Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with the middle pickup on my strat humming and i have no idea how to fix it. Basically whats happening is that when my guitar is plugged in, and with the middle pickup selected, i get a loud hum when i touch one of the middle pickup pole pieces. If i touch the strings at the same time the hum gets better but it's not completely gone. I've tried the same thing with both the neck and bridge pickups and the hum doesn't happen, however when i try with the in between pickup positions, the middle pickup still hums. It does hum a little quieter than when just the middle pickup is selected though. Now i know that single coil pickups are suppose to hum a little, but to me it seems like a grounding issue with the middle pickup since it's not happening with the others. So if anyone can help me it would be great. Btw, my pickups are Tex Mex if that helps.
definitely sounds like a grounding issue for the middle pickup.
additionally, the bridge ground sounds dodgy, since you've got a significant amount of hum when not touching the strings.

if you know how to solder, I'd open it and resolder the ground for the middle pickup on the 5-way switch.
If the hum gets better when he touches the strings then the bridge ground is fine. grounding the bridge doesnt shield the guitar from noise.

TS, you could have a bad ground but it sounds to me like the polepieces are somehow shorted to the hot side of the signal path, if that makes sense. is the magnet and/or mounting hardware shorting to hot somewhere?
Quote by Invader Jim
If the hum gets better when he touches the strings then the bridge ground is fine. grounding the bridge doesnt shield the guitar from noise.

TS, you could have a bad ground but it sounds to me like the polepieces are somehow shorted to the hot side of the signal path, if that makes sense. is the magnet and/or mounting hardware shorting to hot somewhere?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the pole pieces being shorted to the hot side of the signal path. When i touch the pickup mounting screws there's no hum, just when i touch the pole pieces.
Yeah just a grounding problem with the middle pickup. Do as purplecashew says don't forget to just check al your solder connections.
so does that mean i just have to check the middle pickup grounding wire on the back of the pot?
Ok, so i took a look under the hood of my strat today to check all the solder joints and re soldered all my ground wires. This hasn't helped at all. I've uploaded a video showing whats happening and also a pic of my wiring in case i've soldered something to the wrong spot. I've got my bridge pickup wired to the middle pickup tone control in case you're wondering why the wiring looks a little different. I've got the cavity fully shielded with copper foil as well, but i doubt that's the source of my problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-TfCvzV16c

TS, just a little tip about shielding, instead of buying a sheet of copper shielding buy some of that aluminum foil tape, it does the same job but cheaper