All right. I got this late 50's, early 60's Silvertone Archtop guitar a few weeks ago, and it has been restored to the best of my budget. I've put in a new bridge and pickguard, so it's good. Pretty legit if I do say so myself. Now my intention with this guitar, is to actually be able to gig with it. The music I play, well let's just say the acoustic setup isn't gonna cut it.

I am very aware of floating pickguards and the dearmond monkey-on-a-stick pickup, but that's nowhere near attainable, and frankly unrealistic of me to even think of getting my hands on electronics like that.

So here are my options:
1. Make a custom floating pick guard of my own
or
2. Cut the foreplay and actually cut into the guitar and just electrify it.

In other words, is the guitar completely worthless because of the replaced parts, thus giving me more incentive to desecrate the body? And if I shouldn't do that, what would be the correct pickups to go through with the custom floating pickup job.
Also forgot to mention. I would love to add both neck and bridge pickups.
Attachments:
IMG_20130503_211113.jpg
Quote by sgutz92
That looks actually possible
Any ideas on Bridge though?

You would have to mod the body to get a bridge PU to work right, but it is totally doable if you want one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd assume you're using that guitar for jazz and blues, then a neck pickup should be all you really need. Keep those nice cleans, great clarity, no ear-piercing highs.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
What kind of music do you play? I don't know how those jazz neck pickups sound, but perhaps you can just use an EQ pedal and make it sound more like a bridge pickup.
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/7/6/1

Just a thought. Especially considering EMGs were in fact originally designed as jazz pickups.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Blues and jazz mostly. But i'm in a garage rock band, so we're kind of looking for that white stripes balls out sound in a way, but I still want versatility with the guitar.
Last edited by sgutz92 at May 3, 2013,
I know this is probably a stupid question, but screw it. What about getting a surface mounted bridge pickup and just slapping it on with velcro?
....do you understand at all how pickups work?
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Quote by sgutz92
I know this is probably a stupid question, but screw it. What about getting a surface mounted bridge pickup and just slapping it on with velcro?

No that wont work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Novel idea, but no. So many flaws in it Guitars like that aren't meant to have bridge pickups.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Sure man. Let us know if you need anything else. I got some great hook-ups on that dank velcro
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

I also found this(though a bit pricey): http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_archtop/Benedetto_Suspended_Jazz_Pickup.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=6156&tab=Details

And here's a very discrete way to add some volume and tone controls: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Schatten_Thumbwheel_Controls.html

For an output jack, you might try to figure out some way to use an acoustic endpin jack.
Quote by sgutz92
I'm trying to cut corners here man. lol
Why would you cut the corners and put the pick up there? How would that work? Shouldn't it be under the strings somewhere?

I'd be hesitant to cut into the body and would make that my last resort. It looks good even if the parts are aftermarket. I mean it looks original to me not having seen an original guitar or photograph.