So as some of you who saw my impending NGD thread know I found an awesome deal on a new guitar lately... A Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe brand new for just £280!

This thing is awesome, I still can't quite get over the price. These were ~700 when in production and even if I had paid 700 for it I would still consider it a bargain, the build quality is just that good!

Originally it came with a korean made OFR, which wasn't bad but just wasn't as responsive as the Schaller made OFR so I swapped that out.

The specs:
*Mahogany body
*Maple neck
*Ebony fretboard
*Set-Through construction
*Figured Maple top (this appears to just be printed but still looks good so i'm not fussed)
*Rockfield Black Betty active pups
*OFR (originally a Korean made model but swapped for a proper Schaller one made in Germany)
*Grover tuners

The only guitar I was willing to swap some bits around on had a gold OFR so this new guitar currently has a mix of gold and black hardware, which the jury is still out on, but I quite like it so may leave it that way. Opinions?

Anyway, now to the pic! Sorry about the mobile camera quality, also sorry about my messy bed haha

This thing plays really well, comparable to my ESP in many ways, which just proves the quality! The medium jumbo frets are gonna take a little getting used to as i'm used to extra jumbo but that shouldn't take long.

Overall this thing was a total bargain!

EDIT: Oops, meant to post this in Electric Guitar. Mods, feel free to move this if you want.
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at May 4, 2013,
Locking Grovers or normal?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Normal, i don't think there'd be much point in locking ones since it has a locking nut. Though I suppose it would help with string slippage during string changes but meh, I never have issue with that anyway.
that's really nice

i can't really see the chrome tuners in the pic you posted so can't really say how the mismatched hardware looks
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Normal, i don't think there'd be much point in locking ones since it has a locking nut. Though I suppose it would help with string slippage during string changes but meh, I never have issue with that anyway.
Yeah, true. But they do make changing strings easier. I have Grover lockers on my tele and I'm extremely impressed with them. I have a normal nut on that though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys, it plays as good as it looks. It performed brilliantly at the studio last night and sounded awesome!

BTW Dave_Mc, the tuners are black.

Yeah i can imagine it does make string changes easier, Cathbard. Though that said I like to leave a little extra on the peg anyway in case of a break when i'm in the middle of playing and just want fix it up quickly so I don't know how much faster locking tuners would be in my case.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30

BTW Dave_Mc, the tuners are black.

ah that explains why i couldn't see them. I see them now. I was looking for the chrome and couldn't see anything
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
(originally a Korean made model but swapped for a proper Schaller one made in Germany)

Those Germans, man, they knew! THEY KNEW!

I quite like the black/gold thing. It's a little less flamboyant than all gold.

NGD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Awesome, HNGD
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I normally break string part way along because I hit the strings too hard. There's no solution to that except replacing the string.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haha shit man, that's some aggressive picking. I don't think I've ever had one break anywhere other than the bridge.
I attack my guitar. I don't caress it, I hit it. I'm a punk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That thing is purdy. Looks like a great deal you scored there. Enjoy it, and HNGD!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
That thing is purdy. Looks like a great deal you scored there. Enjoy it, and HNGD!

Yeah man definitely a great deal! After the tweaking and a set up it plays every bit as nicely as my Horizon FRII, a guitar that costs 6 times as much as I paid for this!! Which is just mind bogglingly insane really. I never thought it possible! Though don't get me wrong, the overall quality of the ESP is better, but in terms of playability and feel, they're the same.
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at May 6, 2013,