I recently bought a Paul Reed Smith SE Tremonti, the guitar is great for the price but (as with most guitars) isn't perfect for me yet. I want to get a new treble pickup but I'm not sure which one. The SE pickups are amazing for the price range but I want something with a little more punch and clarity. In another guitar of mine I installed a Gibson Dirty Fingers pup and that thing is GREAT. But I don't really want to put a Gibson pup in a PRS, call me weird for that but I'm like a PRS enthusiast :P. So does anyone have any ideas? And to give you a background of my style I most play things like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Sixx am, and modern rock genres. But I'm also an avid classical, jazz, and blues songwriter. So if you have any tips or clues please let me know!!
I think you need to give us more details on what you want.

What amp are you using it through? How much gain do you like to use on an average play through? What kind of clean sound do you use when playing your Jazz stuff?

What characteristics would you like that your current pickups don't give you. Elaborate on "Punch and Clarity", more high end as well as low end? Or perhaps more mids? Less mids? More overall output?

Do you have anything in mind yet? The most popular pickups come from Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and Bareknuckle. Is there anything on their website that interests you?
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Thanks for the input, the current amp I am using is just a Line 6 spider IV 15 watt (I know, sad, but I like it :P) I am a real gain addict and have the gain up all the way most of the time. Like I said, I love the Gibson Dirty Finger but I want something a little bit different, I've looked into the American PRS Tremonti and HFS pickups but I haven't really experimented with them. I want a pickup that is a bit more tightly wound and has a little less midrange. I want each individual note to really be able to be heard in a distorted open chord. And I'd like for it to be really responsive to harmonics, and lastly, it needs to have that really big, fat, and wide mid range. Thanks again brother!
Quote by Jayjayden45
Thanks for the input, the current amp I am using is just a Line 6 spider IV 15 watt (I know, sad, but I like it :P) I am a real gain addict and have the gain up all the way most of the time. Like I said, I love the Gibson Dirty Finger but I want something a little bit different, I've looked into the American PRS Tremonti and HFS pickups but I haven't really experimented with them. I want a pickup that is a bit more tightly wound and has a little less midrange. I want each individual note to really be able to be heard in a distorted open chord. And I'd like for it to be really responsive to harmonics, and lastly, it needs to have that really big, fat, and wide mid range. Thanks again brother!

Check out the Bareknuckle VHII and the Cold Sweat, they have tone charts, descriptions and basic sound clips on their site. I think one of those may give you what you want.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
If you're playing through a Spider IV with the gain cranked then there's no point buying premium pickups like Bare Knuckles. Aside from the usual point that Bare Knuckles are ridiculously overpriced compared to otherwise identical boutique companies, neither your amp nor how you're using it will gain any benefit from scatterwound pickups. Valve amps with the gain set low to medium is where scatterwinding actually provides a benefit. When you're pushing a transistor amp up—let alone a digital modelling one—it's an entirely different story.

Bear in mind that with your amp and high gain, a pickup change will make a minimal difference at best. Output is irrelevant to your amp and only the broadest of changes will be noticable. Differently-constructed guitars, humbucker or single coil, bar magnet or separate pole pieces, active or passive. Those are the differences that you'll actually hear with that amp. Simply changing one medium-hot humbucker for another hot humbucker in the same guitar isn't going to really do anything.

I say this as someone who uses a Line 6 stack with the gain cranked.

You also first say you want "less midrange", then say you want " that really big, fat, and wide mid range." Pick one, because you can't have both.

If you absolutely insist on changing pickups, try a DiMarzio Evo 2 for even response, SD Custom 5 for something with less mid push and a SD Custom for something with more mid push. Those will all do your modern hard rock whilst still having a very slight classic edge, for when you're doing your blues bits. If you want to go full-on modern, the regular Evo, DM Steve's Special and SD Distortion are your pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you're playing through a Spider IV with the gain cranked then there's no point buying premium pickups like Bare Knuckles. Aside from the usual point that Bare Knuckles are ridiculously overpriced compared to otherwise identical boutique companies, neither your amp nor how you're using it will gain any benefit from scatterwound pickups. Valve amps with the gain set low to medium is where scatterwinding actually provides a benefit. When you're pushing a transistor amp up—let alone a digital modelling one—it's an entirely different story.

