I'm doing my job over the summer as usual and I'm finally getting a decent guitar instead of all these $200-300 guitars. I'll be using this to play Rock and Metal mostly but I'm also getting this for my Jazz guitar class I'll be in next semester. So pretty much something with half decent cleans and decent distortion (Mainly from the amp, I know)

This is what I'm looking at.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-h-1001fm-electric-guitar">http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-h-1001fm-electric-guitar
I've always wanted a floyd rose but I don't feel like I need it. There are LTD models that are the same specs as this basically but with a floyd.

Are there any recommendations for better guitars? I like LTD's a lot but I really want to explore all my options before spending so much money. I'm only going new on this one. Pretty much all my guitars are used. I'm in the U.S. and I'm using a Blackstar HT-20 as my amp.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The link doesn't work.

In my experience, most jazz guitars don't have a whammy bar of any kind. The majority of the few have seen were Bigsbys- dive bombs are pretty rare in jazz.

They also tend to be semihollow or hollowbody- though some cats use solidbodies- and have pickups voiced for clean tones above all else.

IOW, not exactly the same kind of guitar used for metal. You might want to consider this a specialized instrument.

Check out the semihollow & hollowbody Artcores and Epiphones that get a lot of love on UG (and other sites), and also look at the Godins:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Godin+kingpin&src=Godin+kingpin
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 3, 2013,
For Jazz, the above is good.

I'll just add that something like a fender strat can sound decent in Jazz. I used a Robert Cray Signature (mexi strat) ($700-something) throughout my senior year of high school for Jazz Band. You could use one of those, and then replace one of the pickups with something hot so you can do your metal stuff. It's an idea.

EDIT: Just had to say, if you're spending a decent amount of money on a guitar, try out some other stuff besides LTD. They do a decent job, but the pickups usually kind of suck.

I found that Fenders with a Rosewood fingerboard play very similarly to an LTD, but have a much better sound

But funnily enough, I'm actually playing on a used Yamaha that usually goes for about $80 used, up to $200 new (RGS121) if you can find this, try it. It plays like butter castles for some reason...
Last edited by mjones1992 at May 3, 2013,
/Thread.

Close the thread NOW.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Getting those three things right now.

I really like LTD's for how they feel. This guitar is going to mainly be for Rock and Metal but I don't want to get a one trick pony. I don't have the option of getting two guitars unless I get a really cheap guitar for Jazz and another as my main guitar. This should work. It's got the 81/85 combo in it for pickups.

If you guys know of LTD's in the $700 to $900 range not being worth the money then that would be valuable information. That's why I'm getting second opinions. I really liked one I played that was about $500 a while back and my main guitar is a low level LTD. I'm not really interested in semi-hollows but I know that you can make a lot of guitars get a good Rock/Metal sound.

Would this justify me buying a telecaster? It's ok if you lie a little bit. >_>
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Getting those three things right now.

I really like LTD's for how they feel. This guitar is going to mainly be for Rock and Metal but I don't want to get a one trick pony. I don't have the option of getting two guitars unless I get a really cheap guitar for Jazz and another as my main guitar. This should work. It's got the 81/85 combo in it for pickups.

If you guys know of LTD's in the $700 to $900 range not being worth the money then that would be valuable information. That's why I'm getting second opinions. I really liked one I played that was about $500 a while back and my main guitar is a low level LTD. I'm not really interested in semi-hollows but I know that you can make a lot of guitars get a good Rock/Metal sound.

Would this justify me buying a telecaster? It's ok if you lie a little bit. >_>

My only worry about you picking up that LTD is the pickups. Active pickups have a tendency to be pretty bad on the clean side, especially EMGs. Although active pickups with the "push-pull" control are a nice IDEA (being able to switch between humbuckers and single-coil sounds), they're really not there yet with the sound IMO.

