I'm considering a few pickups, but having a hard time choosing. The pickup will be just for metal, no clean or split tones. I like Deathcore, Death Metal, Metalcore... That sort of stuff, prefer not to name bands because i wanna go for my own sound, not someone else's. I use 12-56 strings and tune in C standard.
The pickup will be for an all-mahogany guitar, only bridge pickup, neck through, 25.5" scale, ebony fretboard, gotoh floyd rose. This gets me confused, wich has a bigger impact: all-mahogany or floyd rose and ebony, would it bright, warm or neutral?
Being an only bridge pickup guitar it should be able to do rhythm and lead.

My dream EQ is mids first, then bass and treble last (mids>bass>treble). I like a dark/warm sound, strong midrange, tight bass and a melow high-end (think suicide silence's "wake up" solo). Passives only, just a matter of personal taste. Don't want a bassy pickup, (mids>bass is important). Also I'm not a big fan of ceramic high-end wich limits me to switching it for an alnico 8.
I'm considering:
-Seymour Duncan PATB-2 (with Alnico 8), I only know of one guy who did it but he seemed pretty happy with it.
-Dimarzio Breed (with Alnico 8), a little more tested, seems to tighten up the bottom end and compress it a bit (because of extra output?), so just more metal.
-Dimarzio Super 3 (with Alnico 8), never even heard of it, complete shot in the dark.
-(Your sugestion?)

Final Notes:
-According to seymour duncan the patb-2 has more treble than mids or lows, and if accurate, would be annoying, also it may not have enough mids for me (I read it has a huge low-end and don't want it to drown the mids), but still it is duncan's only dark pickup (the invader being the exception wich is way too dark).
-The breed might be too tame, not having enough "mean" attitude for me, even though the alnico 8 should fix it .
-The super 3 might be too dark, muddy, or just too much/only mids.
-(That was long), ideas?
Lundgren M6. The guys from Meshuggah use Lundgren's M8 pickups in their guitars.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Duncan Distortion, no question. Thing works excellently in mahogany. It's not super bright - kinda like a tighter JB without the awful upper mid spike.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a super 3 in one of my RG550s and it is a pretty middy pickup. Not as much as you might think, though. I'm not sure if you would want it for your kind of music but I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by oneblackened
Duncan Distortion, no question. Thing works excellently in mahogany. It's not super bright - kinda like a tighter JB without the awful upper mid spike.

On my books that's a bright pickup, and with a lot of ceramic presence. To me most duncans seem to be bright or with pronounced treble (looking for mids>bass>treble). That's why I only considered the patb-2, I did my research
Quote by ryan_nadon
I have a super 3 in one of my RG550s and it is a pretty middy pickup. Not as much as you might think, though. I'm not sure if you would want it for your kind of music but I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Not quite sure, but isn't the RG basswood/maple? I'm afraid mahogany might enhance the mids even further, making it too much. How would you describe the pickup's EQ in the RG?
Quote by lmc5b

The pickup will be for an all-mahogany guitar, only bridge pickup, neck through, 25.5" scale, ebony fretboard, gotoh floyd rose. This gets me confused, wich has a bigger impact: all-mahogany or floyd rose and ebony, would it bright, warm or neutral?

The guitar is neck-through, so the most important factors are the neck and body centre wood and the bridge. The fretboard wood and body sides/'wings' are almost (not totally) irrelevant. If the guitar has a mahogany neck & body then the tone will be quite balanced, though a bit brighter in the neck position than if it were a more common set neck all-mahogany guitar. The Floyd makes the bridge pickup brighter, thinner and generally your overall tone is a bit thinner with less low-end and sustain.

Since your guitar is a single pickup guitar, though, things get smoothed out a little. You've got some extra wood in there and less magnetic pull on the strings. Overall I would expect your guitar to be fairly balanced, perhaps leaning just slightly towards warm. Whether the bridge is recessed ('floating') or not is a very important factor which you haven't listed. If it is then I would assume the guitar is much brighter-sounding.

Being an only bridge pickup guitar it should be able to do rhythm and lead.
That's something dictated by your amp and pedals, not the guitar and certainly not the pickups.

