I know this is kind of an unpopular guitar, but I really wanted a 7 string. But I wanted something cheap but still decent quality. I've been looking and bidding on eBay, but I lost out on an RG7321 I really wanted. Then I came across the AX7221. I knew next to nothing about them at first, but I'm an Ibanez fan so I didn't think I could go wrong with that. Originally it listed at $175, then it got relisted to $150 with a make an offer option. I low-balled (of course) at $100, then I got a counter offer for $125, which is what I really wanted it for, so I took it for that + the $50 shipping; $175 total.

I just got it yesterday and spent last night cleaning it up. I don't think the thing has been used in years. The bridge was especially dirty and it looks like I need to replace the action screws (or whatever you might call them). It does have a a couple of chips in it. Mainly one at the top of the headstock and one on the back of the body. They're fairly minor issues to me, personally. I'll post an album with the pics later on in the post.

Here it is all cleaned up, though!

After I cleaned it up I replaced the strings with a set of (6) Fender 250's my dad had lying around. I'm more of a fan of K3-coated DR strings though (I have a set of Black Beauties on my RG120).

The guitar is a little lighter than I expected, which makes it more comfortable for me to use. The neck isn't bad either. It's not as thin as my RG (both fret width and neck girth), but it's quite comfortable for playing 6-string variant. I don't have a low B on so when the time comes I'll have to work on getting more comfortable with the wider frets.

The pickups must be stock. It doesn't sound bad, just not great. I have no problem with the thought of replacing them, though. I like DiMarzios, but I'm taking any suggestions on new pickups to install.

Full album, here. The first pic is of when I first got it and it had all the old strings on it. And the last pic is of it sharing the stand with my RG120. You can tell they're roughly about the same length in top to bottom. But the neck on the AX7221 is definitely shorter. I personally have no gripes with that as I don't think I'll need quite the extended range on this guitar.

Really, what I wanted in the guitar was a low-cost, reasonable quality 7 string that can be used for 6 string until I'm more comfortable and feel like adding the low B on. I believe I did just that with purchasing this guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

HNGD!.
Do not ever get rid of it man, I traded mine off and I regret it 100% I even regret it more than when I got rid of my Schecter 006 Elite or my SA220FM
Of course not, I don't have any desire to lose this one. I dunno if you ever saw it but I actually PMed you right when I got it. I know you were a big fan of yours so I thought it might make you happy to know that I like mine already also.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Thank you.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Whenever I get into one of those moods where I really want a seven string, I start looking for these. So congrats on getting one!

I have an unrelated question, though. Can you explain the five-string setup on your RG120? Do you just have the lowest five strings, and you leave off what would be the high E in standard? What made you do that? I'm just curious.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Thanks! I just had a buddy of mine with like 35-40 years guitar playing experience (and also big metal-head) take a look at it last night. He was never big on the thought of getting a 7 string before because of wider necks but he was surprised at how nice the action was and how easy it was to play. That coming from someone like him made me even better about my purchase.

I'm sure this might sound silly to a lot of players here: I don't know how to explain what came over me with my 5 string setup. The only thing I can say is I see myself playing a lot of mid-to-low range rhythmic stuff with and felt the high e was kind of unnecessary. In a way I find it makes things simpler but unique. I like to experiment with different sounds so I kind of was just putzing around with different tunings and found the drop A# (A#-F-A#-D#-G) a good mix of low-end that I like and could actually tune the guitar to while not seemingly giving up too much versatility.

But it's all done on a guitar that I found for really cheap brand new and I don't take it overly serious because of the tremolo on it. The strings are DR Black Beauties. The string gauges I think are (heaviest first): 52(to hold the A#)-36-26-17-13. I got it set up with no fret buzz also. Basically I just try to come up with really grindy industrial-style riffs on it, nothing fancy. Think early 90's NIN style stuff.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Hm. That's interesting. But how on earth do you keep that 52 from turning into cooked spaghetti in Drop A#?

When I was exploring lower tunings, I used a GHS Boomers 10-70 set for Drop B down to Drop A. Granted, that was before I discovered that I actually preferred less tension, but still. Now I'm thinking a 10-60 set would be more up my alley for those tunings, and that may even provide too much tension. I don't know, but I've totally distressed, so...

Seriously, though. What's the tension/playability like with the 52 in Drop A#?
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
I don't know about you, but for one thing I have the saddle on the bridge pulled all the way back. See below:

With it all the way back, A# was the lowest I could get with proper intonation still. I mean, I could do Drop A even still on my guitar, but I would always come up sharp at octave, so I settled on A# instead. And I have my action raised a decent amount to combat fret buzz. This seemed to keep the tension up enough on my guitar. It brings the length from the nut on the headtstock to the screw on top of the bridge saddle for that string to 26" if that helps give you a better idea.

Also, I don't hammer so hard on my strings that they start knocking into each other either. I do a lot of short short riffs or single notes. I use a 1.0mm pick but I play with slightly more delicacy on the RG. I hope that helps somehow.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab