Im looking for something to keep in my studio to record with,

Criteria:
Has to be tube or have an unbelievable gain channel (in terms of tone)
Be under 20W power output
Have at leat a 3 band eq
Has to have a recording out of some sort.
Im really looking at heads tbh

The basis is the Blackstar HT5 and HT20

I use alot of gain in my sound so needs to be good at that.

I have the Blackstar HT1r combo which i love but to get the level of gain i need i have to crank it and there isnt really enough headroom as its only 1w.

needs to be around £250-350 or $388-$544

all suggestion welcome
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Jet City JCA22h
Krank 1980 jr/Rev Jr/Kstein Jr
Orange DT/#4/OR15
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why under 20 watts? Why only heads? Do you have a cab to run through? Does the budget include a cab if not? Used or new? Where do you live? (would determine your used/new market recommendations).
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I seconed the JCA22H.

The guy that does all of our recording for us has a 20H that he uses to recored his own stuff, and he is able to get and crazy distorted tone out of that thing.

Thats actually why I ended up buying my JCA50H
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I have a 412 cab at practice but dont want to bring it home.

only 20w as i dont need any more power if im using the record out and only a head to save space.

ill look at the jet city stuff and the dark terror they are the sort of thing im looking for,

its mainly for recording songs for demos to take to practice
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by peavey6505+user
I have a 412 cab at practice but dont want to bring it home.

only 20w as i dont need any more power if im using the record out and only a head to save space.

ill look at the jet city stuff and the dark terror they are the sort of thing im looking for,

its mainly for recording songs for demos to take to practice

If you're only using the record out it kinda defeats the purpose of using a tube head imo Also, you would still need to grab a cab because you can't run a tube amp with no load.

Why not just grab a Pod HD or grab a nice interface and use amp modeling software. Would probably sound much better than using the record out on something like the HT series, and will offer a ton more versatility.
Last edited by zl1288 at May 3, 2013,
Quote by zl1288
If you're only using the record out it kinda defeats the purpose of using a tube head imo Also, you would still need to grab a cab because you can't run a tube amp with no load.

Why not just grab a Pod HD or grab an nice interface and use amp modeling software. Would probably sound much better than using the record out on something like the HT series, and will offer a ton more versatility.

well i use the blackstar HT1R to record using the recording out and its fine i just need abit more headroom hence wanting a higher wattage amp.

im not good with modelling software I havent got the patience to sit there and set it up,

I use the amps recording out into a pre sonus pre amp then into my interface into protools,
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

You still need to have the head connected to a load, or you can kiss that OT goodbye.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
You still need to have the head connected to a load, or you can kiss that OT goodbye.

Does the HT-1 even have an OT?

TS, any of the amps we suggested will need a cab or load of some type attached. I don't think any of those amps have a DI out anyways, you probably have the best option for this already.

Again, for this sort of thing modeling software is awesome. Maybe what you really need is more patience
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If you're going to DI, use amp sims. If you want to record an amp, just lug the big rig home. It'll be worth it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have been looking into this range of stuff myself recently so I can tell you my top picks are:
Blackstar HT5
Laney IRT Studio
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Jet City JCA22 (Thomann has them for £200!!)
Pod HD Desktop (it's not a head but I like it's recorded tone :-) )
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
new randall rg13.....theres is a couple reviews out on youtube already....looks very versatile with all of it features
so the Blackstar HT5 head would need to connceted to a cab for me to record out of the recording out, when i connect my ht1r via the recording out it cuts the speaker.

would this not be the same for the head it would cut signal to the speaker.

the way i would under stand this to work would be that the pre amp signal would be routed to the emulated output circuit then out of the jack bypassing the power section.
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

It's different from amp to amp. The recording out on my Mesa silences the speaker, but I still need it connected to a load.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Pretty sure the HT5 needs a load connected when using the record out.

And honestly, I kinda doubt you would see much of a difference between the HT1 and HT5/HT20 if you're just DI'ing them.
my peavey has a recording out and it doesnt disconnect the speaker so i guess you right, it seems i might be best ring blackstar and asking if i can use the head HT5 without it plugged in to a cab if i only use the record out
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by barnesybaby

Laney IRT Studio

This.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by peavey6505+user
so the Blackstar HT5 head would need to connceted to a cab for me to record out of the recording out, when i connect my ht1r via the recording out it cuts the speaker.

would this not be the same for the head it would cut signal to the speaker.

the way i would under stand this to work would be that the pre amp signal would be routed to the emulated output circuit then out of the jack bypassing the power section.

The Blackstar HT5 can be used for recording without a load connected. You can plug into the emulated output, keep the amp on standby and use it fine (as per the manual). I do with mine :-)
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
The Blackstar HT5 can be used for recording without a load connected. You can plug into the emulated output, keep the amp on standby and use it fine (as per the manual). I do with mine :-)

Thank you made my choice easier, but tbh I'll be getting my hands on one of those iron heart studios aswell cant hurt to have variety
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

So your issue with the Blackstar is lack of headroom for clean sounds? I can't see how 1w is not enough headroom for recording gain sounds with a line output. Makes no sense to me.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by peavey6505+user
Thank you made my choice easier, but tbh I'll be getting my hands on one of those iron heart studios aswell cant hurt to have variety

Agreed! I'm waiting for the price to come down and/or to pick one up used. At 400 they're a bargain but still worth getting cheaper if possible. I want a home studio with lots of smaller amps personally :-)
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40