I've posted quite a lot of amp related threads lately but I guess I just haven't found the tone yet. My current amp a Peavey Classic 50 is pretty darn good, I love the clean channel but the drive is just okay (could easily be solved with a good distortion pedal though) but it is too loud for bedroom use.

I'm considering swapping my Peavey Classic 50 for an Orange Rocker 30 and I'm meeting the guy tomorrow to compare the amps.

I play a mix of clean stuff and dirty stuff. I love the nice clean channel on the C50 but the drive just doesn't cut it.

My question is: How good is the clean channel on the Rocker 30? Will I get some nice sparkle with a strat? And since it has no eq on the clean channel, does a eq pedal help much?
Question 2: How well can the dirty channel clean up? Since it has eq I've heard you can get some nice sparkly cleans there

Should I look into this any further or should I just keep the C50 and get a good distortion pedal? If so please recommend me some for playing classic rock and modern hard rock (even some post-hardcore)

-J
The cleans on the rocker 30 are usable, but nothing special. The dirty channel will clean up pretty well, but definitely not the amp I'd choose if I was looking for sparkly cleans. Drive channel will blow the peavey's out of the water imo.

Pretty sure the rocker's resale value is a couple hundred higher than the peavey's, so I would go ahead with the trade. You could always sell/trade it for something else if you don't like it.
Quote by zl1288
The cleans on the rocker 30 are usable, but nothing special. The dirty channel will clean up pretty well, but definitely not the amp I'd choose if I was looking for sparkly cleans. Drive channel will blow the peavey's out of the water imo.

Pretty sure the rocker's resale value is a couple hundred higher than the peavey's, so I would go ahead with the trade. You could always sell/trade it for something else if you don't like it.

This rocker has been for sale for like 2 weeks locally for a little over $800. There's another one for sale for the same price as well and they're not moving. The peavey c50's have been going for around $700-750 lately locally but there's one for sale now for $730 and it's not moving.

I'm pretty sure I could always sell the Rocker for $700 but the used market in Iceland is a bitch now, nothing moves except in trade deals.
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
This rocker has been for sale for like 2 weeks locally for a little over $800. There's another one for sale for the same price as well and they're not moving. The peavey c50's have been going for around $700-750 lately locally but there's one for sale now for $730 and it's not moving.

I'm pretty sure I could always sell the Rocker for $700 but the used market in Iceland is a bitch now, nothing moves except in trade deals.

Oh, didn't realize you were in Iceland. I regularly see c50's go for around/under $500 near me (in US), so that's what I was basing it on.
Quote by zl1288
Oh, didn't realize you were in Iceland. I regularly see c50's go for around/under $500 near me (in US), so that's what I was basing it on.

Yea they are darn expensive here... We have a crappy Peavey Dealer but our Orange dealer is top notch (we have simular or better prices than the US on new Oranges)
get an axe fx or a 6505. the two universal fixes.
-ltd mh-350fr
-ltd ec-401
-Ibanez RGA42FM
-peavey valveking 112
-line 6 spider iii 30 watt
-pedalz
no.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000
no.

this... I suggest you re-read my thread buddy. It's certainly not an "Which amp thread", and even if that was the case I doubt a 6505 will do me any good...
Have you considered a used AC30? seems like that would be the best amp for what you need. That being said the Rocker 30 will have great drives but the cleans are not as good as the peavey. In the orange family ud have to go up to a RV50 to find nice cleans along with the awesome crunch they are known for.
Just get a pomegranate. Way better.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Remnest
Have you considered a used AC30? seems like that would be the best amp for what you need. That being said the Rocker 30 will have great drives but the cleans are not as good as the peavey. In the orange family ud have to go up to a RV50 to find nice cleans along with the awesome crunch they are known for.

Well I have really considered a used AC15 or 30 but these rarely pop up for sale locally. I know the AC will not get near heavy enough but they do take drive pedals very well... A lot of people recommend those to me, how giany do they get? (I've only once played an AC30)
A Vox AC15/AC30 gets as gainy as a rocker 30 if it's completely turned up, I think.
I personally think they do mid gain just fine, issue is they dont have much bottom end so they arent suited for Metal per se. But the tones you get are simply amazing if you are into nice crunch tones. The cleans are basically some of the best ive heard, different from Fender ofc but thats the point.

You can drive the amp harder with an OD but dont expect a huge gain increase. Id say the 30 over the 15 since you have more wattage to play cleans at higher volumes.
Quote by Remnest
I personally think they do mid gain just fine, issue is they dont have much bottom end so they arent suited for Metal per se. But the tones you get are simply amazing if you are into nice crunch tones. The cleans are basically some of the best ive heard, different from Fender ofc but thats the point.

You can drive the amp harder with an OD but dont expect a huge gain increase. Id say the 30 over the 15 since you have more wattage to play cleans at higher volumes.

The Vox's do mid gain just fine and have the nicest chime in the amp world, that's for sure. I would get the 15 cause I need a bedroom amp (maybe band practice later but only bedroom for now). What about using distortion pedals to get high gain stuff? I'm thinking high gain orange tones mostly (Think Sleeping with Sirens the highest I would go) but also some marshall crunch and high gain (From GnR to Rev Theory or simular modern rock bands)

Edit: I know for these tones you will suggest me a Marshall or Orange but I need sparkly cleans
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at May 2, 2013,
The Classics have really great cleans, as you can attest to yourself. I suggest just putting a really good dirt on top.

Don't ask me which, as I'm not very familiar with the territory you play, but I will say take a look at Wampler's offerings.

You could also take a look at the Peavey JSX. The clean channel is based on the Classic clean channel. I haven't compared them side by side or anything so I can't say how close it is, but it sounds pretty damn good on it's own, at least considering what other goodies the JSX has under the hood.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 2, 2013,
Keep the C50. Suits your needs best out of the two, just buy a nice drive pedal.
Like the guy above said, check out some WAMPLER stuff, like the Triple Wreck and the SLOstortion. Especially the Triple Wreck.
The Dr Scientist Elements might also be worth a look
If all you are doing is playing with yourself in your bedroom buy a Pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification