This summer is going to be full of road trips and I'm headed off to college, so I have been looking at some mini amps.

I have heard how great the pignose mini amp can sound and was wondering what others sound good/ unique as well. If I'm going to get a mini amp, might as well have a use.
How small amp do you want? You could get some of those little tube amps, such as marshall class 5 or orange tiny terror combo or something like that.
Quote by JackovSlayer
How small amp do you want? You could get some of those little tube amps, such as marshall class 5 or orange tiny terror combo or something like that.

I'm thinking something around the size of a microwave at biggest. I don't want to spend a lot and I'm looking at something a little durable.

An example would be the ZT lunchbox.
my old fender champ is smaller than a microwave, but it's not going to do death metal.

what kind of music do you want to play/record?
Quote by gregs1020
my old fender champ is smaller than a microwave, but it's not going to do death metal.

what kind of music do you want to play/record?

I'm going for clean sounds mostly for jazz and some overdrive for blues and progressive rock. I like the Pignose 7-100 for its cleans and am just looking at some other options, especially fore something with a unique grit or sound like the 7-100.

I kinda want to stick with solid state just for durability and reliability.
Fender Mustang II
Vox VT30
Roland Cube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I always thought the Roland Cubes sounded awesome for being a modeller.

Or one of the newer 15W Vypyrs?
I'm not about to drop $500 on that zvex, I found a builder who custom makes similar mini heads for $150. I want something that has speakers and can stand on its own without a cab.
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I'm not about to drop $500 on that zvex, I found a builder who custom makes similar mini heads for $150. I want something that has speakers and can stand on its own without a cab.

It was more about the novelty of posting it rather than a serious suggestion!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Ibanez TSA15 combo. The notion that you have to go with solid state amps if you want durability and reliability is both widespread and incredibly wrong.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Ibanez TSA15 combo. The notion that you have to go with solid state amps if you want durability and reliability is both widespread and incredibly wrong.

I'm just speaking from what I've seen, I've seen and had many more tube amps go out than solid state amps (at least moderately priced ones). I know there are plenty of reliable tube amps out there but I feel like many more shoddy and unreliable tube amps are put out than solid states.

For a travel amp I'm really only looking to spend below $200 new or used. I'm just looking for something that I could also use for recording because it has a unique sound like the 7-100. I really dig some of that natural solid state drive and just want to hear some more 'flavors' available in travel size.
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at May 4, 2013,
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I'm just speaking from what I've seen, I've seen and had many more tube amps go out than solid state amps (at least moderately priced ones). I know there are plenty of reliable tube amps out there but I feel like many more shoddy and unreliable tube amps are put out than solid states.

For a travel amp I'm really only looking to spend below $200 new or used. I'm just looking for something that I could also use for recording because it has a unique sound like the 7-100. I really dig some of that natural solid state drive and just want to hear some more 'flavors' available in travel size.

Sorry if that has been your experience, but that is simply not true at all. There are good and bad amps from both camps, but as a whole you'll find many more piss-poor solid state amps. It might have helped to start out with a budget. What do you mean by natural solid state drive? Almost any solid state amp I can think of with overdrive is meant to model the response of a tube amp.

I guess just get a Roland Cube and be done with it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The blackstar HT-1 combo is a decent option.
It comes with an 8" speaker, and the whole thing is just slightly bigger than that.

(and before someone else jumps in to point it out, it's not ALL valve).
Quote by souperman08
What do you mean by natural solid state drive? Almost any solid state amp I can think of with overdrive is meant to model the response of a tube amp.

I'm talking about the kind of drive you get from small old transistor radios converted to amps when cranked, kind of a brown crunch that almost sounds similar to a bad speaker, the sound you get from a punchy amp with germanium components.

I'm just looking for something solidstate and unique to mix it up a little bit so it serves more purpose than just a practice amp.

That being said I actually do love the sound of some of the cubes and although some people might cringe crate had some really nice clean and punchy amps but I just want a little something extra and unique. I'm just building a laundry list of amps to try out really.

P.S. I don't necessarily mean overdrive but gain/ clipping
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at May 5, 2013,
Maybe the Orange Micro Terror and the ppc108 or 112 cab
Baron Snott Watt if you can swing it. They are incredible, very dynamic.
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I'm talking about the kind of drive you get from small old transistor radios converted to amps when cranked, kind of a brown crunch that almost sounds similar to a bad speaker, the sound you get from a punchy amp with germanium components.

I'm just looking for something solidstate and unique to mix it up a little bit so it serves more purpose than just a practice amp.

That being said I actually do love the sound of some of the cubes and although some people might cringe crate had some really nice clean and punchy amps but I just want a little something extra and unique. I'm just building a laundry list of amps to try out really.

P.S. I don't necessarily mean overdrive but gain/ clipping

Honestly if that's what you want, have you considered looking into a low gain fuzz pedal?
Quote by souperman08
Honestly if that's what you want, have you considered looking into a low gain fuzz pedal?

Yes, but I need a travel amp the most and I know a lot of artist used smaller/ (sometimes cheaper and considered crappy) amps to record for interesting sound. So I thought might as well.