Page 1 of 2
Hey I am new here, and I am also new to singing. I am 15 years old and not 100% tone deaf but there is just something about my voice that just doesn't sound right. Any help is greatly appreciated!! The song I am singing is "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground. Also I recorded this in one take so you can say about my guitar playing (I play much better not singing, and I know I messed up a bit) but I am really just looking for singing help. I did this in just one take. Thanks!!

picosong.com /FfVq/
It is this but take out the space sorry it is a forbidden link
try to concentrate on hitting the notes a little bit faster. you end up flat for a lot of them and you're like so close to actually hitting it, you just need it a little bit higher.

also you're a little bit pitchy in your lower register.

edit:also do crack cocaine
Quote by VelvetBananas
And this will make me sing better or just think I'm singing better? =P

the chemicals burn the back of your throat and increases your range.
you're a stone fox
Quote by VelvetBananas
On a scale of 1-10 what would you guys rate me?

pcp/10
you're a stone fox
I think you'll find that by improving your singing you will begin to see a notable improvement in your singing. But be patient, as it will no doubt be a long process.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I think you'll find that by improving your singing you will begin to see a notable improvement in your singing. But be patient, as it will no doubt be a long process.

Yes but how would I go about that?
You could start by asking the subforum dedicated to singing.

That was both my snarky and serious response.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Consult a vocal coach to determine what improvements you need to improve upon before seeing any improvement in your singing.

I dont have that kind of money. I am in choir at my school right now. What do you think needs improvement from what you heard of the recording? (If you listened to it)
Quote by eGraham
You could start by asking the subforum dedicated to singing.

That was both my snarky and serious response.

How do I move a thread? Again I'm a noob at this
Quote by VelvetBananas

become a mod
Quote by VelvetBananas
Ok I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum it took me forever to figure this out I am sorry

s'all good, man. i'm sure a mod will move it for you.
you're a stone fox
Quote by VelvetBananas
I dont have that kind of money. I am in choir at my school right now. What do you think needs improvement from what you heard of the recording? (If you listened to it)

Well if you're only aspiring to sing as well as an untalented and untrained drummer you probably don't need a vocal coach anyway.
Quote by VelvetBananas

A mod could move it for you. What I would do in the meantime is head over to the singing forum and check out their stickied threads. I think you get a PM if your thread is moved, so you will know.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Well if you're only aspiring to sing as well as an untalented and untrained drummer you probably don't need a vocal coach anyway.

FOR NOW I want to be able to sing well enough that I can get by without people snickering
Quote by VelvetBananas
I just want to be good enough to get by... That's the American way!

I'm afraid you'll have to go to Ultimate-America.com, TS.

Nothing but yurafags here.
I've noticed in the past year since I started smoking again, I've lost no range whatsoever to my voice, yet I can actually sing a couple notes lower than I could before. On a good day, I can actually match the low string on my friend's guitar in C standard.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
So crack, PCP and smoking, got it!! I'm pretty self-conscious about my tone more than anything else. I don't care 100% about hitting the right notes (I'm a jazz player) So mainly on tone, what could you guys suggest?
Quote by VelvetBananas
So crack, PCP and smoking, got it!! I'm pretty self-conscious about my tone more than anything else. I don't care 100% about hitting the right notes (I'm a jazz player) So mainly on tone, what could you guys suggest?

Honestly you should be giving far more ****s if you're a jazz player.
Quote by Spaztikko
Honestly you should be giving far more ****s if you're a jazz player.

This. Jazz players have to always know all of the right notes so that they can avoid them like the plague.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
This. Jazz players have to always know all of the right notes so that they can avoid them like the plague.

I do worry about this on guitar, guitar is thing. Singing isn't my main thing, just my main concern right now.
Quote by VelvetBananas
I do worry about this on guitar, guitar is thing. Singing isn't my main thing, just my main concern right now.

M8 using your ear isn't a non transferable skill.

Take Chet Baker: http://youtu.be/IaUctZ9jdb0

Mmkay? Stop being a knob because pitch is so much more important.
Smoking helps me, and drinking room temperature water, warmups etc. simple shit really

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
After listening to that clip....

Yeah, you know what? Pointers/tips won't help you at all. Just straight up get a vocal coach if you want to be able to be taken seriously as a singer. That's quite possibly the best option you've got

If you can't afford a vocal coach, a cheap shortcut is Zen of Screaming. It's metal-oriented, but despite the title the first DVD in the series actually comprehensively teaches more about actual singing instead of harsh vox, and can definitely help you become a better vocalist.

There's also the whole Singing Success series on YT which will help you quite a bit, but not as much as a coach would.
practice, learn how to use the right technique, use the right technique, warm up your voice, sing scales to improve your range, get a vocal/singing teacher
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Last edited by luvs2gro at May 4, 2013,
Singing more...

aka practice...

aka sing along with the radio or something
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Sacrifice a goat.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I've heard deep-throating the cock can help loosen up the larynx, and bring proper breath from the diaphragm. You have to swallow though.
Simply doing it more actually helps. I've gone from a point where I was too scared to sing backup-vocals in a band to where I'm now actually the frontman/singer in a band, and people don't laugh at me or run away at gigs, so that's alright.

Sing whenever you can, then sing even more. Also record yourself singing more often; If you find out you're always a bit sharp, you know what your problem is. Ofcourse, to learn all the proper techniques and to be more efficient you can look for a vocal coach. That has never been in my pricerange though, so this worked for me. Good luck!

Oh. And DIAPHRAGM. sing from it.

P.S.:
The vocal recording did not sound great, you know that already. It IS a great song, but also a bit 'odd' in the way the vocals sounded originally; Try to start off with songs that you know are within your range, and are not too odd or difficult to sing; Simple melodies that overlap the music in a simple way.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Last edited by Kylianvb at May 4, 2013,
Quote by Kylianvb
Simply doing it more actually helps. I've gone from a point where I was too scared to sing backup-vocals in a band to where I'm now actually the frontman/singer in a band, and people don't laugh at me or run away at gigs, so that's alright.

Sing whenever you can, then sing even more. Also record yourself singing more often; If you find out you're always a bit sharp, you know what your problem is. Ofcourse, to learn all the proper techniques and to be more efficient you can look for a vocal coach. That has never been in my pricerange though, so this worked for me. Good luck!

Oh. And DIAPHRAGM. sing from it.

P.S.:
The vocal recording did not sound great, you know that already. It IS a great song, but also a bit 'odd' in the way the vocals sounded originally; Try to start off with songs that you know are within your range, and are not too odd or difficult to sing; Simple melodies that overlap the music in a simple way.

^ +1
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Page 1 of 2