To me they sound KINDA like a humbucker and when pulled sound like a shitter humbucker. That's just my experience. Whatever works with your rig, I guess.
Quote by mjones1992
My only worry about you picking up that LTD is the pickups. Active pickups have a tendency to be pretty bad on the clean side, especially EMGs. Although active pickups with the "push-pull" control are a nice IDEA (being able to switch between humbuckers and single-coil sounds), they're really not there yet with the sound IMO.

To me they sound KINDA like a humbucker and when pulled sound like a shitter humbucker. That's just my experience. Whatever works with your rig, I guess.

I made a custom guitar (played terribly) with rail style humbuckers with a push/pull. I'd totally agree. It would be ok if you literally had access to one guitar and played a song that used humbuckers and single coils.

Ibanez has guitars that have the pickup config I want but the necks are a little thin. I was leaning toward the S series stuff but I hear bad things about Ibanex trems. I'm not even looking for a trem really.

I don't know what I'll be paid but I know I'm getting an extra week or two of work. I might be able to afford two guitars.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
...I don't wanna get a one trick pony...

...EMG 81/85...

The EMG 81/85 set is a one trick pony, and that pony is gain. Not all actives are bad clean, but the EMG 81/85 set are not all actives.

The way I'm reading this is that you need a Jazz guitar, but you want a metal guitar as well. I'd go with something with passive humbuckers, like a Les Paul or something, that sounds good clean, because that's what you really need. Just about every pickup does distortion well, it's the ones that do clean sounds well are the real prizes. Plus, I know of very few genres of metal that absolutely require active pickups, and the ones that do require them usually use them to disguise simple or even poor techniques.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Look at the Godins for sure, especially the new Montreal Premiere. It's available with a Bigsby if you must have one. Lots of people play jazz on Teles, quite successfully. To be honest, you can play jazz on almost anything, especially if you lean toward the fusion end of the genre. The only thing I have found is that you absolutely NEED clarity from your pickups when playing jazz chords. As a generalization, you will have the most success with somewhat lower output pickups, but you can always turn the volume down on your guitar. Go for clarity and a guitar you like, and your battle is half won.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by kangaxxter

The EMG 81/85 set is a one trick pony, and that pony is gain. Not all actives are bad clean, but the EMG 81/85 set are not all actives.

The way I'm reading this is that you need a Jazz guitar, but you want a metal guitar as well. I'd go with something with passive humbuckers, like a Les Paul or something, that sounds good clean, because that's what you really need. Just about every pickup does distortion well, it's the ones that do clean sounds well are the real prizes. Plus, I know of very few genres of metal that absolutely require active pickups, and the ones that do require them usually use them to disguise simple or even poor techniques.

It's for a class. I've never played Jazz in my life. I need to take it two semester to complete a music minor. The Rock/Metal is for my personal playing but it's pretty easy to coax a Rock sound out of most guitars. Jazz will most likely not what I'll be playing outside of these two semesters of lessons. But a versatile guitar is valuable in any situation.

I didn't know about the EMG's lack of versatility. I've yet to venture into active even though I've been playing like 8 years now.

I'm iffy on Schecter. I love their basses. I've had mixed experiences with the guitars.

I've heard Schecter, Fender, Gibson, and one or two others. All three are good brands. The Schecters tend to have floyds. Fender and Gibson have a good selection. I haven't had the chance to play much of either except a couple times but I didn't dislike either.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Some actives are quite good for cleans- they were invented for jazz, after all- but I really prefer passives.

FWIW, the cleanest passives I have ever personally experienced are Lace Alumitones. I have a hollowbody with a trio of them installed.

What's your budget?

If you really want to go with a single guitar, perhaps you could buy a decent quality used guitar- say, a Godin Velocity or Godin Freeway, a MiM Fender fat-Strat, an Ibby, an LTD, whatever- and swap out the neck pickup (favored by many jazzers) for something like a Lace Alumitone or other pickup with excellent cleans.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 3, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Some actives are quite good for cleans- they were invented for jazz, after all- but I really prefer passives.

