It got time for a new amp for me, and with recording my band's EP in my own home set-up, a good amp was much needed. I started by getting a used Marshall 1936 2x12 cab as it had the speakers seemed to have the traits that were desirable to me.

After a few months of testing all of the Peavey 6505 series heads, Egnaters, Marshalls, Blackstar.. You name it, I had tried them all and felt most comfortable playing the 6505+. But after countless YouTube videos I bought myself this:

This set me back quite a bit, despite getting student discount from what seems the only shop that would do it in the UK. I had never tried one of these as nowhere had one in stock, but I was sure it'd be the perfect amp.

With what spare change I had over, I went over to eBay and got myself some old (not that old) Boss pedals.

Here it all is:

And the whole pedalboard:

This amp is absolutely amazing. It's my first valve. The cleans are waaaay cleaner than the 6505 series from what I can hear. I can plug in my guitar with X2Ns are really dirty this clean channel up, then just lower the volume and retain the brilliant cleans.

Channel 2 definitely has that infamous volume boost when compared to channel 1. With the gain all the way up I can easily get into the gain territory I'm after. Though I haven't really found a true purpose for channel 2 due to the volume boost and the fact I just turn the gain down on channel 3.

Talking of Channel 3.. It has way more gain on tap than I think I'd ever need, yet even with it cranked all the way it retains clarity and tightness, even if it does just compress after 7/10

The tightness is what I love about this amp. And that the high end doesn't fizz up like I found in the 6505+. I was prepared to be buying an overdrive pedal to boost the front end of the amp but I really don't need one. My 10 band EQ serves almost no purpose now, as I used to use it to get a less crap tone from the Bandit. However, with the lack of solo boost, that's become the EQs purpose.

Onto the pedals. I'd been dying for a Phaser/Flanger for a while, and for some reason felt it necessary to get both. I'd always thought they were nearly the same effect but these two honestly sound so different in all their analogue goodness. Can really get some proper jet plane sounds going with the Flanger and all sorts of funky goodness with the Phaser in Mode II.

My only issues would be the fact the EVH came with a European kettle lead which is of no use to my in the UK haha, and that I need some sort of special adaptor to power the Flanger. For now it's on batteries. I'll probably need to get a proper power supply as I'd be running 4 sockets with the amp and all the pedals without one. Any recommendations on one that isn't going to give me any background humming?

Cheers!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I've got a PH-2. Trying to sell it since I have a Whetstone now. Great analog phaser though!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nice scores!!! HNAD!!!
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Cheers guys, I'd definitely recommend this amp. I cannot find a bad tone out of it. Seriously. Any way you set the amp up, a genre of music will be able to make use of it. It's early stages yet but the only thing I ever see myself upgrading it to would be it's 100 watt big brother
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
HNGD!!

I havent tried the 50w, but I've done some recording though its 100w big bro

I actuallly blended my JCA50H with it, and the result was a pure sexy hardrock tone!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Great choice! And you can use the MXR EQ as a gain boost/mid bump.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Very nice, how you dealing with the volume jump between the 1st and 2nd channel?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Sweet !

One of the users here used a MIDI controller and that fixed his volume jump concern.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I love these amps, I'm really looking into one for myself but I'm seriously concerned with the amount of headroom the 50w can provide on the clean channel. Are you going to/have you used it in a band situation yet?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120

That amp looks really nice
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by dkunick
Great choice! And you can use the MXR EQ as a gain boost/mid bump.

Yeah, the MXR's turned into a mid boost for solos. Which is actually great as I can really hear how mids affect your lead playing with a valve amp now haha.
Quote by SimplyBen
Very nice, how you dealing with the volume jump between the 1st and 2nd channel?

It's the only thing I don't like about this amp. For what I need in terms of playing and changing channels, one and three give me all the tones I need. Channel two would surely come in handy for studio and home playing where I can sit and set the volume and gain properly.
Quote by R45VT
One of the users here used a MIDI controller and that fixed his volume jump concern.

Care to elaborate if you can remember? That'd be rather helpful, as would learning how to set up the MIDI on this amp. I've spent a few hours researching how they work and how you plug them in but had no luck
Quote by l3p4rd
I love these amps, I'm really looking into one for myself but I'm seriously concerned with the amount of headroom the 50w can provide on the clean channel. Are you going to/have you used it in a band situation yet?

I will be using it very loud yes. And I've turned it way up in my home, as I'm in a basement with mild sound proofing haha. I'd personally say it's just about enough. You get a little bit of break up with volume maxed out and using the gain as volume control, but it's kind of a sweet spot for me.
You'd honestly have to try that for yourself as I'm not sure what your amp is capable of at the volumes you're hearing.
I love my EVH 50w! Congratz!!...if you set the gain halfway up on channel 1/2 and use you guitars volume knob to clean things up that's about the most balanced I've found. The louder it gets the less you notice the volume drop. Xotic effects EP booster sounds amazing with the 5150III!
Yeah I tried setting it up earlier so Channel 2 was my main drive channel and Channel 3 would be an overly saturated lead channel. Having the gain maxed out on channel one/two gives me enough drive for what I need but having to roll my volume back for cleans on channel one is a bit too impractical for me, especially when I'm using my 10-band EQ as a solo boost now.
Rolling down the volume is pretty easy??
HNAD!

How's the low end on the mini?

I got one last week, should be here by Thursday.
Nice setup. What's that pedal bottom center that you can't see from the glare?
Dat Brown Sound lucky bastard, HNSD
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at May 6, 2013,
I know nothing about those amps but surely the manual explains how to map program change info to amp channel? That's what your MIDI controller will be sending when you select a patch. It sends a program change packet, you then just have to set up what that particular piece of data means to the amp.
RTFM.

HNGD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A