Hello all!

Lately I've noticed that when I sit down and begin to play, my right (picking) hand hurts, especially at the wrist. I do push myself from the beginning instead of slowly warming up properly, and I don't know if it's simply because of that or if I am not doing something correctly.

Any ideas at all? Thank you very much.
Before asking for help here, you should have tried to warm-up before you play.
I never had any pain in the wrist, so I think you're doing something wrong.
Maybe you should check a lesson on youtube about this subject.
Most people don't realize
That two large pieces of coral,
Painted brown, and attached to his skull
With common wood screws
Can make a child look like a deer.
Presuming you are fairly new to playing you probably are stressing your wrist too much. Releasing pressure, taking it slow and really concentrating on natural movements might do the trick. A good warm up is always recommended. Each to their own of course, personally I tend to warm up my hands and upper body for about 15 minutes. Keep doing some stretches along the way as you play, for if you play eg. 4hours in one go your hands will get tired. Take breaks now and then, just to give the muscles some rest.

And my favourite tip for warming up': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxSSw9muZrM
I'd suggest warming up before you play...gotta stretch before you run a race my friend!
Quote by zuhairreza
Hello all!

Lately I've noticed that when I sit down and begin to play, my right (picking) hand hurts, especially at the wrist. I do push myself from the beginning instead of slowly warming up properly, and I don't know if it's simply because of that or if I am not doing something correctly.

Any ideas at all? Thank you very much.

A good warm up for your hands and wrist, a Bucket of warm water. About 42°C is perfect, you can also stretch in the water but I give it about 30 seconds just warming before stretching. Amazing how loose your hands feel after about a minute, I do it every day.

Disclaimer, (before some bum clencher comes on here with his anal diatribe) This is not medical advice.... it's a bucket of water for christ sake!

If your picking hand isnt completely relaxed even at your faster picking tempos then thats your problem.Warm ups are good but maybe in your case they fight the symptoms and not the disease .If you are not aware of the tension in your right hand at all times then thats where you should start.Its not as obvious as you might think and needs some work to get there but after you do you ll find out that guitar playing would be relaxed and enjoyable even at breakneck speeds.

My advice before anything though....leave your hand for a week to rest.Playing through the pain is a no no.