Hello, this is my first time posting here. For a while now I've been looking for a tube amp that has the following characteristics listed from important to least important.

- Warm tone
- Smooth (perhaps creamy is a better term?)
- High gain
- Sustain
- Versatile

So far I have been looking a lot at Engl amps, specifically the Powerball II for a while now and am really liking the reviews on it but i'm not sure it has the tone i am looking for. Recently I've discovered Orange amps and i'm very impressed with the tone that they have. The one that im was interested in is the Rockerverb MKII.

So in general i was wondering input on these amps or other amplifiers that have the quality that i listed.
Welcome to the forums.

It would help us a lot if you answered a few questions: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

You cannot really go wrong with either ENGL or Orange amps, as they are both great quality and highly regarded here. Stating those two amps, I am assuming you have a healthy budget to work with, so it really just comes down to preference in tone.

Another amp that I would recommend you at least check out is the Mesa Boogie Mark V, which completely dominates everything in your list, especially versatility. It's a great sounding, swiss army knife of an amp.
Peavey JSX
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50/100
Mesa Boogie Mark IV/V
Laney VH100r
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you can afford it, Engl is the right answer. Every single time. I've always found that Engl seems to have a juicy (somewhat creamy) undertone to the insane aggressiveness and that's what's set it apart from most super hi-gain amps to my ears.

Also, welcome!
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I would call the Powerball

Very High Gain
Tight but big low end
Aggressive mids and highs
Very compressed

I wouldn't call it a warm sounding amp, and it's commonly reffered to as a "processed" sounding high gain amp designed for metal. I used one a few times live (in a metal band) but it was my friend who owned it, he eventually sold it because he thought it was too processed and sterile sounding, he replaced it with a Peavey 6505.

What kinda music do you intend to be playing with it? A Powerball is above all else a metal amp, one that excells at lower tunings.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 2, 2013,
^ yeah. while engls tend to be pretty smooth and refined, some people can find that very processed-sounding. and the powerball (based on the original version i tried, I haven't tried version II) probably isn't the best engl for those smoother tones, the blackmore or savage or something like that would likely be better for those type of tones. EDIT: and yeah i'm not sure i'd call them warm... they tend to be fairly bright. granted things can be sorta warm and bright at the same time, if that makes sense (as opposed to dark, which is kinda the opposite of bright), but yeah. soldano would also be worth a look, but again i'm not sure how warm i'd call it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 2, 2013,
No budget? Mesa Mk V.

What am I thinking? Dumble!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I honestly think an Orange OR50 or 100 would be worth looking into. I played one the other day and they're absolutely beastly. Loads of gain and they can be very smooth sounding as well. Not as high gains as most ENGLs or a 6505, but less compressed as well.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by cdr_salamander
Welcome to the forums.

It would help us a lot if you answered a few questions: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

You cannot really go wrong with either ENGL or Orange amps, as they are both great quality and highly regarded here. Stating those two amps, I am assuming you have a healthy budget to work with, so it really just comes down to preference in tone.

Another amp that I would recommend you at least check out is the Mesa Boogie Mark V, which completely dominates everything in your list, especially versatility. It's a great sounding, swiss army knife of an amp.

thank you very much, i'll be sure to answer the questions. people are telling me i wont get the tone i want with the powerball so i'll look at some other amps. I've heard the mark V is hard to use because of how versatile it is though.
Quote by evmac
I honestly think an Orange OR50 or 100 would be worth looking into. I played one the other day and they're absolutely beastly. Loads of gain and they can be very smooth sounding as well. Not as high gains as most ENGLs or a 6505, but less compressed as well.

I'm looking at them right now actually, and i was wondering whats the difference between valve amps and tube?
Quote by Bigbazz
I would call the Powerball

Very High Gain
Tight but big low end
Aggressive mids and highs
Very compressed

I wouldn't call it a warm sounding amp, and it's commonly reffered to as a "processed" sounding high gain amp designed for metal. I used one a few times live (in a metal band) but it was my friend who owned it, he eventually sold it because he thought it was too processed and sterile sounding, he replaced it with a Peavey 6505.

What kinda music do you intend to be playing with it? A Powerball is above all else a metal amp, one that excells at lower tunings.

Thank you very much for your input, im looking for a warm sounding amp so i'll look at some other amps. I tend to not play rhythm and i like to play neo-classical metal, more melodic solo's then power chords everywhere.
Quote by tas38
If you can afford it, Engl is the right answer. Every single time. I've always found that Engl seems to have a juicy (somewhat creamy) undertone to the insane aggressiveness and that's what's set it apart from most super hi-gain amps to my ears.

Also, welcome!

From what i've seen i really like Engl, which amp do you think fits what i am looking for?
No difference between valve and tube. People in the UK call it valve, people in the USA call it tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
granted things can be sorta warm and bright at the same time

I thought that was "open"?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You mentioned Neo-Classical. Have you checked out the Marshall YJM100? It's essencially a Plexi with all the modern features (Noise gate, Attenuator, Solo Boost, Reverb and a footswitch).

The YJM is an amazing sounding amp, and well I think it suits the genre you enjoy pretty well, for obvious reasons.

You should also check out Cornford amps, though they aren't the easiest to get hold of new right now (that should fix itself in the near future with a new production coming). Cornford amps are used widely by some of the top virtuoso shredder guitarists, such as Guthrie Govan, Dweezil Zappa, Greg Howe and a bunch of the insane youtube Jazz Fusion players.

The Cornford MK50 would be ideal for what you need.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 3, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
No budget? Mesa Mk V.

What am I thinking? Dumble!

yeah you need those fragile harmonics

Quote by Angelus333
From what i've seen i really like Engl, which amp do you think fits what i am looking for?

out of what i've tried, probably the blackmore or savage (i haven't tried the savage, but i've got the savage se, which is broadly similar but not identical, i think). Or the SE, but it's silly-expensive unless you need all of its features.

problem is, i haven't tried the newer ones (the engl dealer here shut plus it tended to only have the cheaper models anyway), and the invader and other models like that may well work well for what you want, too.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I thought that was "open"?

maybe I may well be talking gibberish
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been looking alot more into Orange amps and am very impressed with the tone of the Rockerverb Mk II. it also has a function that lets me switch out tubes or mix and match them with ease which seems to be a very useful thing. Is Orange worth the money?
Orange are awesome amps yeah, top notch stuff.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V