Right , so i own a blackstar series one 100 head, along with an orrange closed back ppc212 .

It's not enough " metal " for me, sorry for lack of wording, just want more gain,

my other alternative is a blackstar cab , will i notice a difference?

Thanks
Quote by weirdzaid
Right , so i own a blackstar series one 100 head, along with an orrange closed back ppc212 .

It's not enough " metal " for me, sorry for lack of wording, just want more gain,

my other alternative is a blackstar cab , will i notice a difference?

Thanks

Other than the Blackstar cab probably not being as good? No. Do you have an overdrive pedal?

Tubescreamer? Bad Monkey? Something similar. I think you need one of those before you decide to sell the Blackstar and buy a Peavey 6505 (which is what a lot of people may tell you to do.)
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Yes i do, i overdrive it with a blackstar Drive pedal, or a luther drive, use both really, i was just wondering if a blackstar cab would work better than an orange for a blackstar head
Quote by weirdzaid
Yes i do, i overdrive it with a blackstar Drive pedal, or a luther drive, use both really, i was just wondering if a blackstar cab would work better than an orange for a blackstar head

I doubt it. A cab is a cab, the brand name is not going to make it sound better. Yes it is possible that the blackstar cabs have been somewhat tuned to the amp, but the difference that makes may not even be to your liking even if it was. Ultimately Orange cabs have a very solid reputation as some of the best sounding cabs on the market. The chances of a Blackstar cab sounding better are slim.

I don't have any experience with those pedals, but if you can't get enough gain by pushing the front end of a high gain amp with an overdrive pedal then I think you're doing something wrong.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 1, 2013,
You want even more gain? that will turn into a big pile of mush if your not really careful.

You could try the AMT B-drive/B-2 pedal. I believe they are based on the Bogner Uberschall. Or you can look at the new Bogner Uberschall red and blue pedal.

Or like already said 5150/6505 and Soldano HRA/SLO, Bogner Uberschall might be the way to go.
Or look for a Ampeg VH140/Crate GX130
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 1, 2013,
That Orange cab comes with Celestion V30 speakers, which is pretty much a standard in modern metal sound. Also Orange cabs have good reputation so I really doubt changing it will do you any good. Just change the speakers (G12-T75 comes to mind for classic scooped sounding stuff) if you dont like V30 sound but that is another story.

If you dont have enough gain even after overdriving it with a tubescreamer, either the amp is simply not capable of good metal tones (no idea, never heard of Blackstar Series One amps) and need a dedicated distortion pedal to replace amps distortion duties OR you are seriously overestimating how much gain you need.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 1, 2013,
with that amp and cab, if you're not getting enough gain from it then something must be wrong. can you get any sound samples at all with the settings you're most happy with?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Gain? You mean distortion I assume. The only way a different cab will get you more distortion is if you run a lower power cab and push it into speaker breakup. That isn't the sort of distortion you want for metal. You're looking at the wrong end of the chain. What you need is either a good distortion (Dirty Bomb, Suhr Riot, etc) or a nice boost (TC Spark Boost, MXR micro-amp or EQ pedal). The former will add it's own distortion, the latter will push the amp's preamp harder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +1

aside from sounding a bit more modern and holding together better with higher levels of distortion, speakers won't really affect the amount of distortion you're getting. at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get some apples.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."