My band has its first gig in a couple weeks and more booked all summer, im sweating not having a backup amp. Do u guys ever bring a backup, have u ever had to use it and if so what do u use?

I dont really have the cash to buy a second amp and also dont want to lug it around, i was thinking of maybe trying to score a used pod or something thats easy to carry and can plug direct into PA in an emergency? Any other suggestions in the $200-300 range?
The Tech 21 Sansamp Character pedals could be something to look at. Basically an amp in a box that also works with your pedals. Plus, I believe they have the added benefit of disabling the cab out so you can use it as a preamp of sorts. There are some great reviews about it and having used the Joyo knockoff of one, (the American sound which I believe is a copy of the Blonde), even that works fine as a backup.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Zoom G3.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Not a bad idea to get somthing like a pod, maybe get a used one and a cheap tube preamp (maybe behringer) and run that into a di box from the venue make it sound a little warm because of the tube in it. I personally sometimes take my Blackstar HT1R as back up as it have a recording out which can be hooked up to a pa but have never had to use it.

what amp do you have atm?
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Just have some spare tubes available. Most of the time, that's going to be your root cause of equipment failure.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Just have some spare tubes available. Most of the time, that's going to be your root cause of equipment failure.

Fuses as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

In fact I never take my amp. We always send the ma Rider asking for the equipment we need, and always get it...
Quote by thetoneranger
My band has its first gig in a couple weeks and more booked all summer, im sweating not having a backup amp. Do u guys ever bring a backup, have u ever had to use it and if so what do u use?

I dont really have the cash to buy a second amp and also dont want to lug it around, i was thinking of maybe trying to score a used pod or something thats easy to carry and can plug direct into PA in an emergency? Any other suggestions in the $200-300 range?

I played for 5 and half years with the same band and none of us, two guitars, bass, drums, ever brought or used a backup amp. Played lots of bars/clubs, open air events and some dirty dusty arenas. Not saying that things never went wrong, but the techs we travelled with always seemed to be able to sort it out, never cancelled a gig in all that time. I kept a bag of fresh cables and that behind my rig onstage and the odd time used one or gave one away. Bring the usual extra strings, picks etc and bring a really good sound guy even if the venue provides FOH. Good luck!! Enjoy the experiences
I am using my backup amp atm. It's a JCM900 combo.

I'll always take spare tubes with me. I can usually fix it on the spot to get me through the gig. I take a fairly comprehensive toolkit with me to gigs. Soldering iron, cutters, pliers, tubes, plugs, sockets, wire and other shit. I'm a regular walking workshop at a gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AMT or Blackstar pedal-sized preamp plus an EHX 44 caliber could be worth a look.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
most gigs will have an in house cab or something so you could have something like a tiny terror head as a backup pretty easy
If I feel like traveling heavy I'll bring my Vypyr 120H + Sanpera II, but I don't really need to, as I have a GT-10 in my rig. I could always just go direct with that in a pinch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I do most of the time.
I do like the EHX .22/.44 POD deal.

I did just buy a Krank 1980 Jr 20watt head that I bring as a back-up now. They are great and small for an all tube amp (20ish lbs and 1/2 the foot print of my Marshall JCM head). You can find the Krank Jr series heads for $300 used all day on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear.

Also Jet City JCA 20/22h used would be worth a look
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tonehunter1992
most gigs will have an in house cab or something so you could have something like a tiny terror head as a backup pretty easy
In almost 30 years of gigging I have never known this to be true.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I keep a tool box with things I might need on the road, strings, screws, nuts, screw drivers, pliers and pliers, batteries upon batteries, and tubes and a multimeter. I do have an OCD on my board that I had to use ONCE through the sound system, and it sounded ok. The venue stressed a back line, but we always bring our heads anyways, turns out a cab was shot, so we used that. I am looking for a lunchbox type head to fall on my lap one of these days as a practice amp that I would take with me on the road as an "Super Emergency" head, but I've never had a problem, even with my year 2000 Dsl, use it for hours a day and no issues.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
We are responsible for our sound at all places we are booked, no in house anything. Although its not impossible i cant ever see having an issue with my cab, my head has fresh tubes in it and i would bring spares. Im just looking for a quick alternative in the case somehting more then a tube went, either a cheapy small head with an fx loop so i could use my pedal board or a multi-fx unit capable of going direct, i dont want to be soldering anything on stage lol. Thanks for the responses.
When I play bigger gigs, or leave town to play, I always bring my little 112 tube combo along, just in case something were to go wrong with my head or cab.

If you got the cash, I'd say why not pickup a small combo, or head to take as backup.

It works out pretty good if you like to leave you main setup at a rehearsal space too.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
for all the gigs ive played i have only taken my backup with me once. which was last gig. my 5150 was having some issues but other than that never. if you are playing in a band with 2 guitarists make sure that your band can carry on without you for one song so the show doesnt have to stop. my band is great at this our bassist has equipment issues now and then. most of the time i can fix my stuff and have it up and running within 5 min.
if you do what the guys are saying and bring an emergency repair kit you should be fine.
spare tubes pre and power, cables, fuses, strings, batteries, screwdrivers, pliers,etc.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Never used a backup amp, I have other amps I could use but never taken them with me.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V