Greetings!

So I am a noob...I play piano and violin a little and want to take on the guitar.
Looks are very important as it is going to be on the living room wall next to my grand piano. So looking good is crucial as I am not sure how much playing time I can get.
Must be a dark red mahogany or similar...so...

I can get a used (but mint condition) Epiphone SG Special for $115 with a GX112 Blue Devil Guitar Amp or a Schecter Diamond Tempest Custom Red ($220) used but with lots of scrtaches so I need to get a scratch remover kit.

It has upgraded pickups.

What would you do?

Thanks!
You have a grand piano on your living room wall?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
More seriously, if you really want to learn to play and can afford it, start with a better instrument. Given that you have a grand piano, it's likely that you understand the difference...while I have no doubt that you could play a cheap upright, we both know it wouldn't feel or sound the same.

So it goes with guitars. You may not need or want the guitar equivalent of a Bösendorfer, but you probably want to avoid the Casio keyboard equivalents...
Charles Darwin
Oh yes I fully understand what you mean...right now it is more of a decor thing to be honest, but I know I will be playing cause, well, that is what musicians do..we cannot help it
I am just not able to afford much right now as the grand is taking a grand chunk of money and I am just a poor musician lol
So you dont think either of those will be decent to get me started at least?
Thanks!
Quote by shaolin95
Oh yes I fully understand what you mean...right now it is more of a decor thing to be honest, but I know I will be playing cause, well, that is what musicians do..we cannot help it
I am just not able to afford much right now as the grand is taking a grand chunk of money and I am just a poor musician lol
So you dont think either of those will be decent to get me started at least?
Thanks!

My personal opinion would be that the Schecter is the better of those two and certainly can get you started. You'll need a method of amplifying it as well though, so don't forget to budget for that. If you're really strapped for cash, a Line 6 POD and a set of headphones is a good start and lets you explore quite a few options.
Charles Darwin
I can use my Focusrite 8i6 USB interface to play via my computer/home studio setup I think too in the mean time.
Last edited by shaolin95 at May 1, 2013,
Quote by shaolin95
I can use my Focusrite 8i6 USB interface to play via my computer/home studio setup I think too in the mean time.

Yep, that will work just fine.
Charles Darwin
Excellent.
I will take some pics of the Schecter to see share with the scratch remover people to see if they feel its possible for it to look clean.
Thanks!
I wouldn't recommend any of the "Special" models. Their wood suck big time. You can buy something way better for the same price. Talking about my own experience, I used to play on a LP Special II.
Yeah I am considering just using financing and getting a nice one to start with. I think that will motivate me to play more.
Why are you limited to just those two? Don't get the SG Special, it's a bottom-of-the-barrel model. And if the Schecter is a mess and looks are important to you, you won't be happy with it.

Nothing wrong with going used, I got all my guitars used and most were in excellent shape when I got them. Have you checked your local Craig's List?
Quote by Huge Guy
Why are you limited to just those two? Don't get the SG Special, it's a bottom-of-the-barrel model. And if the Schecter is a mess and looks are important to you, you won't be happy with it.

Nothing wrong with going used, I got all my guitars used and most were in excellent shape when I got them. Have you checked your local Craig's List?

That's right. Just make sure to buy from someone who understands and takes care of it, and you'll be buying something as good as new.
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
That's right. Just make sure to buy from someone who understands and takes care of it, and you'll be buying something as good as new.

Yes, a lot of junk on Craig's List too, he should go look at the guitar with someone who knows about guitars.

Also see a lot of "bought it and never had time to learn" stuff on there, these can be in near-new shape.
If its going on the wall its the perfect place for a Chibson... Do I get in the shit for suggesting that? After all, décor is really all they are???
If you want, buy a new guitar? I have an Ibanez ART100DX (it's a les paul shaped guitar) and it is reasonably priced. If you are looking for a redish guitar, they have a red and natural wood version of mine, the ART90.
It's built decently and i'd say it would be good for a beginner, as I was new to electric guitars myself only 6 months ago.

I've seen the red ART in a shop for only £200 or so, which should fit your budget by the sounds of it.