Also I'm not a big fan of ceramic high-end wich limits me to switching it for an alnico 8.
Ceramic and alnico 8 really have the same sort of response to the plain strings. It's the wound strings where the A8 sounds a little softer. If you've found high-output ceramic pickups to sound harsh in the past, it's very likely they were either wound with mismatched coils or had hex, bar or only stud pole pieces, which do give a much brighter sound to the plain strings (a consistent problem I have with DiMarzio pickups, since very few of their pickups don't have one or more of these features). I would suggest that whatever pickup it is you buy—ceramic or not—you try it first with the stock magnet before blindly switching in an A8.

but still it is duncan's only dark pickup (the invader being the exception wich is way too dark).
None of the Parallel Axis pickups can be described as anything even remotely close to "dark". Also, SD make lots of actually "dark"-sounding pickups. And if the Invader is too dark for you then so will be every other pickup mentioned so far.

It sounds to me like the thing you want is a SD Duncan Distortion with an A4 or A8 swapped in, or a DM Super Distortion. An SD Alternative 8 with the magnet swapped to an A4 could also work well for you. All three are moderately hot winds—if you go for something super-hot then the bass will completely overtake the mids—and they all have smoother plain strings than most high-output pickups, at least with the stock magnets. You already have some understanding of what an A8 will do; swapping to an A4 will take it another step further.

Also, it sounds like you're just going on SD and DM's websites, looking at the EQ graphs they give you and basing your judgement on that. Don't. How a manufacturer lists a pickups' EQ and how it actually sounds in your guitar are two totally different things. The only useful information you can get from their websites is the type of magnet in each pickup and the resonant peaks. Everything else on there is meaningless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by lmc5b
Nice, the extreme seems just right. However, I'm located in Portugal (Europe), would it still be possible to get them?

Should be- they're an Asian company, as I recall. I'm having a VR-Extme and some OPUS S-1s put in custom, and we had to order them over the Internet. And if you look at their website, you'll see the companies that use them are all over the world.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by lmc5b
On my books that's a bright pickup, and with a lot of ceramic presence. To me most duncans seem to be bright or with pronounced treble (looking for mids>bass>treble). That's why I only considered the patb-2, I did my research

Believe me, it's not super bright.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble
The guitar is neck-through, so the most important factors are the neck and body centre wood and the bridge. The fretboard wood and body sides/'wings' are almost (not totally) irrelevant. If the guitar has a mahogany neck & body then the tone will be quite balanced, though a bit brighter in the neck position than if it were a more common set neck all-mahogany guitar. The Floyd makes the bridge pickup brighter, thinner and generally your overall tone is a bit thinner with less low-end and sustain.

Since your guitar is a single pickup guitar, though, things get smoothed out a little. You've got some extra wood in there and less magnetic pull on the strings. Overall I would expect your guitar to be fairly balanced, perhaps leaning just slightly towards warm.

Thanks for that, I really had no idea on that one.

Quote by MrFlibble
Ceramic and alnico 8 really have the same sort of response to the plain strings. It's the wound strings where the A8 sounds a little softer. If you've found high-output ceramic pickups to sound harsh in the past, it's very likely they were either wound with mismatched coils or had hex, bar or only stud pole pieces, which do give a much brighter sound to the plain strings (a consistent problem I have with DiMarzio pickups, since very few of their pickups don't have one or more of these features). I would suggest that whatever pickup it is you buy—ceramic or not—you try it first with the stock magnet before blindly switching in an A8.

I intended to do that, but the same way I wouldn't change the magnet in a pickup without trying the stock one, I wouldn't buy a ceramic pickup without having an alnico 8 close by.

Quote by MrFlibble
None of the Parallel Axis pickups can be described as anything even remotely close to "dark". Also, SD make lots of actually "dark"-sounding pickups. And if the Invader is too dark for you then so will be every other pickup mentioned so far.

Just affraid the invader might get too bassy or muffled.
And the patb-2 has been described as darker than the sh-6, I know it's relative but looking at the specs it seems quite overwound and i assumed it would mean it has less treble than the sh-6.

Anyway, just my thoughts on it. Thank you for your comment, I really don't see a question you haven't answered.
Quote by DoAndroidsDream
Lundgren M6. The guys from Meshuggah use Lundgren's M8 pickups in their guitars.

