Hi guys, yesterday I decided to buy a new set of strings because the current string on my guitar is more than a year old now. Before I'm just using a china brand 9's string. Yesterday I bought a D' Addario and decided to get a heavier guage which is 10's.

As I am replacing the string, I feel that its stiffer to tune the guitar. Also I noticed while tuning my low E, my guitar tuner shows that the note is on the high E. Please take note that I my guitar is plugged directly to the tuner, don't know if this has an effect if I am using my tuner's mic and guitar is plugged in the amp.

After tuning my low E, I then replace the A string. I can feel the tension again the while Im near tuning the A string, the string breaks. I then try to replace the D string thinking that I'll try to find where I can buy a single A string. Then the same happens to the D string. As of now I haven't replaced the other strings, if it still breaks I guess Im off to buy a new set of 9's. I also noticed that the tension of the A and D is the highest among all the strings. Also the part where the string breaks is at the tuners, I dont thinks it's because of some sharp part on the saddles, the nut or the tuners because the string is somewhat wounded on the tuners and the part that breaks is not touching the metal on the tuners.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'll be replacing the other strings now and see if it'll break, /that'll make me decide if I have to buy a new set of lower guage or just the strings that broke.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if you are just changing one string aren't you tuning it by ear? At least until it's close. When you're way out, the tuner can tell you all sorts of bs. Do it by ear. Even if you are changing all your strings at once you should do the initial tune by ear to at least get it in the ballpark.

Also try tuning with the harmonic at the 12th fret. It's a purer tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 3, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if you are just changing one string aren't you tuning it by ear? At least until it's close. When you're way out, the tuner can tell you all sorts of bs. Do it by ear. Even if you are changing all your strings at once you should do the initial tune by ear to at least get it in the ballpark.

Also try tuning with the harmonic at the 12th fret. It's a purer tone.

Im not good at tuning by ear yet...

Also please note that some parts on my post where I say "tuners" means that the electronic guitar tuner and also the tuning peg of the guitar.
I just mean to get it close by ear. You can finish it off with the tuner. I just mean when you are taking up the slack. Listen to what you are doing and give yourself a reference from the other strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just bought a new set of string, same guage... I now know why and that is because I messed up. While tuning replacing the string yesterday, I somewhat missed the right tension and the right tune (I dont know the term) but still I tried to tune it, hence making the tension of the string much stiffer, I guess it's just luck that the low E string didn't break. Then while replacing the next 2 strings, Im trying to match the tension of the low E string then thats were it breaks. I just noticed it when I tried to tune down the 6th string and managed to tune it right with the right tension...

Quote by Cathbard
I just mean to get it close by ear. You can finish it off with the tuner. I just mean when you are taking up the slack. Listen to what you are doing and give yourself a reference from the other strings.

I got what you mean, I thought earlier to train start training my self to tune the guitar by ear. Everytime before I practice Im always detuning my guitar and trying to tune it by ear before practicing... Seems like mastering to tune the 6th string first will help me very much.
I change the strings 1 at a time, this way you know your at the right pitch and not over tightening them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I change the strings 1 at a time, this way you know your at the right pitch and not over tightening them.

I did that too, but I screwed up and didn't noticed that I am past the right pitch thats why I overtightened it, what a waste cause I bought a new set again just to have the 2 broken strings...