Hey! You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about guitars, so I thought I'd sign up and ask you guys a question! I'm currently looking to buy an Epiphone Les Paul 100 in heritage cherry sunburst finish (I'm a big fan of the color red :P) but there's something I've noticed: there seems to be two slightly different versions of the heritage cherry sunburst finish!

It started when I was shopping around and noticed that stores seem to be using two different photos of the guitar:

Do you see the difference? The orange center in the first image is more yellow-ish and the red on the outside is darker. I thought maybe the photo was inaccurate (bad lighting or something) but then I found these two photos being used on official Les Paul websites:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-100.aspx

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-100.aspx

I really like the finish on the one shown on the Epiphone website, so I'm worried that if I buy from a store that uses the photo from the Gibson website, that's the finish I'll be getting.

I've asked Gibson themselves, they say there's only one version of the cherry sunburst finish. Looking at people's photos on the internet, I'm seeing a lot of guitars that look like the photo on Epiphone's site, but I can't really see any that look like the one on Gibson's site.

Does anyone know the story here?
Don't waist your money on the LP100, they are not very good at all.
Look for a used LP standard
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
U R killin me, gregs...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Finishes are still done by hand and by different employees

even if the factory might have highly automated production lines

that might explain the different results of doing the same color
One of the little Asian kids isn't eating tonight. His finishes are inferior to the other little Asian kid next to him....

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Screws are in a different place on the pickguard too. The one that holds the middle to the edge of the guitar. The 90 degree holder thingy. That's in a different place in both pictures too.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Thanks for all your responses guys!

Gregs: Those are Standards you posted, not 100s aren't they?
I don't really mind that the color resembles something Pennywise might play, as I said, I like the color red, so it appeals to me :P

As to actually using it, I want a 100 because of how it looks. I'm not a serious guitarist, I just wanna mess around and play a few songs here and there. So it's also partially serving as a display piece :P I currently have an LP Junior, which is great for just playing, but I want something that looks better. I'd love to get a Standard, but they cost twice as much as a 100.

Lavatain: That's a great point! Do you think this points to the different finishes being two different "versions"?
If your in the USA there are 3 LP standard Cherry burst for $250 on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear just type in Les paul standard in the searchbar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can order from some USA sites and if it is under $1000 I believe you don't have to pay import taxes.
Guitarcenter
Sweetwater
Musicians Friend
Music 123
Zzounds
American Musical Supply
All will ship to Austrailia, but I'm not sure of what they will ship.

You can look used in your area, even though you get screwed in Au the resale of the standard should still be about the price of the LP100 is new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sweetwater - I've emailed them, they say they can't ship to Australia due to Gibson's requesting that they don't.
Zzounds - They only ship to the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and AFO/FPO US Territories
Guitar Center - Changing your location to "Australia" dramaticially cuts the stock quantity, so I'd say they don't ship much to Australia.
American Musical Supply - They only ship to Canada and US Territories

All the others seem good though!
Little variations occur all throughout a product's lifetime.

Just so you know, if you order a guitar, it will never look like the stock picture unless they actually send you the guitar the took the picture of. There are always variances, especially in bursts.

The exception is if they're literally printing the finish. I don't think that's the case here, but it is an LP100... I wouldn't be surprised.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dannyalcatraz
U R killin me, gregs...

wouldn't be doin' my job if i didn't.

Quote by fireaza
Thanks for all your responses guys!

Gregs: Those are Standards you posted, not 100s aren't they?

yeah those are actually supposed to be good guitars, unlike the LP100.

but your question was about the finishes, and they are all clowny as ****.

Last edited by gregs1020 at May 5, 2013,
Some of those spray jobs look to have been done a tad crappy... I mean that one that isn't even reasonably close to being right, if you were the painter and you ****ed up that bad wouldn't ya just say **** it and paint the whole thing red???
Quote by gregs1020
wouldn't be doin' my job if i didn't.

yeah those are actually supposed to be good guitars, unlike the LP100.

but your question was about the finishes, and they are all clowny as ****.

Yeah, I'd love to get a Standard (I actually like the design of the inlays better than the 100), gonna see if I can find a used one for a good price. If not, well the 100 is really the only guitar in my price range. Either way, it's cherry sunburst all the way, just stick some big novelty shoes on me and call me Bozo :P
Quote by Offworld92
Little variations occur all throughout a product's lifetime.

Just so you know, if you order a guitar, it will never look like the stock picture unless they actually send you the guitar the took the picture of. There are always variances, especially in bursts.

The exception is if they're literally printing the finish. I don't think that's the case here, but it is an LP100... I wouldn't be surprised.

If you order from sweetwater you get what you see

Just so you know........
Of course, Sweetwater doesn't use stock pictures.

Great site, btw. They're whole customer relationship spiel can be pretty annoying, but they're good people.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Importing from an American store isn't worth it. Not only do you have to pay for the shipping but you'll also have to pay very high import and customs fees and taxes and any warranty the guitar had will be void. if there is any problem with the guitar—which is 50/50 when it comes to Epiphoens—you're totally screwed.

If you import from a European store then at least you know the guitar will have gone through more thorough QC, so there's less chance of getting a dodgy one. Even so, you'll be paying more than if you bought one from your own country. These companies aren't stupid, they're not going to put the prices higher for you natively than it is for you to import.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Importing saves a lot of $$$ if you life in Australia, like the OP does....

It can sometimes be worth importing, even with the high shipping price, since everything is so expensive in Australia. We don't pay import taxes or custom fees, provided the item is worth less than $1000, so this also makes importing a great option Shipping fees can be odd though, some guy in America will ship a guitar to you for $32, while it's $107 for another guy in America.
That's a good idea! I'll see what I can find on Japanese websites!
Whew! We're on page 2: no clowns!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by fireaza
It can sometimes be worth importing, even with the high shipping price, since everything is so expensive in Australia. We don't pay import taxes or custom fees, provided the item is worth less than $1000, so this also makes importing a great option Shipping fees can be odd though, some guy in America will ship a guitar to you for $32, while it's $107 for another guy in America.

Thomann.de ships you every guitar for 50 Euro

you can get a brand new Epi LP Standard for 444 AUD shipped to your door
Well, I've checked Japan, shipping is cheaper, but the guitars themselves seem to be as expensive as they are over here. paruwi has a good idea about Europe, I might give the website he suggested a look!

*EDIT* I can get a B-stock Standard Plustop PRO from thomann.de for $416 shipped! That's a nice price! Are B-stocks in noticeably poorer condition than a new? Also, are thomann.de the cheapest site when it comes to Europe?
Last edited by fireaza at May 6, 2013,
B-stocks for most brands tend to be cosmetic blemishes, or in some cases, guitars that have been returned to the manufacturer for some reason that legally prevents them being sold as new. If you ask, they'll probably tell you exactly why it is a B-stock.

I think B-stocks can be a real bargain.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 6, 2013,
Quote by fireaza

Nice!

No Coulrophobia (fear of clowns) for me- its just that the juxtaposition of Bozo and those guitars gives me the giggles.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

I've bought a few B-stocks form Thomann before. The discounts tend to be too good to pass up, even on low-end models, and none of the guitars I've seen come from them have had actual problems; it's always been a slight bubble in the paint, a scratch on the headstock, etc.
I actally bought a B-stock Epi LP Studio from them not too long ago and was surprised to see really good-quality pots and capacitors in there, as well as a noticably nicer switch and jack. At first I thought Epiphone had stepped up their game, but it turns out it had arrived with some faulty electronics and rather than reject it and send it all the way back to China, someone at either Epiphone's EU quality control or Thomann had simply replaced all the electronics with better parts and sent it on as cheap B-stock.

That's not to say that every B-stock item you buy from there will be upgraded for you, but the point is I have no fear of buying any B-stock or demo item from Thomann, at least when it comes to guitars. With amps you need to be more careful because obviously there's the difference in power betwene countries.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Cool, I'll send them an email and ask exactly why it's a B-stock. From the looks of things, they have multiple B-stock Standard Plustop PRO, is that common?
Yup. They move a lot of stock so it's to be expected that they would also have a lot of B-stock and ex-demo units. The more things you sell the more you're going to get the odd flaw show up.