Page 1 of 2
Alright guys I really need help. Long story short, while playing my baby the strap-lock, both which I had just tightened, gave out and my poor girl fell on her face. Hard. This happened; http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/68to177/media/DSCN0241_zpsa819cdcf.jpg.html My dad is gonna help me fix it, and he has many years of very skilled woodworking under his belt. He says he can fix it, but i really need to know if there is anything special or strange I have to do to save her. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
A moment of silence...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just curious, was it the screw that ripped out of the wood or the actual strap lock that let go? I mention that because over tightening strap screws can strip the threads pretty easily. If that's the case, I do have some advice on how to fix that, but not on how to fix the headstock.

Best of luck on that, I cringed at that picture.
Quote by ExDementia
Just curious, was it the screw that ripped out of the wood or the actual strap lock that let go? I mention that because over tightening strap screws can strip the threads pretty easily. If that's the case, I do have some advice on how to fix that, but not on how to fix the headstock.

Best of luck on that, I cringed at that picture.

No the lock let go. The screw in the body holds as strong as if it were welded and I've fixed that on other peoples guitars anyway. Thanks for the suggestion and sympathy
Quote by ExDementia
What kind of straplock was it? There are arguments around here all the time on what's the best and not much fuel for any either way.

Ooohhhhhhhhhh.........I can't think of it. I'll look and try to refind em tomorrow. They were really good, I mean when I first got em i really tried to make them fail and couldn't, but for no reason or warning at all, one quit today.
Good lord man, I'm sorry that happened. This has always been my fear with strap locks. I'm highly considering the Grolsch method myself. If Johnny Marr and Nels Cline swear by it, well, it may be worth a shot.
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
Good lord man, I'm sorry that happened. This has always been my fear with strap locks. I'm highly considering the Grolsch method myself. If Johnny Marr and Nels Cline swear by it, well, it may be worth a shot.

If you're nervous about strap locks, you should try the dimarzio locking strap which seems pretty neat

TS, it sounds like you have the Hennessee Strap locks. I bought a pair for my schecter and the strap lock on the top horn kept unscrewing itself. I would recommend the Dunlop ones for next time since I've had much better experiences with those.

Good luck with the guitar though. I hope it turns out well.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
If you're nervous about strap locks, you should try the dimarzio locking strap which seems pretty neat

TS, it sounds like you have the Hennessee Strap locks. I bought a pair for my schecter and the strap lock on the top horn kept unscrewing itself. I would recommend the Dunlop ones for next time since I've had much better experiences with those.

Good luck with the guitar though. I hope it turns out well.

Alright man thanks
Check out Grolsch beer - basically it's a washer that sits between the strap and the button. It's a cheap and evidently reliable way to keep the strap on. The downside is that you can't really take off the strap easily or often, so you don't strip the screw or hole.
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
Check out Grolsch beer - basically it's a washer that sits between the strap and the button. It's a cheap and evidently reliable way to keep the strap on. The downside is that you can't really take off the strap easily or often, so you don't strip the screw or hole.

Oh. I'll try that once I have a functioning guitar.
Keep every piece. Thousands if not millions of Gibsons/Epiphones have broken in that spot (poor design) and many of those have been fixed, so google around for tips & tricks.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Make sure he uses Franklin Tite-bond wood glue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That pic broke my heart
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Don't worry, you can get that fixed easily. Your dad should glue it back together with tite-bond original glue (not II or III). Make sure you get all the pieces and clamp it together nice and tight.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at May 3, 2013,
i thought gore wasnt allowed

but seriously im sorry that happened youshould try dimarziostraplocks
never failed me
also many gibson break there its the headstck angle im pretty sur eits fixable
but still
ouch
Holy shit.

My nightmare visualised.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Schaller straplock is pretty good and safe i think. or dunlop.

but still, that pic is a nightmare, don't have a clue how to fix it.
What Epiphone is it?

In all honesty some guitars with wood that isn't as dense as others will snap like that when dropped. Others may not splinter as easily.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I bought my Les Paul cuz the neck had snapped there. It broke in the shop I believe, who then fixed it and sold it to me. Anyway, just for your reassurance, it was a beautiful fix. When it was first done, you couldn't see it unless you looked real hard. It's easier to see now as the paint has chipped around it from me playing it so much. It doesn't affect the tuning stability at all, at least, not on mine. It meant I got a real Gibson les Paul for £890. Brand new. So, the snapped neck has had zero impact on the playability or the tuning stability. I can't say how it affected the sustain, if at all, cuz I didn't play the guitar before it happened, but like any decent Les Paul, it sustains for days.

If done well, it should be completely unnoticeable.
Headstock damage like this is fully fixable if you still have all the pieces to glue them back together. You still quite lucky the break wasn't any further into the neck or that would be a huge problem to make it works.

Well, good luck and I hope the guitar will be played again soon.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I bought my Les Paul cuz the neck had snapped there. It broke in the shop I believe, who then fixed it and sold it to me. Anyway, just for your reassurance, it was a beautiful fix. When it was first done, you couldn't see it unless you looked real hard. It's easier to see now as the paint has chipped around it from me playing it so much. It doesn't affect the tuning stability at all, at least, not on mine. It meant I got a real Gibson les Paul for £890. Brand new. So, the snapped neck has had zero impact on the playability or the tuning stability. I can't say how it affected the sustain, if at all, cuz I didn't play the guitar before it happened, but like any decent Les Paul, it sustains for days.

If done well, it should be completely unnoticeable.

I didn't know you had a repair job.

It's got character!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I just fixed a G-400 for a guy with a very similar break. It came out pretty nice. You can see it really good on the front, but he just wanted it fixed he did not want to pay for me to refinish the head stock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mephaphil
I didn't know you had a repair job.

It's got character!

Yup. When I got it, there was no way I could afford a mint condition one. I got so lucky with that guitar. Got it off eBay. Didn't know if it would affect tuning as I didn't know much if anything about neck breaks then, never saw it before. Then I got it and everything was perfect.
GOOD LORD!!

You sure you didnt throw that thing out of a 5 story window with the hopes of your parents getting you a new guitar afterwards!?

Thats brutal...
Quote by Axe Murderer
GOOD LORD!!

You sure you didnt throw that thing out of a 5 story window with the hopes of your parents getting you a new guitar afterwards!?

Thats brutal...

it's like he was an

AXE MURDERER
Man I just found out the hydro company wont be covering half of my studio equipment that got fried in a power surge, it was on surge protectors but it was so much power it still fried crap. I also got my tax information back and found out I owe the government a lovely $800 and your picture of a broken guitar still hurt more then all of that!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by SteveHOC

Wait what? Stripping the screw or hole? Are you saying taking the washers off repeatedly could cause damage?
Thanks a lot guys. If you think pictures are bad you shoulda seen when I saw what that cracking sound really was . I was in shock for no joke 3 hrs, then when got back home and ran upstairs to play it(a habit i have) and saw my poor baby again, i almost cried.

For whoever asked, she was an Epi Les Paul Standard.

Thanks again for the reassurance and sympathy, I get the original tite-bond(I probably actually have some). Is there any other tricks I should know?
Quote by RockAddict311
Wait what? Stripping the screw or hole? Are you saying taking the washers off repeatedly could cause damage?

No removing and replacing the screw multiple times can damage the threads and strip them out. This happened on my Ibanez but only after putting on my strap locks. I think the screw that came with them was a tad bit narrower than the previous one, so it stripped. I just put two tooth pics in there and threaded the screw into them and it's been rock solid ever since.
Quote by Axe Murderer
GOOD LORD!!

Thats brutal...

Did you do it? Well, did you???
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Did you do it? Well, did you???

Not a chance man. This thing was my baby, and i never had a scratch on her before this tragedy.
Quote by fg-433s
Not a chance man. This thing was my baby, and i never had a scratch on her before this tragedy.

Your name's not Axe Murderer. Normally when someone quotes someone it means they are addressing them.

We know you did it, it's your guitar.

I'll always question someone who's called Axe Murderer in the event of a guitar being maimed, just in case.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Your name's not Axe Murderer. Normally when someone quotes someone it means they are addressing them.

We know you did it, it's your guitar.

I'll always question someone who's called Axe Murderer in the event of a guitar being maimed, just in case.

Haha okay man. Kinda threw me for a loop
so you took the tuners off before taking the picture?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
so you took the tuners off before taking the picture?

Yeah. I taped it together to see if any pieces were missing, but with the tuners, the head was to heavy and tried to lean back. I didn't want it tearing any of the wood that was left out of place.
Page 1 of 2