The price kinda scares me, have you tried them and are they worth it?
Their tone is pretty brutal but I really want to be 100% sure before taking a risk on one of these.
The Alt8 is MUCH brighter than the distortion.
Check this out, this might help you narrow your choices down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Duncan Distortion is very tight and focused, has a good amount of mids and rather much high-end cut.
The PATB-2 is, as far as I understand, just the Parallel-Axis version of the Distortion.

Dimarzio Super Distortion has pretty big bass, again big amount of mids but less treble than the Distortion. At least it sounds 'rounder' and not AS focused.
The Super 3 is basically a tighter version of the Super Distortion.
The Breed is tight, round, warm, but rather warm and doesn't have a particularly aggressive tone. Rather versatile, but probably not the greatest pickup for metal.

As for the ceramic magnet pickups: Don't headfirst say that you can't stand them without hearing the particular pickup.

Now, what I would suggest for you:

Dimarzio Gravity Storm: more aggressive and bigger tone than the Breed, while still tight sounding.
Dimarzio Dominion: thick sound, huge mids, not shrill, very articulate and tight

However, the Super Distortion and Super 3 might also work very well.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Strat007
What's your amp?

Bugera 6262 (upgraded tubes)
Quote by JesusCrisp
Duncan Distortion is very tight and focused, has a good amount of mids and rather much high-end cut.
The PATB-2 is, as far as I understand, just the Parallel-Axis version of the Distortion.

"much high-end cut" trying to avoid that
Quote by JesusCrisp
Now, what I would suggest for you:

Dimarzio Gravity Storm: more aggressive and bigger tone than the Breed, while still tight sounding.
Dimarzio Dominion: thick sound, huge mids, not shrill, very articulate and tight

The lower output is the reason I didn't consider them, the amp has plenty of gain but I'm affraid they may not be compressed enough, I don't like pickups too compressed, but enough so that i can play lead comfortably.
Still can't stop thinking how the gravity storm would do with an alnico 8...
Quote by oneblackened
The Alt8 is MUCH brighter than the distortion.
Check this out, this might help you narrow your choices down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

It's really not "brighter", it's more articulate. It's also a pickup that can sound completely different depending on the guitar it is put in (let alone how you play).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's really not "brighter", it's more articulate. It's also a pickup that can sound completely different depending on the guitar it is put in (let alone how you play).

It certainly sounds brighter to me. At least, it sounds a little scooped in comparison.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Actually try it for yourself; it's got more prominent mid response than anything. "Scooped" is absolutely the last thing the Alt8 could ever be described as. A Custom 5 is "scooped". An Alt8 is, if anything, hilariously mids-thick.
As others have said, the Alternative 8 really seems to be what you're describing you want. Personally I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Custom for metal.
Any opinions on Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 vs Alnico 8 Dimarzio Gravity Storm?
I'll be amazed if anybody in the world has tried a Gravity Storm with an A8 magnet, yet. That pickup still isn't even available in most regions of the world. You're going to have to wait another six months or so on that one.
I have to agree with you on that one, but i was hoping some alnico 8 lovers might shine in with a prediction or something.
Ok so I'm gonna say the pickup first - Bare Knuckle Aftermath.
I can speak to experience as I currently own guitars with Duncan Invaders, Hotrails, PAFs, Dimarzio DeActivators, EMGs, and even a Bare Knuckles Miracle Man and the Aftermath's by far are my favorite pickup....ever. You will not be disappointed. I play thru an Egnater Armageddon and the tone those pickups have on heavy riffs is just incredible. Just fat and heavy, yet pristine. You can hear ever last little nuance of very fast picking. It's almost ridiculous how good it sounds.
LIVE RIG
Egnater Armageddon | Primary/A-side
412B | 2 GT12-75 + 2 Hot 100 in an X pattern
Carvin MTS-3200 | Secondary/B-side
412B | 4 Hot 100 Celestions
Digitech GSP1101
Korg DTR2000
Behringer FCB1010
Dunlop Mark Tremonti Wah
I'm a little affraid of the low-end, or lack of it, at least from what I've read the bass is a little small? That's what makes pickups so tight, wich I don't really care for, tight is good but no need to be extrememly tight and lack bass. But checking their pickups the warpig alnico sounds like a good choice, anyone tried those?