guess I can tell the rest of the bass players to go off strike.