Recently I finished mi pedalboard and I am very happy with it. The thing is after getting the tones I wanted I started to have a problem
Most of the time I run a epiphone les Paul with Seymour Duncan's JB and jazz pickups and then: boss OD3-VS son of Hyde distortion-crybaby wah-front of egnater rebel-effects loop- MXR analog chorus-memory boy analog delay-digitech RV7 reverb- effects loop return. I started to have a hiss on my rig so after changing cables, power supply etc, I noticed that it came from the MXR chorus. I really love the sound from that pedal and I don't want to change it, so after some thinking I decided to get a noise gate, after all, it will be useful also at higher gain. After some research I ended into the boss NS2 or the MXR noise clamp. Which one should be better in this rig? Also I wanted an eq pedal to fine tune some tones and saw also the GE7 and the 6 band EQ fr MXR. I am towards MXR because its small footprint ( I don't have a lot of room on the pedalboard) but I've heard good things about the boss one. Any alternatives? Which one is better? Thanks!!
If it was me I'd just fix the MXR chorus. Start by replacing any carbon resistors with metal film. If that doesn't sort it out start replacing the capacitors with something good like WIMA or Russian military PTFE's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MXR make the best EQ's. The Boss one can tend to be a bit noisy. The MXR 10 band is the pick of the bunch though. It not only has more bands but also an overall volume so you can change the boost/cut without disturbing the curve and a gain control so you can tweak it for running either in the loop or out front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have MXR 6 band EQ. Im very satisfied with it, I use it as a boost for solo, but it's useful for other stuff as well.
I saw a lot of people using Boss NS-2. And those were people with really expensive rigs, so I guess it's not a bad pedal.
Thanks for the reply, i'm thinking more in MXR right now so i think i will go on the 6 band EQ for now. The bigger one seems nicer but it is 50 bucks more and needs an 18 V adapter so i will try the small one. I'll give my impressions after I get it and put it to work
I actually just bought a noise clamp tonight off e-bay for a steal. Wondering if anyone has one or has experience with one. Looks very similar to a NS-2 Although I believe it only eliminates hum in the loop/gates it on and off depending on the threshold. While monitoring your dry signal if you have nothing in the loop and gating it on/off. This being said I have a BBE green screamer and in my experience you always place the OD BEFORE the noise gate/supressor (correct me if I'm wrong) so am I correct in assuming that I'd just throw the BBE in the loop?

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just saw an opportunity to chime in with a question and others may have the same
The NS-2 is better for controlling noise if you think you're getting most of your hum and noise before the amp. If you think it's more down to the preamp (e.g. your gain or treble controls are quite high) then the pedal I went for was the ISP Decimator. ISP's products are very heavy-handed, so they murder guitar signal but have no problems dealing with a noisy preamp. Conversely, Boss' pedal can be very finely tuned and is a more subtle effect, so it's great for sorting out noise coming from the guitar and pedals but a bit crap for the preamp.

The MXR products I have limited experience with, unfortunately, though based on the experience I do have with them I would not favour them. They tend to be quite limited, when I've used 'em. The exception would be the 10-band, where obviously that is an advantage over the 6- and 7-band EQs. For the record, I used a Boss GE-7 religiously for several years and never noticed it increasing noise whatsoever, even when I was using it as a treble boost. Still, if you could get the 10-band MXR, that is the way to go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
For a gate, I love my MXR Smart Gate. I don't really have any issues with noisy gear though, it's main purpose is to control feedback, which it does beautifully.
Quote by Amature
I actually just bought a noise clamp tonight off e-bay for a steal. Wondering if anyone has one or has experience with one. Looks very similar to a NS-2 Although I believe it only eliminates hum in the loop/gates it on and off depending on the threshold. While monitoring your dry signal if you have nothing in the loop and gating it on/off. This being said I have a BBE green screamer and in my experience you always place the OD BEFORE the noise gate/supressor (correct me if I'm wrong) so am I correct in assuming that I'd just throw the BBE in the loop?