FWIW, the cleanest passives I have ever personally experienced are Lace Alumitones. I have a hollowbody with a trio of them installed.

What's your budget?

If you really want to go with a single guitar, perhaps you could buy a decent quality used guitar- say, a Godin Velocity or Godin Freeway, a MiM Fender fat-Strat, an Ibby, an LTD, whatever- and swap out the neck pickup (favored by many jazzers) for something like a Lace Alumitone or other pickup with excellent cleans.

About $700-900
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ExDementia
Have you thought about trying out a Schecter? The necks are usually a bit thicker, and with the Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups in mine, it still does metal very nicely. Something to consider.

+1

I would look into their custom line. I think they have duncans with coil taps so they're pretty versatile and you'll still be able to play rock and metal with it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Tempest-Custom-Electric-Guitar-106380694-i1504127.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Solo-6-Custom-Electric-Guitar-584535-i1503895.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-Custom-Electric-Guitar-105956601-i1503880.gc

Of course, you can always go used and get a nice mia or mij guitar
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Korean Schecters are solid. I'd check them out, especially the used ones.
Quote by OliOsbourne
+1

I would look into their custom line. I think they have duncans with coil taps so they're pretty versatile and you'll still be able to play rock and metal with it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Tempest-Custom-Electric-Guitar-106380694-i1504127.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Solo-6-Custom-Electric-Guitar-584535-i1503895.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-Custom-Electric-Guitar-105956601-i1503880.gc

Of course, you can always go used and get a nice mia or mij guitar

Those look pretty nice.

Think this would work well?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh-electric-guitar

I'm almost wanting a HSS or HS setup now.

I want new but a good guitar is a good guitar. I'll start checking out used.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 3, 2013,
TS, try out some PRS SE's. I have the 2012 SE Cu24 (see sig) and through my Engl Gigmaster head, I can play, with the help of some pedals, fuzzy stoner-metal to jazz. Personally, it could depend on your amp as well. Anything with passives would probably work for you.

I feel like my PRS SE handles higher gain and cleans very well. I would probably go with something that has a thicker body (An LP instead of an Ibanez S), passives, dual humbuckers (or HSH I suppose), a stop-tail or vintage trem (something like a Strat trem), and possibly coil tapping as well. I myself have found that scale doesn't matter that much, per se, but you should find a scale thats comfortable. The 25" scale on my PRS SE is beautiful, while the 25.5" scale on my Tele makes me work a bit more when I play.

And again, all of that was imo.

EDITL My PRS SE: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at May 4, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger
About $700-900

A quick search of GC's website revealed 15 pages of used guitars between $700-800, many of which would be worth considering as-is, and might be worth doing a pickup swap spas I suggested.

By way of comparison, they had a used Godin Velocity in excellent condition for $500. Those were retailing for about $900 before they were discontinued.

Quote by AWACS
TS, try out some PRS SE's. I have the 2012 SE Cu24 (see sig) and through my Engl Gigmaster head, I can play, with the help of some pedals, fuzzy stoner-metal to jazz. Personally, it could depend on your amp as well. Anything with passives would probably work for you.

I feel like my PRS SE handles higher gain and cleans very well. I would probably go with something that has a thicker body (An LP instead of an Ibanez S), passives, dual humbuckers (or HSH I suppose), a stop-tail or vintage trem (something like a Strat trem), and possibly coil tapping as well. I myself have found that scale doesn't matter that much, per se, but you should find a scale thats comfortable. The 25" scale on my PRS SE is beautiful, while the 25.5" scale on my Tele makes me work a bit more when I play.

And again, all of that was imo.

EDITL My PRS SE: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029
If anything I need a smaller scale. I have small hands.

