Put UK Celestion 75s and 65s I bought of dude on CL in x-pattern in 1960b cab. My cab sounded pretty good with the chinese 75s and UK v30s I had in it. The 75/65 combo has no low end and I get this weird farty rumble when I palm mute. WTF is happening? Are these speakers jacked up or am I experiencing phase issues in x-pattern? Dude that had them before had them stacked vertically in his 1960a. Never played the speakers prior to putting them in my cab so I have no reference. I just trusted the dude that these speakers worked. I let him have the cab cuz it was thrashed and uninstalled the speakers myself in the parking lot of a gas station. Dude says they worked fine in his cab when he sold them to me and I can't argue otherwise. Feel like I just experienced a bad drug deal. Always test the merchandise my friends. Speaker cones aren't scratchy or physically damaged in anyway. Look to be in excellent condition. Can issues like this occur due to a shitty solder job (it was my first solder job ever) or is it the phase (in x-pattern) or are these speakers bunk? Thanks.

-TDL
If you're pulling apart the wiring anyway you can test each speaker easily enough. Just have the speaker in question wired in by itself. They're 16 ohm speakers from the factory. You may want to check that he's put the right ones in there while you're at it.
After you've done that and determined that none of them are busted come back and report.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you're pulling apart the wiring anyway you can test each speaker easily enough. Just have the speaker in question wired in by itself. They're 16 ohm speakers from the factory. You may want to check that he's put the right ones in there while you're at it.
After you've done that and determined that none of them are busted come back and report.
I don't want to blow my amp. How do I do that with my 1960b cab? Do I just take the positive and negative cables from one speaker and have it hooked to the jack plate? Which side do I have it hooked to there are 4 terminals on the circuit board? My head is 100 watts won't I blow a 75 or 65 watt speaker? I can take out two tubes and run it at 50 watt I guess. Lastly, since they are 16ohm speakers I would obviously plug my head into the 16ohm jack right? Thanks.

-TDL
Do you have a multimeter? Just plug in a cable and find which terminal goes where on the cable using the resistance meter. Wire it up to that and switch the amp to 16 (given that they are 16 ohm speakers like they should be)

As for the power, don't turn it up full. Even the 65 will take a good 80W before it pops. To test it you don't have to crank the amp. Keep the volume down below 2. You'll still know if the speaker is ****ed or not at that volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No multimeter. I mean I do know which terminals are positive and negative on the circuit board. If I was facing the back of the cab I don't know if I should be using the two left terminals behind the 4ohm jack or the two terminals on the right behind the 16ohm jack. Maybe either or will work. Or do I need to have it looped where I have 4 wires... two from the left terminals to the speakers then two wires from the speaker returning the the two right terminals?
Can you post a picture? My 1960 is still in the car and it's too much hassle to bring it in and pull the back off it. If everything is disconnected it doesn't really matter. It should be fairly obvious really just looking at it. You just need a path for both wires to both sides of the jack.

Edit. And buy a multimeter. You can get useable digital multimeters for like $20 now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Terminals from above looks like-

Speaker/Speaker
--------------------
+ - + -
--------------------
4ohmJ 16ohmJ
Pictures doable its just a mission. Gotta open the back anyway. Let me get to work! Back in awhile!
Well, logically; 4 ohm is all speakers in parallel so connect it to any pair of +/- and use the 4 ohm input on the cab and it has to be connected.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 4, 2013,
OMFG DUDE. I merely had my positive and negative wires backwards on the two right terminals! WTF. I was bullshitting with my wife when I was wiring it up and I must have overlooked that I had put the +/- wires on the opposite terminals! Wacked. I made a snap judgment b/c I thought these were shit and bought a quad of UK v30s off ebay to replace these immediately too! Hahahahaha. Wow. Guess I can sell these if I like the v30s better and not feel like I'm selling someone broken speakers. Thank goodness. Guess I need to learn to trouble shoot before I go making purchases! Thanks brotherman.

-TDL