Janick Gers of Iron Maiden use a technique where he hammer on and pull off between two notes and meanwhile lets his other hand lightly touch the strings as he moves it down towards the neck - thus hitting stray overtones and creating a cool effect.

I have done the same thing for years, but I've never had a name for it.

Link to the video:


Anyone know if there is a specific name for the technique? Just curious.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Steve Vai does it too from time to time. Of course he has a habit of using his tongue instead of his hand.
I'm an

I'm Good at Math