Bear in mind that with your amp and high gain, a pickup change will make a minimal difference at best. Output is irrelevant to your amp and only the broadest of changes will be noticable. Differently-constructed guitars, humbucker or single coil, bar magnet or separate pole pieces, active or passive. Those are the differences that you'll actually hear with that amp. Simply changing one medium-hot humbucker for another hot humbucker in the same guitar isn't going to really do anything.

I say this as someone who uses a Line 6 stack with the gain cranked.

You also first say you want "less midrange", then say you want " that really big, fat, and wide mid range." Pick one, because you can't have both.

If you absolutely insist on changing pickups, try a DiMarzio Evo 2 for even response, SD Custom 5 for something with less mid push and a SD Custom for something with more mid push. Those will all do your modern hard rock whilst still having a very slight classic edge, for when you're doing your blues bits. If you want to go full-on modern, the regular Evo, DM Steve's Special and SD Distortion are your pickups.

I dunno, firstly I have SD and Dimarzio's in all my guitars but my bands other guitarist has Bareknuckles in all his guitars and to me they are a step above anything else on the market, If I had the money I would swap to them most likely, I've tried and had experience with a lot of Bareknuckles over the years and they always deliver. Secondly he already stated he liked the Gibson pickups meaning regardless of what you say he has already heard a difference he likes through his amp, which ultimately is all that matters.

Yes I agree the Line 6 spider is not great and I agree with what you say about it in regards to pickups, but the guy is asking for pickup advice and has seen good results with other pickups so I see no reason to look down apon him and derail this with a "buy xxxx amp instead of pickups".

I don't think for example the regular Dimarzio Evo is going to give him what he wants from his description, it sounds like the complete opposite, I have them in my guitar, nor do I think the Duncan Distortion is Ideal (fitted one to a guitar for a friend). The Cold Sweat and VHII Bareknuckles on the other hand fit his description pretty well.

Bareknuckles are more expensive than SD/Dimarzio but in my eyes they are well worth it. If you do look at Seymour Duncan though, I think the JB or Full Shred would suit well.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 2, 2013,
Quote by Bigbazz
Check out the Bareknuckle VHII and the Cold Sweat, they have tone charts, descriptions and basic sound clips on their site. I think one of those may give you what you want.

Thanks brother! I'll be sure to check em out
Quote by Bigbazz
I dunno, firstly I have SD and Dimarzio's in all my guitars but my bands other guitarist has Bareknuckles in all his guitars and to me they are a step above anything else on the market, If I had the money I would swap to them most likely, I've tried and had experience with a lot of Bareknuckles over the years and they always deliver. Secondly he already stated he liked the Gibson pickups meaning regardless of what you say he has already heard a difference he likes through his amp, which ultimately is all that matters.

Yes I agree the Line 6 spider is not great and I agree with what you say about it in regards to pickups, but the guy is asking for pickup advice and has seen good results with other pickups so I see no reason to look down apon him and derail this with a "buy xxxx amp instead of pickups".

I don't think for example the regular Dimarzio Evo is going to give him what he wants from his description, it sounds like the complete opposite, I have them in my guitar, nor do I think the Duncan Distortion is Ideal (fitted one to a guitar for a friend). The Cold Sweat and VHII Bareknuckles on the other hand fit his description pretty well.

Bareknuckles are more expensive than SD/Dimarzio but in my eyes they are well worth it.

I agree! And also guys, refer back to my first reply "Line 6 spider IV 15 watt (I know it's sad, but I like it :P). What I meant was, yeah it's a cheesy amp but it gets the job done. And I don't plan on using it for too much longer :P