Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for being such a great community.. I'm new to this forum, and i have already gotten tons of help from you users, so thank you very much

To the matter of earplugs

So, i'm going to buy my first electric soon, and i plan on doing some gigs when i get good enough ;-)

I have played acoustic for a long time, so i have never had to face the issue of amplifiers and stuff that can suddenly go mental and ravage your ears! :-/

Where do you guys stand on this??

Should i get some earplugs and use them for the practice im going to do at home by myself and also for the future gigs, or just gigs??

And what kind of earplugs should i get, if any??

I have heard about earplugs that don't ruin all the sounds, just lower them. Anyone know about this???

Thanks guys, and let the discussion begin! :-)
what you need is a new amp

preferrably one that doesn't suddenly go mental and ravage your ears
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Might be useful for band practice and gigs. I've started using them at concerts.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For home use you'll be fine, Re-evaluate the situation if/when you start playing with a band
Quote by Burgery
what you need is a new amp

preferrably one that doesn't suddenly go mental and ravage your ears

Well i don't have an amp yet.. Since i don't have an electric guitar yet... soooo....

Well, i have set my sights on a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (if it sounds right with whatever guitar i like ) But that SHOULD be a good amp, but i don't have any idea i don't know anything about electric guitars or amplifiers xD

But if i set it up wrong, it might rape my ears one day, and i get tinitus or something like that ;S
Quote by MarcFlink
Well i don't have an amp yet.. Since i don't have an electric guitar yet... soooo....

Well, i have set my sights on a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (if it sounds right with whatever guitar i like ) But that SHOULD be a good amp, but i don't have any idea i don't know anything about electric guitars or amplifiers xD

But if i set it up wrong, it might rape my ears one day, and i get tinitus or something like that ;S

It's not going to suddenly destroy your ears, dude.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't use them when I play guitar, but I've never played guitar in a band. I played drums in a band and wore work earmuffs over earbuds for a click track, mostly so i could hear the track easier. Never worn them at concerts and probably never will. But when practicing in a small room with two other guitars, a bass and drums it's never a bad idea to have earplugs.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by BladeSlinger

But if it does rape my ears, i might get and STD..

Sound transmitted decease?..

Get it
You should always protect your hearing if you're playing over a drummer. The ordinary yellow foam ones are fine. I find that they do affect the sound a little, seems like the mids are a little harder to hear for me. Sometimes I'll back one out a little.
Quote by BladeSlinger

On a more serious note, what is it called when the amp or PA system suddenly goes mental and makes a really really load screachy sound? thats what im talking about.. That will ruin your ears.
Quote by MarcFlink
On a more serious note, what is it called when the amp or PA system suddenly goes mental and makes a really really load screachy sound? thats what im talking about.. That will ruin your ears.

It's called feedback. However, as long as you're not planning on cranking everything to 11 and resting your head against the speaker cone, whilst you play, it won't kill you
Quote by MarcFlink

Feedback, it means your sound guy sucks at setup or you are running way too much gain somewhere. There shouldn't be feedback unless you are inducing it, some really hollow electric guitars can naturally feedback at loud volumes because the open space inside can cause a feedback loop. And that's feedback 101!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by MarcFlink

Get it

****ing christ

I'm laughing at you btw
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by MarcFlink

Feedback, but if you're careful you wont get any of that. If you're playing in a full band at high volumes then it would be good to use earplugs. If you're practicing on your own in your bedroom then you shouldn't have your amp anywhere near loud enough to damage your ears.

I got double-ninja'd.
So nobody has suggestions as to what kind of earplugs you should use, if you would like to be sure that you don't damage your ears from feedback?
Quote by MarcFlink
So nobody has suggestions as to what kind of earplugs you should use, if you would like to be sure that you don't damage your ears from feedback?

dude they're earplugs

they're like 50cents, a few bucks for some higher quality reusable ones, tops.

there's no real discussion to be had, Just go buy some

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by MarcFlink

that doesn't really ever happen. if you believe you're going to be dealing with loud feedback just go buy some generic earplugs.

protip: high frequencies dont mess with your hearing
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 3, 2013,
Well, i happen to know, not just one but two guys who both got tinitus from feedback incidents.. And i was just asking if anyone knew a couple of earplugs that wouldn't take away any of the sound, just lower it.. I dont want earplugs that will ruin the sound, i just want i reduced..
Quote by MarcFlink
Well, i happen to know, not just one but two guys who both got tinitus from feedback incidents.. And i was just asking if anyone knew a couple of earplugs that wouldn't take away any of the sound, just lower it.. I dont want earplugs that will ruin the sound, i just want i reduced..

Get a really hot chick to cover your ears while you play

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
for practicing at home you really shouldntbe turning it up loud enough to need earplug
but for practice with the band or gigs or even when i go to a concert i wear them makes my ear

they should have some musician earplugs tta are reusable and made to not affect the sounds too much just lower the volume at your nearby guitar center or whatever music stores you have
they are all from 10-25 dollars

also an amp wont suddenly go crazy and rape your ears
if if malfunctions you might hear a squeal or it might feedback but unless you rplaying at high volume with lots of gain that wont likey happen and if it does you can just work on your muting or lower the volume on the guitar
Wear them at concerts. Dont be a tough guy and act cool and say they are for pussies. Save your hearing, be logical.
Whenever you set a band up, start using earplugs immediately. I didn't and well.. got my ears damaged during first two rehearsals and nowadays I can't listen to mp3 because my ears can't stand sound incoming directly to them. Haven't affected my hearing ability, though just my ears are VERY sensitive to sounds that other consider "well that's not even semi-loud".

Practising home shouldn't be a problem, but when you get into a band and get gigs etc. please, start using them
Yeah, man. First week with 100-w head I gave myself vertigo in my bedroom. Not a good second half of the week, but still a good week overall
I hate using earplugs, but found a pair that are decent and don't muddle everything up. Earasers earplugs, they're on Amazon (won't let me post a link)
Quote by MarcFlink

Get it

He might get hearing aids.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
OP, if you're practicing by yourself why would you crank your amp? Practice is practice and you control the levels

If you're serious about music and gigging buy some moulded earplugs. They set you back around $100 but they're worth every cent when you can hear everything the same just at 25dB less volume.

If you've got a drummer that knows what he's doing/has been around bands for a while he/she will probably know not to go all out during practices. Full bore is for gigs only usually. Still, wear plugs.

Please take care of your ears. Tinnitus is a bitch
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I use my noise-cancelling headphones for protection/monitoring. So much better than earplugs.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore