Well, I need a help for some tips in performing a barre chord.. I play an electric guitar for 4 years already ..I have learned already some of the guitar techniques and play well yet I just noticed that im still having a problem in the 1st and sometimes in the 2nd string when I play a bar chord ...is this natural or not... I just discover it now for such a long time
Last edited by Just_13 at May 2, 2013,
Practice the different chords and you will get better at them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try to focus mainly on your bar chords for a while if you really want to try to get it down, which you should. The way I learn was by forming the chord, then individually picking at each string, one at a time, then adjusting my fingers so that the string that were muted wouldnt be. After you have them all adjusted, then strum the whole chord so you get used to the way it should sound.
Yes, spend some time to work on these chords.

And you can practice on an acoustic guitar. Once you can play reasonably good on an acoustic guitar, you will find it's much easier on an electric.
Quote by seamil
The way I learn was by forming the chord, then individually picking at each string, one at a time, then adjusting my fingers so that the string that were muted wouldnt be. After you have them all adjusted, then strum the whole chord so you get used to the way it should sound.

This is also how I learnt. I paired this with playing songs which only have one barre chord in it. This is a good way to learn the barre chords because you can monitor your progress by forming the chord quicker and playing the song more fluid.
A big thing is keeping even pressure. You don't need to press that hard really, just evenly.

Also, practice practice practice!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
thanks for those tips.. sorry i'm wrong, I have played a guitar for 4 years (acoustic for 1 and a half year I think..and 2 years electric....and my first acoustic guitar was cheap and has a very high action ..others said it is defective..so I tried really hard to press the strings while learning this chords and barre chords even I was still a beginner at that time.....AND there is another problem here, it seems that my index finger's metacarpal joint part??? ( the first division of the finger) exactly rest on the 1st and 2nd string..making it muted by the space between that division...and actually I always play a song using barre and power chord...that only problem is when picking it by string
Last edited by Just_13 at May 2, 2013,
you are not alone the Bar chord is one of the harder chords to master. I agree with all that has been said here. I remember leaning Stairway To Heaven, the end is all bar chords and really helped me get better.
Quote by The Dimery
Turn your index on its side slightly, this should help with the muted strings.

yeah!! thanks, I think this one could help ..