Okay, waiting for my pasta to boil in a day full of revision I will make this thread.

Exams or Coursework, what is a better form of assessment?

Let's be honest, life doesn't come down to a 2 hour assessment when youre about to die so why should exams be a good form of assessment? Meanwhile throughout life you build and work on your portfolio of skills. You may have to make research projects, presentations etc. at jobs but only very certain specific professions such as accountancy require continual examination throughout your career?

Cleverer kids will always do better in coursework too, and coursework shows your progress throughout the year. If you have a bad day, or forget one fact or term of an equation, that can be your entire exam fudged up, but with coursework your overall intelligence and competence will show through and test your understanding just as well as exams.

Discuss.
Both.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I much prefer exams even though coursework's typically easier. I can't manage my time well enough to do projects and essays and shit
Depends on the subject. For clear cut right and wrong answer subjects I think exams are better (so long as the subject matter is reasonably broken down so one off-day doesn't shaft your entire course), but for essay type questions I think exams are rubbish really.
Quote by guitarxo
exams also test how well you are able to cope with pressure.

So does coursework.

Quote by MadClownDisease
Depends on the subject. For clear cut right and wrong answer subjects I think exams are better (so long as the subject matter is reasonably broken down so one off-day doesn't shaft your entire course), but for essay type questions I think exams are rubbish really.

I used to think this, especially at School I was fine in exams, but the sheer density of topics at a university science course means I can't simply remember all of the equations, and deriving them is even more work than just memorising them, so I think coursework is extremely ineffectual since it's half actually understanding the content, and then half learning what all these bloody terms mean.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at May 1, 2013,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
So does coursework.

It does a bit more now. My brother breaks up for study leave next week (he's in year 11), and all coursework is done in lessons with a time limit. Ten years ago when I was in the same year, coursework was done whenever with a deadline, so less pressure, if you did the work.
I hate coursework because it takes up so much more time, but I'd say coursework is safer and a fairer assessment.