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just saw an opportunity to chime in with a question and others may have the same

Jajaja Don't worry
Oh, I forgot to tell you one thing about MXR 6 band EQ. I have it and I'm very satisfied with it, but it sucks batteries very fast. I'd even say too fast. Sometimes I'm wondering is there something wrong with my pedal. I'm geting an adapter soon, buying batteries is not the best option with this pedal.
The problem with the 6 band is that you can't alter how much boost/cut you are getting without disturbing your curve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JackovSlayer
Oh, I forgot to tell you one thing about MXR 6 band EQ. I have it and I'm very satisfied with it, but it sucks batteries very fast. I'd even say too fast. Sometimes I'm wondering is there something wrong with my pedal. I'm geting an adapter soon, buying batteries is not the best option with this pedal.

I have a one spot that's has been doing its job ok; nevertheless I think sometime in the future I'll upgrade to a dc brick
Quote by Cathbard
The problem with the 6 band is that you can't alter how much boost/cut you are getting without disturbing your curve.

+311

the ten band is way better than the six, just due to the volume and gain sliders that the 6 band does not have. the 10 band can be cranked up as a boost and you can shape the curve. perfect thing to go into a lead with, you have balls as well as total control for what you are doing.

i personally would never buy an eq (unless rack) that didn't have volume and gain sliders.

i own a 10 band but it died on me. i haven't pin pointed it yet, but i will figure it out. went through a lot of use and abuse.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well a lot of thumbs up for the ten band so I stopped on buying the 6 band and I'm giving the 10 band a second thought; oh boy now I need more room on the pedalboard and more money in my pocket hahah
Quote by jorgeluisramon
Well a lot of thumbs up for the ten band so I stopped on buying the 6 band and I'm giving the 10 band a second thought; oh boy now I need more room on the pedalboard and more money in my pocket hahah

It would be the best if you could try both. Who knows, maybe for your demands 6 band can be enough. And you'll also save some money ( I know how hard it is to get money in your pocket).
Quote by JackovSlayer
It would be the best if you could try both. Who knows, maybe for your demands 6 band can be enough. And you'll also save some money ( I know how hard it is to get money in your pocket).

Good advice
To reinforce some mids and for solo boost. Fine tune mid freq. I play classic rock most of the time, switch between clean and od/dist a lot
I use it as a solo boost. It works perfectly to me.
A noise supressor could be very useful with an EQ, because EQ will boost not only the sound of the guitar, it also will boost the noise that's produced at certain frequencies you boost.
But still, I don't use noise supressor, I don't mind to have a little noise.
Quote by JackovSlayer

trying enough things is more important than others, but this one IMO you really don't need to.

but as far as the 6 band, its not that it has less bands of EQ, its that it doesn't have the gain and volume boost slider. that are only available on the 10 band. thats really what you need if you plan on using a solo boost, unless you are just looking for different voicing which in that case.

i know 311 uses a danalectro fish n' chips' and they are like $30, i personally haven't played one but the seem to last, but i wouldn't trust one gigging like the mxr.

but i would really recommend going with the 10 band i realize that its more money and some people's pockets are tight, but i don't think you would be happy with the 6 band. the volume and gain sliders are the main draw to it over the 6.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
trying enough things is more important than others, but this one IMO you really don't need to.

but as far as the 6 band, its not that it has less bands of EQ, its that it doesn't have the gain and volume boost slider. that are only available on the 10 band. thats really what you need if you plan on using a solo boost, unless you are just looking for different voicing which in that case.

i know 311 uses a danalectro fish n' chips' and they are like $30, i personally haven't played one but the seem to last, but i wouldn't trust one gigging like the mxr.

but i would really recommend going with the 10 band i realize that its more money and some people's pockets are tight, but i don't think you would be happy with the 6 band. the volume and gain sliders are the main draw to it over the 6.

Thanks for your reply. Someone knows if it comes with its own power supply? I know that it runs on 18V it'll be a shame if I'd also have to buy another power supply. Also I haven't had one unit in my hand I guess the 6B must be like my MXR chorus but this 10 band must double that size, maybe more. So more mods to my PB and costs but after all the most important thing here is to achieve the sound you want so sacrifices must be made I guess. It's a shame the 6B doesn't come with a level knob . Note aside, haven't heard about the danelectro one before, but for 30 must be like a toy heheh. I don't know, at that price tag sure its worth at least a try at a store
I didn't get power supply with any of the pedals I bought, so I guess you won't get it either. Yeah, 6 band is small pedal, while 10 band is a lot bigger.
Oh, I'm sorry, I wrote something wrong. I was just checking out the MXR website, and it says that 10 band EQ does come WITH ADAPTER.