I've played some PRS and they sound great but the one I played felt a little weird. Might have been a one off thing. If I could find a nice HSH guitar with a thicker body (Ibanez S's are just so thin) and a neck I liked I'd be happy. I'm really looking at HSS strats at the moment. I never thought I'd really look at a strat since I'm a tele guy but it would work well.

dannyalcatraz: I'll definitely check out GC's website as well as look at some local stores. Used will give me a much bigger selection.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's other used retailers out there as well. If you have a Music-Go-Round near you, they're worth looking at, too, for instance.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 4, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There's other used retailers out there as well. If you have a Music-Go-Round near you, they're worth looking at, too, for instance.

I don't think I do but I'll look.

I'm looking through all the brands on GC. I'm really gravitating toward three pickup guitars. I can always put a rail in the bridge if I need a heavier sound.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 4, 2013,
When you look, do look below your price range as well- some brands really don't hold their resale value, so they can be a real bargain in the secondhand market. That Velocity was a good example of a $900 guitar fallen to half price. I'm sure there are others.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
When you look, do look below your price range as well- some brands really don't hold their resale value, so they can be a real bargain in the secondhand market. That Velocity was a good example of a $900 guitar fallen to half price. I'm sure there are others.

I just started doing that. I'll be cruising Craigslist as well. I have a little time to choose and test stuff out. I'm not especially knowledgeable about pickups and what's needed for certain sounds so I'm getting opinions on what would help. I also need to try out some brands that I haven't played in a few years. HSS strats are starting to look pretty good but I can't remember how they feel to me.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
In non-boutique used HSS guitars, I would look at Fender, Godin (including their Richmonds, if you like retro), G&L, and Fret-Kings. Lots of good quality options in those brands.

For HAS, I'd probably start with Ibbys and the other shredder-centric brands. Godin also has a couple of good ones, like the xtSA.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 5, 2013,
The Fenders are looking good. I keep finding ones in the right price range with a floyd. It wouldn't be bad but I'd prefer to not mess with them. Definitely leaning toward a HSS Fender though. Have to try one out soon. I'm looking at the Lone Star and American special. If I can find one of them used that'd be great. Lone Star is affordable new. American Special is right around my line.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You could also consider a used carvin since they have nice build quality and they don't hold their prices well
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I wouldn't mind a Carver at all if it had the right stuff. I've heard many good things about them. I them occasionally on Craigslist.

Just found an LTD H-1000 on Craigslist for $500 with a JB and '59 in it. That would leave me with enough money to buy a decent guitar for cleans.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 5, 2013,
Or, again, just put a cleaner pickup in the neck.

Don't buy a guitar, buy a Bassman. Cheaper, and you'll get a Jazz tone from all the guitars you already own just fine.

But this is coming from me, who thinks the Bassman and Plexi were the greatest amps ever developed.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Don't buy a guitar, buy a Bassman. Cheaper, and you'll get a Jazz tone from all the guitars you already own just fine.

But this is coming from me, who thinks the Bassman and Plexi were the greatest amps ever developed.

I don't think I'll bring my amp to lessons every time. They'll probably let me use one there.

And I have a decent tube amp now. I've been playing cheap guitars for years and want something nicer.

There's a good chance that I'll replace a pickup or two. What are some decent choices? From my basic knowledge it seems like DiMarzio has a little more clarity in their pickups. I might put a Duncan in the bridge and a DiMarzio in the neck of whatever I get.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 5, 2013,

/thread.

Fantastic guitars for the money, pretty versatile too with a good set of pickups. Piezos in the newer models give a sweet tone if you use em right.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

/thread.

Fantastic guitars for the money, pretty versatile too with a good set of pickups. Piezos in the newer models give a sweet tone if you use em right.

Looks great!

Now, what is it?

Quote by valennic

/thread.

My step dad literally has that guitar. He has that and a MiM start that have hung on his wall for years collecting dust. He has hand problems so he can't play. I could probably get it but I'm not really a fan of my step dad. Nice guy but, you know, step parents.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Looks great!

Now, what is it?

Knew I forgot something

Schecter C-1 EA.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50