It has been about 2 years since I last picked up my guitar and played, found myself still able to play but lost my callouses on my fingertips so trying to build that back up. This is just something I want to get off my chest simply because, well this is the Pit and I can post whatever. I stopped playing because I just didn't have it in me anymore, I didn't strive for it anymore and what made me stop was my Father passed away, who was also a guitarist, a damn good one too, much better than I am at the moment. He died of Leukemia at the age of 63. I haven't seen him in a long time and have planned to meet back up and catch up, but it never happened, he became ill and was in and out of the hospital. Over the phone he told me he wanted to leave his equipment to me, his favorite Fender which i never asked what model, a Les Paul and a JVC Marshall amp, which I thought was great and could carry out his legacy with his equipment. But that never came to be. After his passing my half-sisters didn't see out his will to leave me his equipment, instead I received an old 410 shotgun of his, a rosary and a christmas ornament with his name on it. I don't know what happened to his equipment, but im pretty sure they sold it, since I am the only one of his offsprings that even knows how to play guitar or have any kind of musical prowess. It's a shame and leaves a sore spot in my mind when I see pictures of my father, his name was Florencio "Chuck" Vargas from Laredo, Tx resident of Lake Charles, LA. These are some pics of him and yes pics of his two guitars.

I'm glad to say that, I will continue playing, cause i know it's something he would want me to do and not give up something I loved so much.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Sorry about your father. It really is a shitty situation when family fights over what the deceased leaves to who.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at May 3, 2013,
I'm sorry about your father's Fender and Gibson
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
I looked at the pictures before reading the thread and read it as if you were old.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Im sorry about your father and his guitars. People who dosent play instruments dont know about the emotions a guitar can carry. Your fathers Soul was in those guitars and they shouldnt have been sold.
Glad you're returned to the community, and so sad to hear about your Dad's passing and the poor way his gear was treated. Makes me thankful about my own experience: When my grandfather passed away many years ago, I was fortunate that my grandmother gave me his circa 1950 Gibson L50 archtop - she knew I adored that guitar. She passed also just a couple of months later and if I hadn't had it, I fear it might have similarly been sold with their estate. It's my most treasured possession (after the wife and kids, of course ... !)

Again, welcome back to the community and remember the best way to keep your Dad's spirit alive is to keep working on your own skills - that's what he'd be most proud of.
Quote by desperatechris
Im sorry about your father and his guitars. People who dosent play instruments dont know about the emotions a guitar can carry. Your fathers Soul was in those guitars and they shouldnt have been sold.

I guess only guitar players/musicians really have that view on things, and it's a damn shame the gear couldn't have gone to someone who does share that view. Amplifiers, in my opinion, tend to be quite fungible, but guitars are so much more than their model name, and to have them descend down the family line is a very romantic sort of picture.

And for what it's worth, that is one damn fine looking LP Custom . TS, I'm assuming you're not close enough with your half-sisters to ask them about what happened to the equipment?

And I shouldn't forget: sorry for the loss of your ol' pop. I'm getting way too gear-focused here, the fact that you're playing again of course means a lot more than the instruments themselves!
REGGIE
Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and for the kind words left and to those who didn't read well, it is what it is. But to answer some questions no im not at all very close with my half sisters so I never asked them about it I only assumed it was sold since the issue of money was brought up by them and were deciding to sell his equipment and home.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
sorry to hear about your loss. A real shame about the gear, I would imagine it would have been important and carry a lot of meaning for you. Frankly, that, plus the fact that you were a musician makes the sale of the equipment ridiculous, and that's if you only look at resale values, let alone the personal value of it..